Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER
(12-06-2021, 12:12 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Luka in particular has been exposed as a huge team D liability in this new system (honestly worse than Dirk ever was). RC did a better job creating a defensive system where Luka was able to be more lazy. The increased responsibility on Luka this year defensively has backfired and it has tanked the team D when Luka plays. I think THJ is next on the list as a liability, he was much better within RC's scheme. To be clear: THJ and Luka can have fine one-on-one defensive moments, but within an aggressive defensive scheme that asks them to process and move a lot, they have frankly sucked ass.

I think KP has been the best so far this year of these four guys with his ability to engage with the more aggressive scheme. JB has been decent enough, though not good.  

I think the above is right on the money. 

I have never agreed with the complaints against THJ's defense until this season. He has been rooouuugh in this system, so far. No doubt about it. Luka is a guy who prefers to improvise on defense rather than adhere to his responsibilities. We can debate the validity of either approach, but it's clear that it's hurting more this season than in previous years. 

Plus, I think we're circling the idea that the aggressive defense might be causing some of the shooting slump, simply because shooting, believe it or not, requires energy. Getting technically sound jump shots off at the rate the Mavs need from guys like Luka, THJ and Brunson requires physicality that I don't know that many fans appreciate. This theory is supported, I think, by the fact that DFS is the first to show signs of righting the ship, percentage wise. Of all the incumbent shooters, he's the most accustomed to giving full effort on the defensive end of the ball in the past, right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER - by KillerLeft - 12-06-2021, 04:13 PM