Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER
Reading all this and the article that mavsluvr posted, it ilooks like a huge coaching issue more than anything else.

I am not going to focus on other things that were also said on the leadership vacuum thread and will just stick to defense.  

Yes Luka is lazy on defense and does not give his all there. How many so called superstars do?  Even the rare ones among them who were lauded for their defense like a MJ, Kobe, LeBron were not Hakeem in the sense they pick and choose parts in the game where they go all out on defense. 

However Luka is also the same guy who played some really good defense in the LAC series. Probably better man to man defense than Dirk has ever done at any point in his career. So I am not going to say that he is automatically relegated to being a lost cause on defense. Needs to get in better shape, get back than complain to refs, and get his usage down on offense so that he can pick and choose his spots to go all out on defense too like other great ones did even if he cannot match their defensive abilities. He IMO can still be a pretty good defender based on last year’s playoffs. 

The real issue though is this. All teams that have transcendent stars do things to hide their defensive weaknesses and maximize their offense. That is on the coaching staff.  The last line in mavsluvr provided article summarizes my view too:
“Kidd had just about the ideal roster to make this experiment work. If it didn’t work in Milwaukee,  why would it work anywhere else?”
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • michaeltex
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER - by hakeemfaan - 12-06-2021, 08:57 PM