Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(05-22-2021, 09:52 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don't see Turner as being much different than Holmes.  In fact, this last season he wasn't as good as Holmes (but I'm willing to cut some slack based on the disaster that team was this season).  But, with Holmes we still get to keep Maxi and Green or whatever else it costs to get Turner.

Don´t think they are on a similar level. Holmes is a better rim runner and that makes him a better fit on offense but Turner is probably the 2nd best defensive center behind Gobert (between him and Adebayo). Leads the league in blocks and protects the rim. Quick enough to defend the pick and roll. Can switch onto most wings. No disrespect to Chandler or Harper but this seasons version of Turner would be the best defender in franchise history.
Agree that it is more difficult from a contract/asset management point of view. Turner is three years younger but also more injury-prone. It would probably require a big offer (multiple firsts or similar value) to get him. Holmes is a free agent. I don´t think Turner is an option as long as KP is on the roster. He would be a great KP replacement but next to KP a cheaper and better fitting piece is the better option.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...14498?s=21
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 02:35 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...14498?s=21
Ok, I haven’t been in on getting him, but him wanting to be here makes me pause a bit. Seems he would be a lot less expensive option with a high possibility of overproducing the contract. He and Luka would HAVE to be the defensive liabilities, so if there is no chance KP can become the defender we need, we need to trade him for that guy. Salary-wise Turner/Markannen front court could be really good. Turner would need to turn into more of a rim runner than he’s shown though.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 02:35 PM)JamesConway Wrote: https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/statu...14498?s=21

So the last PF begging to sign with the Mavs was Julius Randle. Now we have to figure out, who are VAJ and Delon Wright in this case:

I vote for 27/3 for Bradley and 24/1 for Drummond. Big Grin
Like Reply

Mavs are finally the FA destination du jour for European white guys! Well I guess we've cornered the market on that. I wasn't interested in Markkanen and don't really see the fit but its nice to be wanted.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 02:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs are finally the FA destination du jour for European white guys! Well I guess we've cornered the market on that. I wasn't interested in Markkanen and don't really see the fit but its nice to be wanted.

All your Dirk clones belong to us.
Like Reply
So with Lauri on offense you would try to use him like Maxi+ since he can shoot outside plus do other things. On defense it would be tough since he is not going to be able to guard the perimeter like Maxi. He's sort of redundant with KP in a good way in the sense that you have your KP fill-in right there when he sits. Lauri could play alongside other bigs like Maxi and WCS. Really the center he fits with the worst is KP but you could just try it for the sake of trying to add talent if he wants to come here.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 02:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs are finally the FA destination du jour for European white guys! Well I guess we've cornered the market on that. I wasn't interested in Markkanen and don't really see the fit but its nice to be wanted.

You know the funny or sad part is that I believe the Mavs actually do have some destination pull. These ass-clowns just don´t use it. Dallas natives like Julius Randle or Myles Turner have strong local ties or as you say the Europeans grew up idolizing the man Dirk Nowitzki.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 02:55 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: So with Lauri on offense you would try to use him like Maxi+ since he can shoot outside plus do other things. On defense it would be tough since he is not going to be able to guard the perimeter like Maxi. He's sort of redundant with KP in a good way in the sense that you have your KP fill-in right there when he sits. Lauri could play alongside other bigs like Maxi and WCS. Really the center he fits with the worst is KP but you could just try it for the sake of trying to add talent if he wants to come here.

Donnie made a comment about players (especially SG’s, SF’s and outside shooting PF’s) wanting to come here right after the TDL.  The moment I heard that, my mind immediately went to LM.  We are pretty good traditionally at reclamation projects.  High upside if this were to work.

I don’t think he’s a starter here...as you and others point out.  But, for the MLE and as a backup?  Sure.  Start KP and Maxi with Powell and LM off the bench and WCS as the 5th big.  We will always need a 5th big as long as KP is here.  Having someone like LM would mean we wouldn’t have to give away games any night KP needs a rest.  We have traditionally been good at reclamation projects.  The upside to LM on the cheap would be pretty good.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 03:57 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Donnie made a comment about players (especially SG’s, SF’s and outside shooting PF’s) wanting to come here right after the TDL.  The moment I heard that, my mind immediately went to LM.  We are pretty good traditionally at reclamation projects.  High upside if this were to work.

I don’t think he’s a starter here...as you and others point out.  But, for the MLE and as a backup?  Sure.  Start KP and Maxi with Powell and LM off the bench and WCS as the 5th big.  We will always need a 5th big as long as KP is here.  Having someone like LM would mean we wouldn’t have to give away games any night KP needs a rest.  We have traditionally been good at reclamation projects.  The upside to LM on the cheap would be pretty good.

Lauri only makes sense if we are trading KP. He is clearly not looking for a bench role and I doubt he will be below 15 mil. If I am Chicago, I am matching anything below that number, as I can always trade him with salary that low.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 03:57 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Donnie made a comment about players (especially SG’s, SF’s and outside shooting PF’s) wanting to come here right after the TDL.  The moment I heard that, my mind immediately went to LM.  We are pretty good traditionally at reclamation projects.  High upside if this were to work.

I would love Lauri here. I actually think he'd be a starter here too given how lethal his 3pt shooting is. Perhaps his defense makes that impossible. 

Even still a big man rotation of KP/Maxi/Lauri/Powell is varied and talented. Plus it makes KP somewhat expendable. 

Lauri's downsides are that he's injury prone himself and no defense. Plus how expensive is he going to cost? He's in the same boat as John Collins being restricted and if the Mavs lowball CHI can just match.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Lauri will be a really nice addition once the Mavs knock the Clippers out of the playoffs and Kawhi forces his way to Dallas in the future KL/KP trade.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 06:56 PM)Tyler Wrote: Lauri will be a really nice addition once the Mavs knock the Clippers out of the playoffs and Kawhi forces his way to Dallas in the future KL/KP trade.
A man can dream
Like Reply
(05-21-2021, 10:33 PM)Branduil Wrote: Warriors are gonna be hungry for a good stretch-5 after this. Pacers need to blow it up.

https://tradenba.com/trades/LHvM8KtqT

Do the Collins deal first and re-sign THJ

Luka / Brunson
Brogdon / THJ
DFS / Green
Collins / DFS
Turner / Powell / WCS

Shooot...I'd take EITHER Brodgon or Turner in return for KP.  Not even convinced the other side(s) would agree to that.  Both seems like a pipedream.
Like Reply
KP on the Warriors would be a god.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 06:26 PM)omahen Wrote: Lauri only makes sense if we are trading KP. He is clearly not looking for a bench role and I doubt he will be below 15 mil. If I am Chicago, I am matching anything below that number, as I can always trade him with salary that low.

I don't think he's in their plans whatsoever.  Remember that whole...they need a PG thing and that...they need room to extend LaVine thing.
Like Reply
Today is Lauri Markkanen’s birthday.

I still don’t want him on the Mavs, unless it’s for some really nice value contract of like $7 million/year. Great shooter, but poor defender, poor rebounder, and constant injuries.
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 06:26 PM)omahen Wrote: Lauri only makes sense if we are trading KP. He is clearly not looking for a bench role and I doubt he will be below 15 mil. If I am Chicago, I am matching anything below that number, as I can always trade him with salary that low.

Ya I think his salary will not be a reclamation-level salary.
Like Reply
Markkanen to Dallas confirmed! If I knew how to share gifs in here just know that I’d be posting the Ron Paul “it’s happening” right now!

https://giphy.com/gifs/paul-comment-ron-5mBE2MiMVFITS
Like Reply
(05-22-2021, 11:11 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: Markkanen to Dallas confirmed! If I knew how to share gifs in here just know that I would be posting the Ron Paul “it’s happening” right now!

Go to Giphy...click copy link and copy lower box of the two...paste in your reply...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply