Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't Josh Richardson be that guy?
(06-29-2021, 09:36 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I've haven't been a big fan of JRich time here, to say the least, but I also think if the Mavs can get a 2nd scoring guard/wing like like DeRozan that JRich isn't a bad veteran defensive minded  2 guard to put in that lineup.   You  just can't have him as your 2 guard if you're also getting average or below average offense from your small forward.   Not in today's NBA, at least.   I don't think he'll be very expensive and I like his length.   I also think he could have had a down year dealing with the after effects of reportedly a pretty bad case of COVID.   I really think a 1-4 of Luka, JRich, DeRozan, DoDo/Maxi is a pretty nice blend of shooting, playmaking and defense where no one in the front court is smaller than 6'6".   Getting DoDo's 3P% up to ~38% the last couple of years is a pretty big deal.  With KP and/or Maxi as a stretch big, adds enough shooting at the 4 and 5 that it allows you some padding to compensate for DeRozan and JRich.

I think if JRich opts in, you have enough to sign DeRozan for roughly 4/100.  That probably gets it done (especially because of the 4th year).  If you only want 3 years then it would be 3/70 and I don't know that gets it done.

I do think JRich got hit hard by Covid and had a down year.  I would expect his 3% to be better (probably closer to league average).  My bigger concern is that he likes to operate in the mid range, and we already have Luka and DeRozan in there.  I feel like a better match would be a true 3&D player like Green.  There really are not a lot of options at the roughly MLE level we will have after signing DeRozan.

It's kind of sad reading this thread.  There was reason to get really excited by this trade.  I think if JRich played this year as we had hoped, we might still be playing right now.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why can't Josh Richardson be that guy? - by mvossman - 06-29-2021, 11:12 AM