Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
(08-07-2021, 02:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My GM approach:

Acquire Talented Tradeable Assets (Plan ATTA)

[Image: VelvetyAgileBlackrhino-max-1mb.gif]

This means:

1) Never sign a contract that you know will not be immediately tradeable in either a neutral or positive way. 

2) Never do a trade where you know your net assets come out negative. Aim for positive asset building trades, but at least do neutral asset building trades. 

The ones that got away:

1) Richaun Holmes (4 yrs/$55M) -- my number one disappointment, would have paid up to 4 yrs/$70M

2) Evan Fournier (4 yrs/$78M) -- would have preferred him to THJ as he can do more playmaking and is a year younger, would have paid 4 yrs/$90M

3) Alex Caruso (4 yrs/$37M) -- would have paid up to 4 yrs/$50M

Guys who seemed locked into their destination (so I won't fault the Mavs), but I would have paid them more:

1) John Collins (5 yrs/$125M) -- not sure he was leaving as he took a discount (starts at $21.5M, could have been $28M), would have paid 4 yrs/$115M

2) Lonzo Ball (4 yrs/$85M) -- seems his heart was set on CHI, would have paid 4 yrs/$90M

I am only disappointed in the Mavs not getting Holmes, Fournier, and Caruso. Those are the only guys I would have graded the Mavs higher for getting.

Overall the Mavs did the most important things so far this offseason:

1) Get rid of the weak link (JR): done.

2) Sign Tradeable Contracts (THJ, WCS, RB & SB) that fit and will help the team win: done.

3) Take on no negative assets: done. 

Grade: B
Fair take right here ^

Begs the question, why couldn’t we sign and trade for Fournier sending J Rich to Boston when we sent him there for the TPE anyways? 

Could have kept THJ while also adding Fournier and keep the MLE for Caruso

No complaints if we end up with THJ/Bullock/Markkanen instead, but we’ll see what ends up happening
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season? - by Jason Terry - 08-07-2021, 02:54 PM