Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER
(12-06-2021, 04:33 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Kidd is trying to get his players to divert a lot of energy from something they do well to something they don't do well. Now, they are doing neither thing well. I can see how the demoralizing effect of expectations that they can't meet might, in turn, affect their morale/effort, resulting in a spiraling downturn on the court. Hope that isn't really the case.

ML, this is an amazing point, and gets right to the core.

It made me think of this video from Mark Eaton, having the same point, made by Wilt Chamberlain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uakwVc86vg

Many coaches, and many posters here as well, I believe make the mistake in trying to fix all the deficits on the team. Like Luka needs to improve FTs, we need to improve defense so we need a new scheme etc. etc etc. But what is maybe not considered in all of this, is that more time you pay attention to what you are not good at, you can and will get worse at what you are great at. I believe that we are seeing some, albeit initial, effects of this. And I am not sure Kidd is able to see that.

It is important to become better at your deficiencies, but at the same it, it's a lot more important to do what you are really great at, and focus on that.

Relating this to our defense, I see 4 players on this team with good to great one to one man defense ability: KP, Maxi, DFS and to that I add Luka that has developed a lot in that sense and has showed good and even great defensive play in one to one matchups.

So in my view, we need to let them play that, do what they are best at.

Luka doesnt need to shoot 85% FT to win many championships. He needs to attack that rim. The less he is doing that, the lesser out chances is to win it. He needs to do what he is great at. Its to attack that rim. Play man defense. Rebound. Assist.

When Kidd spots something in the plays that works well, he needs to incorporate that and keep doing it. One thing was Luka and KP pick and roll.

Stop doing what you are not good at. For instance posting up KP. Asking Luka and THJ to move around on defense in a complicated scheme that they dont know well. Its too much to ask for.

I totally agree. In the end you can lose what you are outstanding at and not even improve on your deficiencies. You can end up with nothing.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER - by burekemde - 12-06-2021, 05:10 PM