Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER
(12-06-2021, 12:47 PM)michaeltex Wrote: The question is whether to continue with Kidd's vision (and maybe lose the season) while trying to trade for players that fit better or put the defensive improvement on hold and play the game this roster was built for.

In all seriousness...is Kidd's vision bigger than any single player, including Luka? Maybe it's too early to consider this option, but if he's not a fit for a defense-first team, do you make a blockbuster deal to bring in player(s) who will?
I think a lot might depend on whether the front office buys into the idea that increased defensive effort is really going to make enough difference this season that the Mavs can still compete against the good teams as a defense-first squad.

Iztok clearly thinks that it won't. He makes the observation that the Mavs in fact ARE trying harder on defense, and even succeeding to a degree. But in athletics, people's bodies impose a natural ceiling, and you reach a point where more effort has diminishing returns, or even negative returns. The proposition was offered elsewhere, for example, that, no matter how hard Luka tries, he just doesn't have the speed to make those hard, fast closeouts to the corner against the league's better teams, and that expecting him to be an aggressive help defender in those circumstances is simply a poor coaching decision.

I have to say I lean to that point of view, even though I understand Kidd's statement that without a competent defense, they don't have much of a Plan B when the threes aren't falling. However, I also lack confidence that the front office could rebuild this team to be a defensive juggernaut at the trade deadline, even if they were good at front-office stuff. I fear that, with a limited number of alternatives mid-season, they might just make more moves resulting in a slightly better defense and a significantly worse offense. 

Maybe they can make some progress in the offseason, when more players are available. I guess they can still try to prioritize defense this season with an ill-suited roster, on the theory that they want to get the players prepared as much as possible for continuing that approach next season. But they might risk a spot in the playoffs. If they go back to using offense as the engine, Luka and KP (if reasonably healthy) probably result in the playoffs being a floor. But if they prioritize an aggressive defensive system with a bunch of players who can't execute it well, no matter how hard they try, that may not be the case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER - by mavsluvr - 12-06-2021, 01:55 PM