Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
One takeaway from the first two games is that maybe the Mavs can actually get away with DFS and Kleber in the starting lineup. They both had 3 assists last night and weren't shy about putting the ball on the floor to make a play when needed. In other words, they are no longer playing like they've never seen a blue triangle.

My thinking had been that using one as the 5th starter was fine, but the other needed to come off the bench. Hopefully they can keep it up all series.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:05 PM)loki Wrote: Mavs can actually get away with DFS and Kleber in the starting lineup

my opinion is that they are progressing towards being better starters for this team than all of the players that we're always trying to trade them for

Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:08 PM)fifteenth Wrote: my opinion is that they are progressing towards being better starters for this team than all of the players that we're always trying to trade them for

Big Grin

Amen...even Maxi..  Angel
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Everybody is saying THJ is getting paid, so I ask by whom?

The most likely candidates seem to be the Cavs, Pistons, Hornets and Grizzlies, who all have younger starting SGs in Okoro, Bey, Rozier and Brooks.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:17 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Everybody is saying THJ is getting paid, so I ask by whom?

The most likely candidates seem to be the Cavs, Pistons, Hornets and Grizzlies, who all have younger starting SGs in Okoro, Bey, Rozier and Brooks.

A playoff contender would make moves to get a shooter of his caliber as a final piece...
Like Reply
How is it that all of our assets are crap, but everyone is about to get PAID?
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: How is it that all of our assets are crap, but everyone is about to get PAID?

If a team has a 2-game winning streak, every player gets a max deal the next time they're up for a contract. Didn't anyone tell you??
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: How is it that all of our assets are crap, but everyone is about to get PAID?

Mavs Board logic...
Like Reply

hahaha, good point.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:52 PM)F Gump Wrote: If a team has a 2-game winning streak, every player gets a max deal the next time they're up for a contract. Didn't anyone tell you??

Yeah I have noticed that this place has went from everyone not named Luka must go to We Love Our Boys in Blue...
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 07:00 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Yeah I have noticed that this place has went from everyone not named Luka must go to We Love Our Boys in Blue...

But some of us have two thumbs and have remained pretty damn consistent about who we believe should stay or go. 

[Image: 200.gif]
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 07:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: But some of us have two thumbs and have remained pretty damn consistent about who we believe should stay or go. 

[Image: 200.gif]

I'm just glad they didn't go at the TDL...we would be toast right now..  Big Grin
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 06:52 PM)F Gump Wrote: If a team has a 2-game winning streak, every player gets a max deal the next time they're up for a contract. Didn't anyone tell you??

Because the commentator on NBA TV screamed THJ is getting paid every 60 seconds. I still don´t see the problem. We can pay him whatever he want. If he leaves, then playing well only gives us more options to facilitate a S&T.

No matter what people say there won´t be a lot of straight forward options, so most likely it will have to be a trade.

Contenders that view him as a  finishing piece. So let´s see...

Hawks: Maxed out with Collins caphold. We can ask for Collins or Reddish/Huerter.
Celtics: Maxed out. No chance to generate any space.
Nets: Maxed out. No chance to generate any space.
Bulls: 25-27M, if they waive Young/Satoransky to sign THJ for the position of their best player.
Nuggets: Maxed out. Maybe if Green/Barton both opted out of their deals, they could offer him 14-15M.
Warriors: Maxed out. Have Thompson and emerging Poole.
Pacers: Maxed out. Have Levert/Lamb in that position. We can ask for Levert or Turner.
Clippers: Maxed out. Playoff P&P: PG and Porzingis. LOL.
Lakers: Maxed out. Can ask for THT/KCP and/or Schroeder.
Grizzlies: 20M in capspace. Have Brooks, Bane, Melton and Allen in that position. We could ask for some Winslow package.
Heat: 30M in capspace. Yeah I guess they could pay THJ 20M and somebody else 10M, tjough I´d guess they´d prefer a bigger solution.
Bucks: Maxed out.
Knicks: Guess that´s a legit option, if you ignore his past there.
Sixers: Maxed out. I mean sure, give us Hill´s partially guaranteed deal, plus Thybulle/Maxey and you are in business.
Blazers: You want to talk McCollum/Nurkic for Porzingis/Timmah, we are listening.
Jazz: Maxed out.
Wizards: Maxed out. Got Beal.

I just don´t see this easy fit with teams, so desperate to pay THJ 20M/year. They have to build their whole off-season strategy around him as a priority, when it requires some complex moves. If anything his play only enhanced the Mavs FA options.

Maybe I´m completely off, but maybe THJ/Kleber for Collins/Reddish is an option.
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 07:17 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I'm just glad they didn't go at the TDL...we would be toast right now..  Big Grin

Oh, I don't know...
Like Reply
They never were crap. Luka/Brunson draft got us two great assets. And DFS and Maxi should be remembered as organizational prospects who we essentially drafted and developed over the past few years. 

Those 4 guys are among the most valuable contracts in the entire league. We have the assets. The real argument was before when we owed the picks. In a few months we will own all but one of our FRP’s. 

Not to mention we have a max contract that could make sense to use in trade. Plus 3 rookies in development. Plus i consider the full MLE and BAE as assets. The cupboard is full
Like Reply
Wow Randle and the Knicks having a meltdown. They might finally play up to their offensive talent level. Also not the best moment for Thibs given McMillan´s reputation as a regular season/1st round exit coach. They have no answer to the Hawks defense.
Like Reply
THJ is getting paid...by the Mavs. Plain and simple.

Definitely would like to just run this thing back. Rick finally figured out everybody's role. I wish J Rich would just opt-in, there is still a chance that Mavs are able to hang onto him. I would be like, look take your money and we will have a role for you. If there's a trade opportunity where you can start we will pull the trigger on it (to do Duffy a solid). Mavs can use MLE/BAE to add depth just need to stay under that luxury tax line.

We have been looking at the wrong number. The number isn't the salary cap $112, the number is the luxury tax line, $136.6. That's the number you want to stay under unless you have 3 superstars on your team which the Mavs don't.

I would start penciling in 20 mil for THJ, and try to talk J Rich into opt-in and extend. That would put the Mavs at $111 I think not including cap holds. With WCS opt in, you have 3 open spots and MLE + BAE at your disposal. Those 2 together are $15 mil + < $2 mil-ish for a vet min contract. By my rough mavs that puts you around $128 which is comfortably under the luxury tax line. Mavs will not be able to really spend long-term money with Brunson, Luka and DFS all getting big raises in 1 year. Thats why a J Rich move would be inevitable at some point. Powell too would have to get shed to stay under that luxury tax line. But for 2021 Mavs could add quality depth and still hang underneath that luxury tax line.
Like Reply
KP of course is a big question mark in terms of his future with the Mavs. If he is sort of a glorified role player (even a good one) you might want to cash him in for cheaper players that won't have you in cap hell.
Like Reply
So after we beat the clippers........they gotta make a move 

PG for KP makes sense

Kawhi SnT for KP makes sense as well
Like Reply
(05-26-2021, 08:24 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: So after we beat the clippers........they gotta make a move 

PG for KP makes sense

Kawhi SnT for KP makes sense as well

Hard pass on Playoff P...I want to win playoff games...
Like Reply