Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER
(12-06-2021, 11:50 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Kidd is trying to implement a much more aggressive defensive system

I think this IS the way forward. I think the best defensive teams in the current NBA are all more aggressive and scramble and rotate often and intensely.

(12-06-2021, 11:50 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: This system requires more decision-making, all five players being in sync, fast rotations, and aggressive close-outs.

Yes. And I get 100% why RC did not try such a system. I think he knew with his personnel that it was destined to fail.

(12-06-2021, 11:50 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: None of Luka, KP, Timmy, or Jalen has all of those things.

YES. This is the issue. 

Luka in particular has been exposed as a huge team D liability in this new system (honestly worse than Dirk ever was). RC did a better job creating a defensive system where Luka was able to be more lazy. The increased responsibility on Luka this year defensively has backfired and it has tanked the team D when Luka plays. I think THJ is next on the list as a liability, he was much better within RC's scheme. To be clear: THJ and Luka can have fine one-on-one defensive moments, but within an aggressive defensive scheme that asks them to process and move a lot, they have frankly sucked ass.

I think KP has been the best so far this year of these four guys with his ability to engage with the more aggressive scheme. JB has been decent enough, though not good.  

Overall, I think the Mavs needed to adjust the D scheme....BUT as Kidd said "this team wasn't built for defense" because two if not all three of its highest paid players are liabilities. So in a sense I think RC was right AND I think Kidd is right....but the roster needs some significant changes if anything is going to change on the defensive end. I honestly fear that Luka (if his weight and conditioning don't improve) will have to be surrounded by FOUR above average defenders for this team to keep its head above water on that end.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Paul Gasol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: IZTOK ON KIDD'S DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND THE ROSTER - by Kammrath - 12-06-2021, 12:12 PM