Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cavs are ready to listen to trade offers for Love? (Love prefers Blazers?)
(12-09-2019, 10:15 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don't know why they just tip us Crowder, but if that can happen, I'm all for it!

My thought process is, the amount of teams willing to trade for Iggy are small. Of the ones that would want him, the teams that can actually match the salaries to make it work are even smaller. This really limits Memphis' market for Iggy.

Right now, as I see it Iggy's suitors are Lakers, Clippers, Mavericks (based on Windhorst and past interest/need), and Rockets and thats about it. The other contenders haven't been linked but I can't see a team like MIL being able to swing anything for him due to their contract situation. 

Lakers are a tough match. Unless they want to trade Danny Green, which I'm sure they won't,  they'd have to trade at least 2 players. KCP is their next highest contract at 8 mil. Which means they'd have to send at least 4 mill more of salary with him. They could do it cleanly with Bradley or McGee, but of course the Lakers wouldn't really want to do that and why would Memphis want that package? But here's the catch, KCP has a no-trade clause, and I really doubt he wants to get shipped off to the tanking purgatory in Memphis. That means they'd have to send at least 3-4 players for just Iggy alone.   So the Lakers either have to try the dead end route of pairing KCP with someone or gut their bench, which means to me the Lakers are out. That is unless they can find a 3rd team where they can ship KCP to where he'll be happy, and trade 1 of their 2 key rotation pieces, along with making it Memphis's worthwhile. If they jump through all those hoops and want to trade multiple players for just Iggy alone then good luck to them. 

Clippers are easier. They can send out Harkless and Jerome Robinson and it'd work. Harkless is an expiring, and Robinson is a young player. The only hiccup I see is why would the Clips want to give up a a starter AND young player for what's most likely to be a 20mpg dude in Iggy. They can also cobble together Patterson and Kabengle to get to that 3.5 million extra they need to match instead of Robinson, but at that point that's a starter and 2 bench players for Iggy. And for Memphis who's rebuilding, how does Harkless and either Robinson or the Pat/Kab combo help them in any way to rebuild? Clips spent their treasure trove of assets on Paul George. They have some 2nd rounders, but they're all slated to be in the mid 50's  with restrictions and I'm sure the Clips are reluctant to give up any more picks. So I while I don't count the Clips out at all, they just don't have that many interesting assets for Memphis. Maybe Memphis finds Detroit's 2021 2nd rounder enticing. 

Rockets have Nene that's expendable, but that's about it. In order to grab Iggy, they'd have to package Nene along with contracts that add up to or exceed 4.5 million. But the thing is the Rockets are already incredibly shallow. They're running their starters into the ground right now. They're basically 7 deep with Harden/Westbrook/Tucker all slated to get at least 37 minutes each game.  Rivers and Mclemore are their guys off the bench, and 1 of them would be needed to match the salaries, and I don't see why Memphis would want any of those players. Rockets traded 4 first rounders for Westbrook, so they're light on picks at the moment, and Iggy doesn't drastically move the needle for them to justify gutting what's left of an incredibly shallow team. 

Mavs as I see it have the only easy route contract matching wise AND the assets to make it Memphis's worthwhile. Mavs are in a unique position that can have them take back more salary than anyone. Iggy and Crowder make a combined 25 million. The Mavs just by sending Lee can save Memphis 13 million in salary, which is an asset in and of itself. Add onto it the Mavs can send a pseudo-first rounder in the name of the GSW 2nd to sweeten the pot. Those are 2 unique things that only the Mavs can do in the Iggy race. And the Mavs aren't taking back any long term salary so if Jae/Iggy don't work, then they can move on in the summer and only gave up a player not in the rotation who was set to leave and a good 2nd rounder for the chance at defensive greatness. And to me that's well worth the risk. Memphis essentially get rid of 2 players they aren't using/in their long term plans for massive salary savings and basically a late first rounder. 

I hope the Mavs can find a way to make this deal happen because I think having the experience of Iggy on the floor in a playoff series would be invaluable. And having 2 backup's in case DFS is sucking would be a great tool to have on a nightly basis.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cavs are ready to listen to trade offers for Love? - by SleepingHero - 12-10-2019, 12:30 AM