Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
(08-07-2021, 06:45 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Where I depart from a lot of people is that I think we were closer than most here perceive.  “Closer” is a nebulous term.  People often retort that I’m nuts if I think we are a “Contender”…another nebulous term (I really like when people add “True” in front of “Contender” like that makes it more clear).  As I’ve said, if we had the marginal improvement of us having Batum or Crowder instead of them playing for LAC/Phoenix, I think we might have won two series last season (especially if we hadn’t had all the internal in-fighting).  I see Bullock instead of JRich as just such a move.  I really like us to win game six against the Clipps (with Kawhi) with that exchange.  Sterling has a chance to be helpful also.  Both are really good moves.

It does feel like we need one more piece (how good would it be if we had De’Andre Hunter or Patrick Williams to push someone to the bench and provide a slightly bigger frame at the 4/3 than what DFS provides).  Heck, imagine if we had done Crowder or Batum last summer to go with Bullock/Sterling this summer (never mind, that’s completely another topic).  But, more than anything, we need good KP back.  There isn’t any secondary playmaker who is going to make more of a difference than Good-KP makes.  And, there isn’t any secondary playmaker who can make up for Bad-KP.

100% with you.

The Mavs had three big issues last year:

1) Lockerroom chemistry/dynamics

2) JRich's poor fit and performance

3) KP's poor fit and performance

The top 2 issues have been addressed by 1) a coaching change and 2) upgrading JR's spot, though the success of those is still "to be determined." The third one is the giant elephant in the room. 

Could a coaching change (with a scheme change and a different voice communicating to his fragile psyche) be enough to change KP's poor fit and performance? 

Could a healthy offseason be enough to change KP's poor fit and performance?

The front office is banking on those it seems (though I will NOT be shocked by a KP trade before training camp). And if one or both of those DOES change the performance and fit of KP, then I think the Mavs are instantly "contenders" (assuming Bullock is as big of an upgrade as I think on JR). Not just "second round" contenders, but legit threats to make the NBA Finals IMO. Luka is too damn good at elevating the folks around him for them not to be a "good KP" away from contention. Even last year with a "bad KP" and horrible lockerroom tension, the Mavs were a top 3 team when JR didn't play. 

They are close. Way closer than most fans are seeing IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season? - by Kammrath - 08-07-2021, 07:59 PM