Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
2020-2021 ROSTER TALK: Archived
(03-24-2021, 01:17 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I wouldn't trade KP for Pascal though. KP is far and away the better player. If TOR threw other stuff in, then maybe.

I will say I'd take the call and listen to their offers. And hey, a KP for Pascal trade is by far more realistic and commensurate than some other KP trades we've seen in the last month or so.

That was my thought.  Grant and Pascal were guys I thought would be interesting conversations.
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 08:13 PM)SamStetz Wrote: Aminu may have just saved Orlando a second rounder in my Aminu + two 2nds for Johnson deal

He's going to need about 30 more games like that to change my opinion.    He is still Wes Iwundu at 5x the money Wes Iwundu makes.
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 10:34 PM)Branduil Wrote: I simply don't see the point in adding a scorer to the front court to "complement" KP, if he's already upset about his touches. I think any trade for a frontcourt scorer should be thought of as a replacement for KP, regardless of if he's actually in the trade. IMO if the Mavs trade for Collins then KP is gone for sure by next year if he's not actually in the trade.

The obvious answer for me is that scoring points is good for winning basketball games (the Nets aren't 30-14  because of their phenomenal lockdown defense) and 4 is the easiest position for the Mavs to upgrade.   DFS is one of the weakest starters on any Western Conference playoff contender and unlike other positions there are available good 4s on the trade block for sale.    The "upgrade" from Fournier from THJ honestly doesn't move the needle (Similar offensive players, but Fournier is   worse than THJ in defense by RAPTOR and other advanced metrics).    The upgrade from DoDo to Gordon or Collins would be fairly substantial.      I mean, DFS is shooting 27% on wide open 3s for the year.    We talk about Gordon being not a good 3 point shooter, and it's really not a high point of his game, but Gordon is hitting 42% of his wide open 3s in comparison ... and Gordon doesn't have anything close to Luka  feeding him as a ball distributor in his entire career.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 01:24 AM)cow Wrote: That was my thought.  Grant and Pascal were guys I thought would be interesting conversations.

Certainly interesting. Perhaps the Mavs can find a 3-way trade that nets them Pascal.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I will admit there are issues with this, but I was surprised the math worked...

Cleveland gets Powell/J. Green/WCS

Dallas gets Drummond/Fournier

Orlando gets Johnson/Burke

You can mix and match Powell/Johnson and Burke/Green however you like and it still works.  Add second rounders as you see fit.

Issues:

Dallas is sending five and taking back two and becomes a LT payer.

I sent Green with Powell to partially compensate Cleveland for taking on Powell's extra years.  Same could be done with Powell/Green to Orlando and Johnson and Burke going to Cleveland.  Powell doesn't fit well either place.  In this version Cleveland saves about $10 million (pro-rated) this season.  I could argue that Powell could play with Vuc., but Orlando is shooting-challenged through the rest of the roster and Green and Powell don't fit well there.

Cleveland doesn't need Allen, McGee, Powell and WCS.  There is probably a market for McGee and WCS so adding other teams with some more compensation to Cleveland is possible.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 07:40 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Certainly interesting. Perhaps the Mavs can find a 3-way trade that nets them Pascal.

If Pascal were available, I suspect several other teams would make better bids than Dallas could.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 07:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If Pascal were available, I suspect several other teams would make better bids than Dallas could.

No question. Pipe dreams are nice though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 07:59 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: No question. Pipe dreams are nice though.

Certainly there would be interest. But the question is, what is his value. Personally I think he is much overpaid. He is 26 (not very young anymore) on an over 30 mil contract long term contract. His shooting is suspect to put it mildly. He is no where near max player but paid like one. I think his situation is as with KP. The offers would unlikely be good enough to make sense for Toronto to move on.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 08:23 AM)omahen Wrote: Certainly there would be interest. But the question is, what is his value. Personally I think he is much overpaid. He is 26 (not very young anymore) on an over 30 mil contract long term contract. His shooting is suspect to put it mildly. He is no where near max player but paid like one. I think his situation is as with KP. The offers would unlikely be good enough to make sense for Toronto to move on.

Agreed.  At this point he has plateaued and a bit overpaid and overhyped.  I don't think we hear his name in rumors because I think it would be selling low on an asset for Toronto.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 07:43 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I will admit there are issues with this, but I was surprised the math worked...

Cleveland gets Powell/J. Green/WCS

Dallas gets Drummond/Fournier

Orlando gets Johnson/Burke

You can mix and match Powell/Johnson and Burke/Green however you like and it still works.  Add second rounders as you see fit.

Issues:

Dallas is sending five and taking back two and becomes a LT payer.

I sent Green with Powell to partially compensate Cleveland for taking on Powell's extra years.  Same could be done with Powell/Green to Orlando and Johnson and Burke going to Cleveland.  Powell doesn't fit well either place.  In this version Cleveland saves about $10 million (pro-rated) this season.  I could argue that Powell could play with Vuc., but Orlando is shooting-challenged through the rest of the roster and Green and Powell don't fit well there.

Cleveland doesn't need Allen, McGee, Powell and WCS.  There is probably a market for McGee and WCS so adding other teams with some more compensation to Cleveland is possible.
Ya, the 5 for 2 is a problem, although, we pretty much don't play any of the outgoing players, so from a game standpoint, it's fine. The flip-side is Cle on a 3 for 1, which might be hard to overcome. 

Green for Powell is good compensation, not sure they would want both Powell and WCS for Drummond, but that is whatever. 

Orl is certainly light, wonder if 2 seconds is enough for them since they're rumored to be looking for a first (not worth a first).
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 07:51 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: If Pascal were available, I suspect several other teams would make better bids than Dallas could.

Well not necessarily because the guy you would be offering is KP. They are in similar situations honestly. KP is actually having a better year. I don't think either get traded but come this summer if KP is unhappy and Siakim is unhappy maybe there is a deal to be made.

The then is who is your center? Maxi isn't really a center. Powell doesn't help your defense. So we'd once again have a hole at center, at least defensively. Anyways for now KP is a Mav.
Like Reply
(03-23-2021, 09:12 PM)cow Wrote: Interest in Bledsoe as a means to get Lonzo.

I know Lonzo is a board fave but I don't recall anything tying the Mavs to Lonzo.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 09:01 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Well not necessarily because the guy you would be offering is KP. They are in similar situations honestly. KP is actually having a better year. I don't think either get traded but come this summer if KP is unhappy and Siakim is unhappy maybe there is a deal to be made.

The then is who is your center? Maxi isn't really a center. Powell doesn't help your defense. So we'd once again have a hole at center, at least defensively. Anyways for now KP is a Mav.

KP/Brunson/Johnson for Siakam/FVV. Make a smaller deal for Holmes to play center and call it a day. And the circle of trade ideas would be complete, leaving us to have nothing to talk about but winning lots of games. Wink
Like Reply
I'll take Holmes and Powell and call it a day.
Like Reply
How about an Euro Mavs trade:

DAL in: Sato, Markkanen.
DAL out: JB, Green and Johnson.

Why? They get a good young starting PF, his rights and a capable backup ball-handler while giving up two of their young guys. Also there's the Euro thing, who knows. Hurts to lose Brunson, but I feel markkanen is worth it. Since they get his rights, they can still pay their Free Agents before signing Lauri.
Like Reply
Finally some interest in our guys is noticed. Pure speculation of course

Chicago would trade us WCJ and 2nd rounder for DFS. Interesting idea. DFS would be hard to replace but I would do it

Sacramento would give us Hield for Kleber, Johnson and FRP. Pass

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937...f-deadline
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 11:28 AM)omahen Wrote: Finally some interest in our guys is noticed. Pure speculation of course

Chicago would trade us WCJ and 2nd rounder for DFS. Interesting idea. DFS would be hard to replace but I would do it

Sacramento would give us Hield for Kleber, Johnson and FRP. Pass

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2937...f-deadline

Mavs give up the better player and a first for THJ 2.0? Dear god. Kings fans have suffered enough. Just move the franchise to Seattle or Vancouver and start from scratch.
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 11:38 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: New Kings GM might be even worse than Vlade. Mavs give up the better player and a first for THJ 2.0? Dear god. Kings fans have suffered enough. Just move the franchise to Seattle or Vancouver and start from scratch.

Don't just shoot him Smile Those were just fantasy trades. Made up by Bleacher
Like Reply
(03-24-2021, 11:39 AM)omahen Wrote: Don't just shoot him Smile Those were just fantasy trades. Made up by Bleacher

Saw it as well. Skipped the intro and just went straight to the proposed trade. The writer probably hasn´t watched basketball in the last couple of years.

Expiring and a 1st for Al Horford
Clippers get Lonzo for garbage and a protected 2027 1st
Barnes is worth a better player (Valanciunas), a really good prospect (Bane) another young player and a 2nd round pick
Blazers give up their remaining assets for Delon Wright
Utah gives up Niang, two recent draft picks and a 2nd for Daniel House (my favorit part is the Daniel House - Rasheed Wallace comparisation)
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1374790874157187076
Like Reply