Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
(08-07-2021, 02:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My GM approach:

Acquire Talented Tradeable Assets (Plan ATTA)

[Image: VelvetyAgileBlackrhino-max-1mb.gif]

This means:

1) Never sign a contract that you know will not be immediately tradeable in either a neutral or positive way. 

2) Never do a trade where you know your net assets come out negative. Aim for positive asset building trades, but at least do neutral asset building trades. 

The ones that got away:

1) Richaun Holmes (4 yrs/$55M) -- my number one disappointment, would have paid up to 4 yrs/$70M

2) Evan Fournier (4 yrs/$78M) -- would have preferred him to THJ as he can do more playmaking and is a year younger, would have paid 4 yrs/$90M

3) Alex Caruso (4 yrs/$37M) -- would have paid up to 4 yrs/$50M

Guys who seemed locked into their destination (so I won't fault the Mavs), but I would have paid them more:

1) John Collins (5 yrs/$125M) -- not sure he was leaving as he took a discount (starts at $21.5M, could have been $28M), would have paid 4 yrs/$115M

2) Lonzo Ball (4 yrs/$85M) -- seems his heart was set on CHI, would have paid 4 yrs/$90M

I am only disappointed in the Mavs not getting Holmes, Fournier, and Caruso. Those are the only guys I would have graded the Mavs higher for getting.

Overall the Mavs did the most important things so far this offseason:

1) Get rid of the weak link (JR): done.

2) Sign Tradeable Contracts (THJ, WCS, RB & SB) that fit and will help the team win: done.

3) Take on no negative assets: done. 

Grade: B

Solid take.  On board with Holmes and Caruso. I’m not a fan of Fournier, but that’s just me.

(08-07-2021, 02:03 PM)omahen Wrote: I can't take that as excuse. They knew exactly what they are getting into and they took the job. They were not hired to draw excuses, but to make it happen. 

I think Mavs make problems by themselves. Cuban spends two month speaking how Mavs need to add a second man to Luka and then they deliver Bullock. If he would approach offseason realistically, fans wouldn't be dissapointed.

So am I understanding this correctly - you aren’t actually disappointed by the performance of the MBT, you’re upset about what Cuban said…?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season? - by soog - 08-07-2021, 02:12 PM