Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INJURY: DPowell w/ achilles | DP likely to be w/ 1st unit
(11-18-2020, 09:54 AM)KillerLeft Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Just look at Wes Matthews. He actually had one of the best post injury careers among guys with a torn achilles and he never came close to his pre injury level.

Question: Are we sure Mathews was that much worse after the injury? Is it possible he was always not that great, only we didn't see him consistently enough to realize it because we didn't watch Portland every night? I'm not SAYING that, just asking. 

I mean, there are Mavs fans (lots of them) who think Andre Drummond is a good player. There are tons of players our fans want in Dallas who I believe they would HATE if they were actually Mavs.

He was a way quicker and could stay in front of PGs. He was one of the best 3&D SGs in the league and defended the best opposing perimeter scorer.
After the injury the Mavs played him as the full time SF to hide his lack of quickness. That obviously did not work because he lacked the length to defend bigger forwards.

On offense he was able to create his own midrange jumper (similar to THJ). After the injury his dribble pull up game was replaced with post ups.
A play call that still haunts me in my dreams.

Quick look at the numbers:

Last two seasons in Portland 16/4/2 59% TS, 16 PER
With the Mavs 13/3/3 54% TS, 11 PER

That said. Wes Matthews is not a bad NBA player and I wouldn´t mind having him back on a reasonable contract (vet min). He can still shoot and at least hustles on defense. Seems like other contenders are having similar thoughts. According to the latest rumors the Lakers are interested and the Bucks want to resign him.

Side note:
Andre Drummond is not a good player. At least for teams that want to win. He has potential as a tank commander. Fancy boxscore numbers and bad defense are valuable for teams like the Knicks.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: INJURY: DPowell w/ achilles | should start the season ready to go - by dirkfansince1998 - 11-18-2020, 10:26 AM