Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
COVID-19: Scrimmage games | July 23 (NBATV), 26 (NBATV), 28 (FSSW) for DAL
I’m almost down to copy paper. After that my tree is gonna have to keep producing leaves or my butt will have to talk to the hand!  Tongue

(03-22-2020, 08:35 PM)MrGoat Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 08:11 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 06:48 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 03:03 AM)MrGoat Wrote: This Kung Flu created a new currency that I wish I invested in earlier. It's a paper currency rolled onto these hollow brown cylindrical tubes, I believe it is called buttcoin

Sorry to disappoint you - while it should be a stable investment in times of crisis, as one unhappy producer of toilet paper stated: "people don't sh!t more than usual, so the currently increased demand will soon be followed by a decreased demand, when people live out of stock. Basically the current situation is causing logistic problems and nothing more ... "   There's very limited groth potential in that kind of market Big Grin .

Stay healthy!
If people use it in the way MrGoat suggested, then the rich (people with more TP) would sell it to the poor (people with less TP) for more than they bought it for and that would spread the "wealth" so as to make the time living from their stock a shorter period of time, making the period of logistic problems less an issue. When this is over, if the rich didn't sell to the poor, the poor will have to stock up quicker than the rich and I suspect there are more poor than rich.

All that stemmed from a joke. Shy

Kind of like the diamond market. Hoard the supply to create a false scarcity to keep the value high. Truly a craptocurrency

Though when they put Leonardo Di Caprio in a movie about it they may need to find a catchier title than Blood Paper
Blood Toilet?

What did the five fingers say to the butt? SWIPE!  Big Grin
Like Reply
I've been forced to shower after every deed now that I've ran out of toilet paper. Makes it inconvenient, but hey I just look at it that I have a super powered bidet.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-23-2020, 01:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been forced to shower after every deed now that I've ran out of toilet paper. Makes it inconvenient, but hey I just look at it that I have a super powered bidet.

Everyone I know made fun of me for getting a bidet. Who's laughing now?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2882...atter-what
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(03-23-2020, 03:31 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(03-23-2020, 01:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've been forced to shower after every deed now that I've ran out of toilet paper. Makes it inconvenient, but hey I just look at it that I have a super powered bidet.

Everyone I know made fun of me for getting a bidet. Who's laughing now?
[Image: 3s99xy.jpg]
Like Reply
Tick season is here.

Now you can get lyme with your Corona

https://twitter.com/pj_hurt/status/1240107644431618057

https://twitter.com/WhippetmomDeb/status...8829741057
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...5075449856

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1242424397081841670
Like Reply
(03-24-2020, 09:56 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...5075449856

Listening closely to the President and the COVID-19 task force extended press conference yesterday, I can see why the NBA is saying they think they can save the season now.  

Its a combination of the latest data on the coronavirus, its impact, mortality severity numbers, age and curve and cycle of 3 months they anticipate. 
There's also a willingness to accept some degree of risk in order to move forward. 

Barring unexpected shifts or events, I can see this happening.  Smile
Like Reply
(03-24-2020, 10:53 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 09:56 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...5075449856

Listening closely to the President and the COVID-19 task force extended press conference yesterday, I can see why the NBA is saying they think they can save the season now.  

Its a combination of the latest data on the coronavirus, its impact, mortality severity numbers, age and curve and cycle of 3 months they anticipate. 
There's also a willingness to accept some degree of risk in order to move forward. 

What are those numbers?

If the hospitals are overloaded, then it means some patients will die because they cant get treatment. In this case, potentially quiet many. The current estimation is around 0.5%-1.0% if everyone is treated well in hopsitals that function. And quiet more if not. This seems catastrophic.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1242441662208622594

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/1242441663311753217
Like Reply
As of right now, no deal yet. Both sides just can't do anything that goes against their position. Not for any reason apparently. They may still get something done because both sides are losing in the court of public opinion. It will be very interesting to read exactly what they do, assuming that something will happen...hopefully today.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(03-24-2020, 04:05 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: As of right now, no deal yet. Both sides just can't do anything that goes against their position. Not for any reason apparently. They may still get something done because both sides are losing in the court of public opinion. It will be very interesting to read exactly what they do, assuming that something will happen...hopefully today.
https://khn.org/wp-content/uploads/sites...st-512.jpg
Like Reply
I know it's not very nice, but I hope Rand Paul managed to cough on some senators and congressmen before he was diagnosed. All the trying by both sides to attach sinister unnecessary shit to an important bill that needs to be passed fast is unforgivable
Like Reply
(03-24-2020, 11:35 AM)burekemde Wrote:

What are those numbers?

If the hospitals are overloaded, then it means some patients will die because they cant get treatment. In this case, potentially quiet many. The current estimation is around 0.5%-1.0% if everyone is treated well in hospitals that function. And quiet more if not. This seems catastrophic.

Some numbers that they think may predict a 3 month curve with a cycle where the virus peaks and declines.  The numbers indicating most children and younger adults are not getting severly ill or hospitalized.
The numbers indicating positive results from behavioral changes among the population, social distancing, hand washing etc. 
The numbers showing positive anecdotal results from some treatments, even though nothing is conclusive yet on those. 

I'm not validating the numbers here of course, I wouldn't know, simply saying that this is what they were referring to in terms of a predictive timeline. 
Cuban and the NBA brass are likely basing their hopes on the same sort of data with the idea that accepting some level of declining virus infections is better than doing nothing.
Like Reply
Do we have any other medical workers on this board? What is your experience?
In my hospital in Berlin things are still normal. We have seperate ERs and ICUs for COVID-19 patients. If possible workers from the COVID unit are separated from the remaining nurses and physicians. As of now the situation is still under control and we don´t have any shortages (well maybe gloves). Maybe it´s just the calm before the storm. The case numbers are still growing exponentially.
Before I started working I moved out of the house. My fiance and her sister (plus child) are living together and I moved into my soon to be sister in law´s apartment. Sucks to be alone but it´s better to be safe than sorry.

Watching from europe the situation in the US is really concerning. I don´t think we will see any basketball in the summer. It seems like testing started way to late and the virus spread all over the east and west coast. Only a matter of time before the virus will shut down the rest of the country as well.
Delayed peaks in different states make it even more difficult. NY could be over the worst in a few month (just like Wuhan) but at the same time other states will probably see a peak or just enter lockdown mode.
Like Reply
(03-24-2020, 11:38 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(03-24-2020, 11:35 AM)burekemde Wrote:

What are those numbers?

If the hospitals are overloaded, then it means some patients will die because they cant get treatment. In this case, potentially quiet many. The current estimation is around 0.5%-1.0% if everyone is treated well in hospitals that function. And quiet more if not. This seems catastrophic.

Some numbers that they think may predict a 3 month curve with a cycle where the virus peaks and declines.  The numbers indicating most children and younger adults are not getting severly ill or hospitalized.
The numbers indicating positive results from behavioral changes among the population, social distancing, hand washing etc. 
The numbers showing positive anecdotal results from some treatments, even though nothing is conclusive yet on those. 

I'm not validating the numbers here of course, I wouldn't know, simply saying that this is what they were referring to in terms of a predictive timeline. 
Cuban and the NBA brass are likely basing their hopes on the same sort of data with the idea that accepting some level of declining virus infections is better than doing nothing.

The impact this will have, raises questions if the next season will be played; not if the current season will be resumed. My guess is that the next season will be cancelled as well. With a new pandemic that nobody is immune for, like the spanish flu, it takes at least two full years, and multiple waves. Typically second and tertiary waves are more deadly, and hit at times where the health care system is really down after the first wave, and people are exhausted mentally, physically and economically. Many of us already feel it after two weeks. Some of you already miss toilet paper. Wait for the second and third waves after many other companies go down and more products are missing.

Do you think anyone in Italy wants to even watch football now with what is happening. Nobody cares, and people are usually under normal circumstances are even more passionate about their main sport, but now do not even care about it. When so many people die, that is what makes it. The key is to get the situation under control. Sport is secondary to this.

The way that USA underestimates the situation, and even considering opening up, it might get much worse than in Italy - this is is my huge concern.

At the moment there are still chances to get rid of the virus. This takes extreme care like they did in China, and testing. However to me it seems that the Western World is not suited at all for this, and this is the biggest issue right now. Where the chinese can stay at home, the people in the West can not. Its too spoiled, a luxurious life we are used to live, and this is not compatible with battling a serious epidemic.
Like Reply
Need at least a two months complete shutdown/shelter in place.  That would take us to Memorial Day/late May.

Even after that, it seems stupid to have people gather in large crowds at games for another few months.

I guess I could see NBA playing games without fans late May/early June but that's pretty optimistic.
Like Reply
(03-25-2020, 10:40 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Need at least a two months complete shutdown/shelter in place.  That would take us to Memorial Day/late May.

Even after that, it seems stupid to have people gather in large crowds at games for another few months.

I guess I could see NBA playing games without fans late May/early June but that's pretty optimistic.

It ain´t happening. Cuban was a bit of a doofus. How can you tell people to lockdown and then have a group of 70 people minimum in close physical contact. Both rosters, coaches, other team staff, referees, clock operators, announcers, camera crew. They´d also have to fly all over America, then go home to their families.

This will be serious, because the government is once again completely driven by money all around the western world. A full on lockdown for two months would have been the correct approach, probably the cheapest too. Instead they´ll drag this out forever with a little bit of isolation here and there...
Like Reply
(03-26-2020, 03:02 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 10:40 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Need at least a two months complete shutdown/shelter in place.  That would take us to Memorial Day/late May.

It ain´t happening. Cuban was a bit of a doofus. How can you tell people to lockdown and then have a group of 70 people minimum in close physical contact. Both rosters, coaches, other team staff, referees, clock operators, announcers, camera crew. They´d also have to fly all over America, then go home to their families.

This will be serious, because the government is once again completely driven by money all around the western world. A full on lockdown for two months would have been the correct approach, probably the cheapest too. Instead they´ll drag this out forever with a little bit of isolation here and there...
Doesn't it all depend on the work going into testing for the virus? I look at it as if everyone is tested going into (closed game with no fans) and out of the arena, then there isn't much harm in it. Precautions and taking this seriously is what needs to happen no matter how long this goes on. Watched the tail end of WWE Smackdown last friday night (son saw it and begged), there was no crowd, it was REALLY weird. The acting was the same, with pauses and everything, just no roaring of the crowd.
Like Reply
(03-26-2020, 04:57 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Doesn't it all depend on the work going into testing for the virus? I look at it as if everyone is tested going into (closed game with no fans) and out of the arena, then there isn't much harm in it. 

Testing is far from perfect. Data at this point estimates the sensitivity of the available testing may be as low as 70% meaning there are many false negatives.
Like Reply