Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
Mavs issues go deeper than just a few. We are deluding ourselves just limiting our analysis to possibly speculating what could have have happened in this series or that if one or two pieces were different. That too good but not great pieces like Crowder or Batum

The problem with that type of mindset is that a new season will present newer challenges. Some anticipated. Some not. As a team GM the mindset has to be to shore up glaring weaknesses.  The fact that the coach had to throw in Boban and Burke in key situations show that there was no stable strength the coach could rely on. 

The Mavs had three glaring weaknesses last year:
a) Their starting level talent is not good other than Luka. So every series no matter how close the final results might be, that is something Luka has to overcome that stars on other better teams are not burdened with.  The Mavs did nothing to improve that this off-season. 

b) They need a legit running mate for Luka. To ease his workload and also to ensure that he is not spent by the time the 4th qtr arrives. Maybe if we get Dragic that might help. Might. But so far we don’t even have that. 

c) The team has weaknesses in the paint with strength and rebounding.  They have some projects but again no one I can see and say that this person can help. Even a veteran like Dwight is better than anyone the Mavs roll out. 

This is not to trash the acquisitions. I think the Mavs are on the right track. This is not to blame the FO. The previous regime really didn’t do many favors with the lack of talent and picks.   However I don’t see us as being very close to a legit contender unless some of the glaring flaws I have talked about are addressed.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • Bayliss, KillerLeft
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season? - by hakeemfaan - 08-07-2021, 09:05 PM