Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season?
I have no issues with the Richardson trade, Bullock signing, or Sterling Brown signing. My main grievances, in no particular order, are:

1) They punted on the draft. Declining to take a flyer on a player with some upside in order to keep roster spots open for last year's busts makes no sense to me. The draft is a crapshoot and you need to keep trying.

2) Did not address the secondary playmaker issue. The offense is going to struggle again this year when Luka sits, and there will be no one who can reliably take advantage of Luka being doubled late in the game.

3) Did not add a rim runner to play with Luka in the pick and roll. I'm less concerned about this one if Kidd intends to use Porzingis this way, but I won't hold my breath. Ideally this player would also add some rim protection/rebounding.

What I would have done instead:

1) Make a move for a high upside player who fell to late in the 1st or 2nd round. Guys like Jaden Springer at 28 and Jericho Sims at 58 would have been more interesting than anyone who was drafted last year.

2) Instead of re-signing THJ, go after Devonte Graham. He's a better defender, can still shoot the ball, and can actually function as a point guard. No, he's not the star secondary playmaker we were hoping for. But I think he could have elevated his game playing off of Luka. Even Jason Terry shot poorly from the field before landing in the right situation. It should not be difficult to beat the 47/4 deal he got from New Orleans. There are even ways to make this a sign and trade if needed.

3) Sign Richaun Holmes. Ideally KP would have been traded and Holmes would be the starting center. Even though that didn't happen, I still think Holmes brings so much of what the Mavs need that they should have pulled the trigger anyway. He could start at the 4 in certain matchups and come off the bench in others. I think he would be extremely useful late in games when teams tend to go smaller. Dallas could easily beat the 55/4 he got from Sacramento.

4) Trade Brunson + Powell for Rubio. This gives Dallas a pure point guard to run the offense when Luka sits, and moves Powell's 2022 salary so that it's easier to extend DFS, spend next year's MLE, or make another trade that adds salary without worrying about the luxury tax implications.

Then I would see the depth chart looking something like this with DFS taking minutes at the 4 and Holmes minutes at the 5. Bullock/DFS are your starting forwards when Holmes comes off the bench.

Luka / Rubio
Graham / S. Brown
DFS / Bullock
Holmes / Kleber
Porzingis
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: What would you have done as GM that would have gotten you an A+ this off-season? - by loki - 08-07-2021, 09:26 AM