Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(04-21-2021, 09:53 AM)mvossman Wrote: There is no reason for the Hawks not to match a max offer and then trade him.

I wouldn't agree. Max for Collins is a clear overpay, imho. Offers for him on max contract will not be stellar. He is good but not elite. Overpay on contract will reduce value of assets coming their way. Plus Mavs offer sheet can make their life even more difficult trading him with some special provisions like trade kicker etc.
Like Reply
I don't think teams will be willing to pay max to Collins AND flood Atlanta with assets. Of course Atlanta has all the power to match any offer sheet he gets. But then they are paying max money to a player who is probably not max worthy. Since they are playing well and if they have a decent playoff experience, I would assume they will resign Collins. But if their performance leaves a lot of doubts, they might feel uneasy to max him. I think either Atlanta resigns him or he is traded for Brogdon type of deal (a couple of draft assets).
Like Reply
McCollum and Nurkic for KP and opted in Richardson 

Seems like a fair deal for both teams. Move Luka to the 3 and bring in a PG to start with both McCollum and Luka
Like Reply
I would just do KP for McCollum straight up.    McCollum's scoring allows you to not overpay for THJ.    Dallas gets Holmes (or even Drummond depending on his market) in free agency and addresses C much more cheaply, with money left over to make a big big offer on a restricted free agent.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 10:44 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I would just do KP for McCollum straight up.    McCollum's scoring allows you to not overpay for THJ.    Dallas gets Holmes (or even Drummond depending on his market) in free agency and addresses C much more cheaply, with money left over to make a big big offer on a restricted free agent.

Is there any RFA or better a FA that makes sense then?

I´d go after Lowry, Connley, CP3 or Gay before pairing McCollum with Luka and downgrade our big man and then missing on RFAs.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 11:05 AM)Mapka Wrote: Is there any RFA or better a FA that makes sense then?

Duncan Robinson? 

It really depends on what the baseline most likely scenerio for the offseason is.   Is it resigning THJ and Josh Richardson and running it back?    I think the jump from THJ to McCollum is pretty significant, and I think good centers can probably had fairly cheaply in this market if the trade deadline market for Drummond and Aldridge was any indication.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 11:15 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Duncan Robinson? 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 11:15 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Duncan Robinson? 

It really depends on what the baseline most likely scenerio for the offseason is.   Is it resigning THJ and Josh Richardson and running it back?    I think the jump from THJ to McCollum is pretty significant, and I think good centers can probably had fairly cheaply in this market if the trade deadline market for Drummond and Aldridge was any indication.

McCollum and Duncan? Wouldn´t we not be better off with KP then?

Aldridge has already retired and Drummonds contract was to huge to trade him. The buyout market is also killing every expiring non-star contract value.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 11:48 AM)Mapka Wrote: McCollum and Duncan? Wouldn´t we not be better off with KP then?

IT would be essentially trading out KP + THJ + JRich for McCollum + Drummond + Duncan Robinson among our Top 7 rotation players. 

Just saying ... if we're trading KP, I'm much more interested in trading for McCollum than I am a bunch of long term project players and non Top 3 draft picks like the Golden State Wiseman + picks package or the role player pu pu platter trade that is often thrown around.    Especially as an alternative to overpaying for 33-35 year olds like Lowry, Conely and Lowrey to 3+ year contracts.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 10:34 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: Move Luka to the 3 and bring in a PG to start with both McCollum and Luka
What does this mean? Sincere question.

Is this taking the ball away from the most dynamic player on the team? Does that make a better unit?
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:10 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: IT would be essentially trading out KP + THJ + JRich for McCollum + Drummond + Duncan Robinson among our Top 7 rotation players. 

Just saying ... if we're trading KP, I'm much more interested in trading for McCollum than I am a bunch of long term project players and non Top 3 draft picks like the Golden State Wiseman + picks package or the role player pu pu platter trade that is often thrown around.

I like KP + Duncan + ?? better than McCollum + Duncan + Drummond. But I like the Wiseman + picks package much much less.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:18 PM)michaeltex Wrote: What does this mean? Sincere question.

Is this taking the ball away from the most dynamic player on the team? Does that make a better unit?

Is Lebron a small forward or a point guard?  Are the Lakers taking the ball away from him when they trade for Schroeder?
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:33 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Is Lebron a small forward or a point guard?  Are the Lakers taking the ball away from him when they trade for Schroeder?

Or when he plays wins Championships with Kyrie, or Prime Wade or Playoff Rondo. 

I hope we really move past the point where the Mavs run this rudimentary offense of Luka dribbling the air out of the ball for 20 seconds while everyone stands around.    Not only will it be easily defended against high level teams and defenses,  especially in playoffs when teams have time to prepare and implement game plans, but we need to do a better job of getting Luka easier looks playing off ball some.   This isn't sustainable over the long term.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:18 PM)michaeltex Wrote: What does this mean? Sincere question.

Maybe someone else has a better explanation. In my mind it would mean Luka would be more of a traditional point forward like Lebron where the distribution duties are shared among multiple players. Luka is one of the best players in the league in post ups and paint scoring. He could create more mismatches off ball and have more energy for driving and defense. 

Defensively, Luka-CJ would be a terrible backcourt. Someone would need to guard the ball. It’s not like Luka is currently guarding PG’s. So defensively Luka is already not a PG
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 10:34 AM)Jason Terry Wrote: McCollum and Nurkic for KP and opted in Richardson 

Seems like a fair deal for both teams. Move Luka to the 3 and bring in a PG to start with both McCollum and Luka

I have a hard time picturing Mavs/Blazers doing a big deal like that and both walking away feeling like they won the trade. Just seems unlikely they would be trade partners in a blockbuster deal like this.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:41 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Maybe someone else has a better explanation. In my mind it would mean Luka would be more of a traditional point forward like Lebron where the distribution duties are shared among multiple players. Luka is one of the best players in the league in post ups and paint scoring. He could create more mismatches off ball and have more energy for driving and defense. 

Defensively, Luka-CJ would be a terrible backcourt. Someone would need to guard the ball. It’s not like Luka is currently guarding PG’s. So defensively Luka is already not a PG

Agree.  Ball would make way more sense than CJ, and you wouldn't have to trade KP for him.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:10 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: IT would be essentially trading out KP + THJ + JRich for McCollum + Drummond + Duncan Robinson among our Top 7 rotation players. 

Just saying ... if we're trading KP, I'm much more interested in trading for McCollum than I am a bunch of long term project players and non Top 3 draft picks like the Golden State Wiseman + picks package or the role player pu pu platter trade that is often thrown around.    Especially as an alternative to overpaying for 33-35 year olds like Lowry, Conely and Lowrey to 3+ year contracts.

I don't think Mavs would do the GSW trade without a third team that does give Mavs a win-now player or two.

A CJ/KP trade just isn't going to happen.

"Overpaying" 33-35 yr olds is in the eye of the beholder. I like Lowry and Conley depending on the years which is the only thing that matters. I would take 2 year deals on any of these guys all day long. 

My favorite realistic option is DeRozan just because he would be a clear talent upgrade that you can get. He's also 31 and still in his prime. Fit is something to be worked out but I like him as a clear upgrade over THJ and J Rich. J Rich does nothing for me and is replaceable by an exception-type player. THJ is a good shooter but Mavs need a big-time difference maker and talent upgrade.

We can talk ab fit all day long but its hard to find the right balance of fit and talent so give me talent over fit all day when we are talking handing out big dollars.
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:48 PM)mvossman Wrote: Agree.  Ball would make way more sense than CJ, and you wouldn't have to trade KP for him.
Ball would be a target on top of that IMO. 

1. Ball
2. CJ
3. Luka
4. Big 3 and D wing
5. Center who can do all traditional duties
Like Reply
(04-21-2021, 12:41 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Maybe someone else has a better explanation. In my mind it would mean Luka would be more of a traditional point forward like Lebron where the distribution duties are shared among multiple players. Luka is one of the best players in the league in post ups and paint scoring. He could create more mismatches off ball and have more energy for driving and defense. 

So this takes Luka out of some of the distribution responsibilities? I get reducing his load so he doesn't wear down, but isn't this one of his superpowers? It seems like only needing him to score 15-20 a night instead of 25+ to win would be the direction to move. That would mean improving the reliability of the rest of the shooters, which hasn't happened much in the last few years.
Like Reply
I like Ball a lot of as a complimentary piece ... but if we're paying him to be the 3rd best player on a Championship caliber team... eehhh.
Like Reply