Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
(08-07-2021, 08:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: For me, the only thing I might consider is turning THJ into more value contracts (Bullock would be one).  I would have loved Batum.  Maybe Theis or Holmes (given we know what they got in perfect hindsight).  Patty Mills?   I guess if I were king for a day and could make people come here and could know dollar amounts in advance, I might have done Holmes/Theis plus Batum plus Bullock and would not have kept WCS.  But, there is a reason the Hardaway’s and Trent’s and Powell’s and Fournier’s of the world all got $18mm.  I’m afraid my value contract approach would have missed Hardaway’s ability to hit 3’s at a high volume.
See, you ended your brow beating of those of us that don’t see a big difference between this current team and last years team on paper (on paper Bullock plays 50 games next season with a possible hold your breath that he makes it to the postseason) with this paragraph that was what some people were asking for before this stage of FA started.

To Soog, what you are asking for is for us to rehash what was talked about for months before we got to this point. If you didn’t read that discussion, I can’t help you other than to tell you to go back and read what has already been said. Makes no sense to go through it again to me at least (sorry, I just have little energy to do that research and work to copy and paste for you, I hope this is not coming off as harsh cause I’m not intending it to be).

I myself have always kept a more wait and see approach to the offseason, cause in my NBA watching experience I’ve seen people take small and huge steps forward (as well as the opposite) year after year. So while I don’t think to this point we are a much different team, there is a TON of room for internal improvements from the Luka all the way down to Tyrell Terry. Some of our guys might also regress which will be unfortunate, I just really hope that doesn’t come from a role of high importance. 

We can start getting much more comfortable with THJ’s offense since he showed the first full year of great shooting wasn’t a fluke. That doesn’t mean it’s a guarantee he will continue doing that. Same with DFS offense, I THINK he will come back improved next year and really hope he either adds more dynamics to his offense or keep his efficiency at higher attempts from 3. That’s because he has shown improvement year over year and he’s still young enough to not have to transition his play style yet. I can go on for every player on the team but I won’t because that would make this even more an unreadable wall of text.

Of course I know those same things come with most of the players that have been talked about, that is why some of the others want the more predictable play from the star types, not a horrible approach, I just think we have to walk before we run (solidify the starters with well fitting, appropriate quality players) with smaller upgrades so we can continue to improve in the playoffs year-to-year and become the team that has attractive assets to get the bigger swing targets through FA or trade.

As tiring as it is for you guys to read yet another negative post, it’s equally frustrating to read how great these mediocre moves (that MIGHT turn out good to great) are. I myself am getting beat down from both sides trying to stay in the middle bere!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season? - by ItsGoTime - 08-07-2021, 12:53 PM