Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
(08-08-2021, 12:50 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Here is something to ponder.  At the beginning of the last season, who were those 2-5 teams?  I would submit both LA teams and Philly and Brooklyn.  Milwaukee didn’t have Holiday yet and flamed out famously in the playoffs the season before.  Phoenix was a nice story, but no one imagined them getting past the big boys.

The year we won the championship, were we in the mythical top 2-5?  I would submit not.  But then LA imploded and OKC and Miami weren’t ready yet.  Sometimes you have the obvious winner and you don’t (win).  Sometimes the eventual winner catches some breaks and the unexpected happens.  

Not offended, and I wasn't sure that you were aiming at me, so no worries about that. I just like to be direct (I'm not very smart, so it's really helpful for me to do things that way). 

As to the above, I probably would've included Milwaukee in the top tier (though I admit, near the bottom) at the beginning of last season, but to your point, not PHX. Further, these past two seasons have been about as abnormal as they come, wouldn't you agree? Maybe we're in store for another one in which vaccination is resisted and Covid dramatically alters the day-to-day process of the league, I'm not sure. 

I also agree with your point when using the 2011 Mavs, but the key word (YOUR word) is "sometimes." 

And, I don't disagree with your implication that the Mavs are "closer" than most people around here might believe. 

I'm just saying: This Luka Doncic era sure feels to me like an opportunity for the Mavs to finally claim a seat at that "big boys" table. For just one 3-4 year period of my Mavs fandom, I'd love for them to be the team everyone just knows you have to beat to get to the Finals. If they can't do it during Luka's career, then they probably never well, and for me, that's pretty sad. 

That's not to say I won't root for another 2011-style story or enjoy the hell out of it if/when it ever happens again.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season? - by KillerLeft - 08-08-2021, 01:03 PM