Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM…
(06-14-2021, 01:41 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: In fairness, Cato isn't the type of writer to go make up a bunch of stories and publish them for click bait. He is a serious guy and does have sources. Sam Amick, who is a national guy, is also a very reputable reporter/writer. 

As to who the sources were, and how much of the truth, if any, they revealed, that is of course a legitimate question.

I gotta back sefant up on this point.  I read Cato quite a bit and I have never gotten the sense he has any inside sources.  Marc Stein was a classic Mavs insider.  Reading a Cato article is like reading someone on this board.  Good analysis, defensible opinions, but I never hear him quoting someone within the circle unless it is straight from the press conference.  And his predictions are terrible.  Maybe he has conducted a couple sit-down interviews with Boban or Willie.  In fact, this is the first article I can recall of his where he actually attributes to sources.

Writing an article about internal strife right now is pretty easy, given we all see a terrible dynamic on the court right now.  Maybe it's injuries and COVID.  Maybe it IS power struggles in the office.  I take this article with a giant grain of salt.

Bob V. was hired in the fall of 2018, and Carlisle was given that "quiet" contract restructure for more pay and more years in March of 2019.  Hard to characterize that as Bob getting more power than Carlisle.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Athletic: Inside the Mavericks front office, Mark Cuban’s shadow GM… - by DaRiv - 06-14-2021, 08:55 PM