Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 4.0 pt RAPTOR & 3.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
80.00%
4 80.00%
Spurs
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 66: DAL (39-27) @ SAS (27-36) | 109-119 loss
(03-11-2020, 12:14 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:24 PM)mtrot Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:18 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: Another game that it's not on the coach, not on the refs. It's on our MAX guy that reverted back to his struggling days from early in the season. 7-32 on the last 2 games. 1-13 from deep. Hope he gets his mojo back or we won't win a single game come playoff time. Also Jackson and Boban are 3rd stringers and shouldn't see the court in the post-season. I guess Maxi is still feeling the effects of guarding Zion, because his games after that are trash.
I call BS on that.  Boban scores more easily than any other Mav, and vacuums up loads of rebounds.  Just because he got stripped a couple times tonight does not change that.  They can coach him up on how to prevent that.

Agree, and I raise your BS with a Double BS.  Huh  

Carlisle was giving the post game a try but give LaMarcus credit.  Marjanovic backed him all the way down to the hoop a couple of times and he did the only thing he could do, he hacked the hell out of Boban.   Notice that he also paid a price himself, getting up off the floor after the 2nd collision.  Be nice to see the other team get wore down sometimes. Fortunately for him the Spurs were getting home cooking like crazy from the refs so what should have been 2 fouls against him turned into 2 Dallas turnovers for San Antonio.  

Bottom line is anyone with 2 eyes could see the fouls and and the 2nd time it was a virtual Karate chop across the arms because Boban was expecting it and went up strong but still couldn't hold on.  

Quote:They can coach him up on how to prevent that.

They could in theory but in reality the Mavericks are as you said, not committed to an inside power game.  Players and coaches have said that post players can be virtually assaulted the way the game is refereed today while aggressive perimeter players and shooters get calls all day easily. 
So that is an issue for an elite offensive big man inside today.  Boban could have held the ball out further from the body, more of a hook or baby hook shot and protected himself with offhand ala a Kareem shot but then again he was always going to be on a short leash with Carlisle. 

As for the defense, did it actually get any better without Boban in the game?  Aldridge went into the post himself and scored with ease against Kleber didn't he?  Then he started scoring all over against the little Mavs and Spurs basically ran away with it.  Defense didn't really factor in, with our without Boban. 
The Mavs offense totally hinged on the jump shooter hitting shots.  Rick Carlisle could have stayed with attack inside and forced the refs hands eventually but in fact the game got completely away from them after they gave up on the inside big attack.  

I understand his point of view.  If KP can hit some of those long 3 pointers then its a different game but then that's always the story of this offense. 
Live or die by the jumper, long jumpers, 3 pointers.  If KP is shooting poorly then Dallas is simply going to lose because he's going to be given those shots.   If he's shooting well along with Luka then the Mavs have a shot to win any game. 

Miss or Make jumpers, with this offense its that simple because let's face it this is not a team that is going to defend well enough at the rim to really beat elite teams on defense.

(03-10-2020, 09:46 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:29 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: The end of the third was not the issue it was tbe start if 4th with Lee getting minutes , no Wright in the 4th is absurd 

Things won't change here until the cancer is gone in RC

Because Lee really screwed up in those minutes....
He played solid defense. Stole the ball and drew a clear path foul. Made both FTs. Was subbed out early and wasn´t even on the floor when the Mavs gave up a big Spurs run.
Every time I read your posts I question my sanity. Did I watch a different game?

Even if he ever made a good point, I'd miss it.  I put him on ignore a solid 4-5 years ago.  Every loss somehow circles back to Carlisle.

(03-10-2020, 09:23 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: @"dmavs4life03"

Did not want to quote so much. You have watched the game. What happened when Boban was on the floor? He could not score in the post and the Mavs were killed on defense. 
What was the problem today? Mavs could not stop penetration and started to scramble on defense. They overplayed help defense and gave up open looks from the weak side. It´s not like Aldridge dominated the Mavs in the paint. He scored 24pts on terrible efficiency. That´s what the Mavs want.
Rebounding wasn´t the problem either. Spurs as a team have 5 off rebounds.
Going bigger was not the solution today. The Maxi/KP lineups and Maxi/Boban lineups were outplayed. Spurs stretched the floor and made their shots. Mavs could not defend the perimeter. The single big lineup with KP was the best today.

You complain about things that were no problem today.

I don't understand if half these people watch the games.  More WCS.  More Boban.  Used to be more Jus Jac before everyone figured out he sucked.  These guys aren't good.  There's a reason they don't play.

If you second best player shoots 3/17 or 4/15, you're probably going to lose.  It's not rocket science.

Mills and Bellineli killed us on the other end.  We don't have any good perimeter defenders.  DFS is slightly above avg.  That's it.

You're right, its not rocket science, so go back and do your basic math again.  Dodgy  

KP takes 17 shots. He makes 3.  8 of those shots are 3 pointers.  He makes 1 and many of those are well past the 3 point lines, even lower % 3 pointers. 
1 of 8 on 3 pointers.  That's your rocket science. 
They look spectacular when they go in but what does the math say your odds are? KP is shooting just under 35% on all 3's so the odds are even worse on the long 3's.  

Even if KP wasn't having a bad shooting night those chances aren't great to outscore the Spurs on 8 of those shots.  I'd rather dare the refs to ignore 5 or 6 more blatant hacks on Boban, or forget about Boban and just send the 7'3 Unicorn inside to get some high percentage shots up. 

How is it that Luka is the only player getting up consistent shots at the rim?
To me, that sort of giving up, backing down, "softness", or whatever you want to call it is what hurts the Mavs over the long term.  You cannot allow the opponent or the refs to dictate, or basically take away an important component of your game strategy.  What I would do is double down on it by continuing to get the ball to Boban down low, and force the refs to make some correct calls.  Don't give up after two missed foul calls.  It's a mental toughness issue, IMO.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 66: DAL (39-26) @ SAS (26-36) | Mar 10, 7 pm | Mavs 4.0 & 3.0 pt favs - by mtrot - 03-11-2020, 08:03 AM