Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER
(12-06-2021, 11:19 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: What I get from the first few sentences is the thought of not changing the way Luka plays. A team should build around phenoms and not ask the phenom to adjust to the system. But you probably mean not asking Luka to defend as much, which I agree as well. If it takes too much of a toll on him that his offense suffers, the Mavs should just go on with a Luka running a brilliant offense than a Luka at 70% offense and a minor improvement in defense.

For the weight issue however... people are throwing out the "he-can't-be-Morant-even-if-Luka-tries-his-hardest". The thing is, some of us aren't asking for a sculpted body of Trae for Luka, or Luka to run like a gazelle, none of those superlatives matter to us. We simply want him to tone down a few notches of weight which can lead to a bump of a few notches of quickness. Luka is already strong and he doesn't need more strength as it stands, unless he wants to become a power forward. The increase in speed and quickness can do him wonders, we already know he plays like an MVP when he is fit. His weight at this point doesn't allow him that.

Again, I'll point this out for emphasis.
The way I see it, Luka was like a 7 in strength and a 5 in quickness last 2 seasons ago.
Now he is an 8 in strength and a 4 in quickness. That will be okay if he isn't playing point guard, but he is. A point guard doesn't have to be quick to be effective, but the thing with Luka at PG is we do not want him to be just "effective", he must always be lethal as he can.

That said, I hope he gets back to a 7 and 5. 
7 and 5 doesn't give you Morant-like jumping ability or De'Aaron-Fox-like speed, but a 7 and 5 for Luka just means his fittest playing weight so far, and a likely MVP candidate.

That was me.

But...as Mavsluvr described way better than me...I also used the Tony Romo situation to try and illustrate that Mavs/Luka might think Luka being heavier is a more effective Luka right now.

After Romo started gaining weight...Cowboys fanbase wanted Romo to lose weight to be able to run if need be(seems perfectly reasonable)...Cowboys wanted Romo to be a pocket passer and gain weight to absorb contact better to prevent injury(seems perfectly reasonable).

So...where are we at?

Heres what I think:  I think posters are looking for reasons to bitch.  I dont think Luka is anywhere near a sloth/dangerously out of shape.  I agree that Luka should look into a professional diet...but I dont care if that makes him lose weight or not.   I agree that a lighter Luka would maybe help his reactions and movement on defense...but is the give and take him being less effective in the paint on offense or securing less rebounds because he is getting bodied?  I dont know.  What I do know is...constantly complaining about Luka's weight is a waste of time.  Hes fine
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER - by dynamicalVoid - 12-07-2021, 09:25 AM