Posts: 7,924
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Joined: Oct 2019
Amid all the speculation, NBA insider Marc Stein spoke about what he anticipates the Mavericks will do as the offseason remains in full swing, per Bleacher Report. Essentially, Stein expects the Mavericks to be open to trading Thompson, and that would be their starting point. “To this point as much has been relayed to me is the Mavs preference would be a trade, Stein said. “I think it’s still early enough in the summer that if you’re the Mavs you would exhaust those options first, but there’s stuff we have to keep an eye on it.”
Clutch Points
Posts: 4,449
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Joined: Oct 2019
(07-10-2026, 08:16 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Amid all the speculation, NBA insider Marc Stein spoke about what he anticipates the Mavericks will do as the offseason remains in full swing, per Bleacher Report. Essentially, Stein expects the Mavericks to be open to trading Thompson, and that would be their starting point. “To this point as much has been relayed to me is the Mavs preference would be a trade, Stein said. “I think it’s still early enough in the summer that if you’re the Mavs you would exhaust those options first, but there’s stuff we have to keep an eye on it.”
Clutch Points
It’s always made the most sense to me. I don’t think there will be a market there in the end. I think a buyout is more likely. Do right by Klay and let him join MIA, CLE, or GS on a minimum. He signed up to compete for championships here. Now he’s a progress stopper for a lot of the young guys they brought in. As a fan, I appreciate and respect Klay’s game and how he’s handled himself, but I’d rather see Sergio, Tarik, Poulakidas get playing time next year than him... That’s just where the Mavs are at right now…
Posts: 4,913
Threads: 11
Likes Received: 5,802 in 2,502 posts
Likes Given: 5,297
Likes Received: 5,802 in 2,502 posts
Likes Given: 5,297
Joined: Nov 2020
(07-10-2026, 08:16 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Amid all the speculation, NBA insider Marc Stein spoke about what he anticipates the Mavericks will do as the offseason remains in full swing, per Bleacher Report. Essentially, Stein expects the Mavericks to be open to trading Thompson, and that would be their starting point. “To this point as much has been relayed to me is the Mavs preference would be a trade, Stein said. “I think it’s still early enough in the summer that if you’re the Mavs you would exhaust those options first, but there’s stuff we have to keep an eye on it.”
Clutch Points
I have to think that once the price is too high for players like Watson and Kuminga (in assets, salary, or both), then teams get interested in someone like Klay at a lower price point, and the Mavs have the opportunity to gain some good assets. But they don't have to trade him, which works to their advantage in negotiations.
Posts: 24
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 17 in 9 posts
Likes Given: 76
Likes Received: 17 in 9 posts
Likes Given: 76
Joined: Jun 2022
(07-10-2026, 08:24 AM)Smitty Wrote: It’s always made the most sense to me. I don’t think there will be a market there in the end. I think a buyout is more likely. Do right by Klay and let him join MIA, CLE, or GS on a minimum. He signed up to compete for championships here. Now he’s a progress stopper for a lot of the young guys they brought in. As a fan, I appreciate and respect Klay’s game and how he’s handled himself, but I’d rather see Sergio, Tarik, Poulakidas get playing time next year than him... That’s just where the Mavs are at right now…
I get wanting to do right by Klay but he's still a shooter (which we need) and should have value at the trade deadline if the current management doesn't feel like the value is there this summer.
Unless the buyout is 50%+/- then what's the point of the goodwill? Seriously, this is all still a simple point the finger at what Nico did. We need future assets more than goodwill.
Posts: 20,885
Threads: 697
Likes Received: 10,414 in 5,545 posts
Likes Given: 6,342
Likes Received: 10,414 in 5,545 posts
Likes Given: 6,342
Joined: Sep 2019
J.E. Skeets
@jeskeets
via @TheSteinLine: "Atlanta, sources say, has also shown some fresh interest in Peyton Watson, which would likewise require a sign-and-trade to make it happen."
This is the move, Hawks. Advise, advise, advise, @TimBontemps!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Posts: 4,449
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Joined: Oct 2019
(07-10-2026, 08:31 AM)JBB Wrote: I get wanting to do right by Klay but he's still a shooter (which we need) and should have value at the trade deadline if the current management doesn't feel like the value is there this summer.
Unless the buyout is 50%+/- then what's the point of the goodwill? Seriously, this is all still a simple point the finger at what Nico did. We need future assets more than goodwill.
I’m all for a trade that nets an asset or two! I just have a hard time finding something that makes sense. All of MIA, CLE, GS types need to cut salary. If you’re trade matching, you’re probably getting longterm money on the books and a player that could also be a progress stopper. Klay is absolutely still an elite shooter. Different than even the ones they brought in. His quick release and gravity can’t be matched. Just for me, and what this team should look like next year, I’d rather have the young guys get playing time to see what you have. Develop. If I simply remove Klay from the roster with a waive/buyout I can add someone like Poulakidas to the 15-man. Open up a Two-way for Cisse. Waive Tyler Smith and add Ish. All of which opens up actual play time for Sergio, Tarik, Poulakidas. The last two being absolute snipers that will need PT.
Kyrie | Sasser | Nemby
Christie | Sergio | Poulakidas
Flagg | Naji | Tarik | (Ishchenko)
PJW | Aldama | Martin | (Lawal)
Morez | Gafford | Lively | (Cisse)
If I look at the roster like this. My plan would be to rehab Gafford’s value some and look to move him at the deadline. Convert Cisse to deal, like we did with Nemby last season. Much depends on what Morez shows and Lively’s health. But that would be my short term outlook anyway.
Simply moving Klay for nothing in return really gives all of Sasser, Sergio, Tarik, Poulakidas more opportunity. Kyrie will miss games. That’s when Sergio will get a lot of on-ball minutes also.
Just how I see it at the moment anyway..
Posts: 7,924
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Joined: Oct 2019
Marc Stein on a possible Klay Thompson buyout: “To this point as much has been relayed to me is the Mavs preference would be a trade. I think it’s still early enough in the summer that if you’re the Mavs you would exhaust those options first, but there’s stuff we have to keep an eye on it.” The Heat are hoping Klay is one of the shooters that ‘shake free’ soon.
x.com
Posts: 7,924
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Joined: Oct 2019
07-10-2026, 09:09 AM
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2026, 09:20 AM by HoosierDaddyKid.)
Shams Charania: Free agent Jordan Clarkson has agreed to a one-year, $3.9 million deal to return to the New York Knicks, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul and agent Brandon Cavanaugh tell ESPN.
Jordan Clarkson is receiving the veteran minimum and will count as $2.4 million for the Knicks. He will have veto rights to any trade since he’s re-signing on a one-year deal. They’re now $3.3 million below the second apron with 13 players and with room for one more minimum
x.com
Posts: 12,104
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 7,166 in 4,022 posts
Likes Given: 457
Likes Received: 7,166 in 4,022 posts
Likes Given: 457
Joined: Oct 2020
(07-10-2026, 08:45 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: J.E. Skeets
@jeskeets
via @TheSteinLine: "Atlanta, sources say, has also shown some fresh interest in Peyton Watson, which would likewise require a sign-and-trade to make it happen."
This is the move, Hawks. Advise, advise, advise, @TimBontemps!
hawks are further along than the Mavs but they are in the stage of just looking to add assets. They already have a deep team and I wouldn't think Watson is a huge need, but they are just being opportunistic. I never believed they would have any interest in Vanderbilt.
I made a comment that Yaxel was everything they wished Kuminga would be. It is sort of funny though, they are pretty much the same age. Kuminga may be more trick than treat, but I thought he was pretty good in Atlanta. He didn't finish well though. I think they were interested in bringing him back, but they just couldn't justify picking up that option. I think there would be several teams interested in Kuminga. Just not at his asking price.
Posts: 12,104
Threads: 22
Likes Received: 7,166 in 4,022 posts
Likes Given: 457
Likes Received: 7,166 in 4,022 posts
Likes Given: 457
Joined: Oct 2020
(07-10-2026, 09:05 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Marc Stein on a possible Klay Thompson buyout: “To this point as much has been relayed to me is the Mavs preference would be a trade. I think it’s still early enough in the summer that if you’re the Mavs you would exhaust those options first, but there’s stuff we have to keep an eye on it.” The Heat are hoping Klay is one of the shooters that ‘shake free’ soon.
x.com
I think Dallas is clearly trying to be opportunistic. That could lead to something or maybe nothing. I think/hope they have a deal with Cisse that he will eventually get a contract but it may take time. I think a Klay move is probably his spot. We will see.
Posts: 7,924
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Joined: Oct 2019
Atlanta, sources say, has also shown some fresh interest in Watson, which would likewise require a sign-and-trade to make it happen. That said, whether it's the Hawks or the Clippers or any other suitor, sources maintain that the Nuggets are seeking compensation on par with what Utah received from the Lakers in their recent sign-and-trade swap that made Walker Kessler a Laker.
marcstein.substack.com
Posts: 7,924
Threads: 10
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Likes Received: 1,746 in 1,240 posts
Likes Given: 1,724
Joined: Oct 2019
Sources with knowledge of the talks told me Thursday that the Nuggets' sign-and-trade asking price has to this juncture been too steep for the Clippers to deeply consider. As a result, sources say, there is an increasing possibility that the Clippers opt from here to focus on re-signing their own restricted free agent Bennedict Mathurin instead.
marcstein.substack.com
Posts: 663
Threads: 0
Likes Received: 388 in 245 posts
Likes Given: 41
Likes Received: 388 in 245 posts
Likes Given: 41
Joined: Feb 2022
(07-10-2026, 09:28 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think Dallas is clearly trying to be opportunistic. That could lead to something or maybe nothing. I think/hope they have a deal with Cisse that he will eventually get a contract but it may take time. I think a Klay move is probably his spot. We will see.
And I think teams are waiting for us to buy him out so they can sign him for much less. They should hold him til the deadline if they get no offers. At least try and get some 2nds back.
Posts: 2,404
Threads: 8
Likes Received: 1,445 in 833 posts
Likes Given: 4,126
Likes Received: 1,445 in 833 posts
Likes Given: 4,126
Joined: Mar 2020
(07-10-2026, 08:47 AM)Smitty Wrote: I’m all for a trade that nets an asset or two! I just have a hard time finding something that makes sense. All of MIA, CLE, GS types need to cut salary. If you’re trade matching, you’re probably getting longterm money on the books and a player that could also be a progress stopper. Klay is absolutely still an elite shooter. Different than even the ones they brought in. His quick release and gravity can’t be matched. Just for me, and what this team should look like next year, I’d rather have the young guys get playing time to see what you have. Develop. If I simply remove Klay from the roster with a waive/buyout I can add someone like Poulakidas to the 15-man. Open up a Two-way for Cisse. Waive Tyler Smith and add Ish. All of which opens up actual play time for Sergio, Tarik, Poulakidas. The last two being absolute snipers that will need PT.
Kyrie | Sasser | Nemby
Christie | Sergio | Poulakidas
Flagg | Naji | Tarik | (Ishchenko)
PJW | Aldama | Martin | (Lawal)
Morez | Gafford | Lively | (Cisse)
If I look at the roster like this. My plan would be to rehab Gafford’s value some and look to move him at the deadline. Convert Cisse to deal, like we did with Nemby last season. Much depends on what Morez shows and Lively’s health. But that would be my short term outlook anyway.
Simply moving Klay for nothing in return really gives all of Sasser, Sergio, Tarik, Poulakidas more opportunity. Kyrie will miss games. That’s when Sergio will get a lot of on-ball minutes also.
Just how I see it at the moment anyway..
I can’t think of a reason to buy Klay out other than a roster spot.
The coach decides whether he’s a “stopper” for the development of the younger guys simply by allocating minutes. He doesn’t have to play him at all.
Unless Klay is willing to take a substantial discount off his remaining contract, the Mavs would be better off keeping him. Perhaps a contender will be willing to offer a bad player on an expiring contract plus a draft asset at the trade deadline.
Or maybe he’s just a big contributor, both on the court and off.
There’s no “addition by subtraction” here.
Posts: 609
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 405 in 231 posts
Likes Given: 165
Likes Received: 405 in 231 posts
Likes Given: 165
Joined: Dec 2019
(07-10-2026, 11:58 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I was listening when he said what was aggregated here.
He actually mentioned Gafford, PJ Washington, Thomson and Naji Marshall.
He said the mavs have been shopping all four of those guys and would take the right deal if it came along for any of them. My guess is that the source of the aggregation was someone interested in Thompson.
Sorry I don’t believe he has credible sources anymore now that Cuban sidelined.
Posts: 4,449
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Joined: Oct 2019
(07-10-2026, 11:39 AM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I can’t think of a reason to buy Klay out other than a roster spot.
The coach decides whether he’s a “stopper” for the development of the younger guys simply by allocating minutes. He doesn’t have to play him at all.
Unless Klay is willing to take a substantial discount off his remaining contract, the Mavs would be better off keeping him. Perhaps a contender will be willing to offer a bad player on an expiring contract plus a draft asset at the trade deadline.
Or maybe he’s just a big contributor, both on the court and off.
There’s no “addition by subtraction” here.
I don’t disagree with any of this, in fact I agree with most of it. I’m only offering a reason for the “trade Klay” or “buyout Klay” talk. The latest Stein report certainly feels like that’s where we’re headed. Like others have said, I’m on board with the “do right by Klay” approach. If you can’t find a trade, then let him go - if that’s what he prefers.
If he’s on the team next season, I’m perfectly fine with it. At 36, he’s still better than all the young guys I mentioned.
Posts: 609
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 405 in 231 posts
Likes Given: 165
Likes Received: 405 in 231 posts
Likes Given: 165
Joined: Dec 2019
(07-10-2026, 12:02 PM)Smitty Wrote: I don’t disagree with any of this, in fact I agree with most of it. I’m only offering a reason for the “trade Klay” or “buyout Klay” talk. The latest Stein report certainly feels like that’s where we’re headed. Like others have said, I’m on board with the “do right by Klay” approach. If you can’t find a trade, then let him go - if that’s what he prefers.
If he’s on the team next season, I’m perfectly fine with it. At 36, he’s still better than all the young guys I mentioned.
Sorry, this do-right-by thing is one of the most irritating philosophies that gets bantered around on this board. This is a business and it’s about winning. For years Cuban did these things and it screwed us over again and again and it made his product less valuable which is why he ultimately sold.
Plus for all you know Klay loves it here. For all we know the Mavs win a championship in 2028.
I’m not on board with letting him go if that’s what he wants. I’m on board with him contributing in a meaningful way exactly as he is being paid to do.
Posts: 4,449
Threads: 49
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Likes Received: 4,787 in 2,232 posts
Likes Given: 4,367
Joined: Oct 2019
(07-10-2026, 12:10 PM)windjc Wrote: Sorry, this do-right-by thing is one of the most irritating philosophies that gets bantered around on this board. This is a business and it’s about winning. For years Cuban did these things and it screwed us over again and again and it made his product less valuable which is why he ultimately sold.
Plus for all you know Klay loves it here. For all we know the Mavs win a championship in 2028.
I’m not on board with letting him go if that’s what he wants. I’m on board with him contributing in a meaningful way exactly as he is being paid to do.
If it’s so irritating and frustrating for you. Ignore it? I ignore plenty here.
I will bite though. Klay signed up for something different. He has earned status in the league. As a leader, Masai can have the approach you have. Suck it up and be a good soldier. Or he can try to do right by his veterans. There have been reports in the past of him really valuing what his players want - at least vets with status like Klay or Kyrie. If Klay wants to chase a ring and wants out I think it’s reasonable to assume that he would try to help make that happen. The benefit for the Mavs is that the young guys, particularly the ones that overlap with Klay’s role, would get more opportunity to show if they are worth investing in long term.
I don’t want Klay off the team. I just see the possibility and try to offer some reason.
Posts: 609
Threads: 1
Likes Received: 405 in 231 posts
Likes Given: 165
Likes Received: 405 in 231 posts
Likes Given: 165
Joined: Dec 2019
(07-10-2026, 12:21 PM)Smitty Wrote: If it’s so irritating and frustrating for you. Ignore it? I ignore plenty here.
I will bite though. Klay signed up for something different. He has earned status in the league. As a leader, Masai can have the approach you have. Suck it up and be a good soldier. Or he can try to do right by his veterans. There have been reports in the past of him really valuing what his players want - at least vets with status like Klay or Kyrie. If Klay wants to chase a ring and wants out I think it’s reasonable to assume that he would try to help make that happen. The benefit for the Mavs is that the young guys, particularly the ones that overlap with Klay’s role, would get more opportunity to show if they are worth investing in long term.
I don’t want Klay off the team. I just see the possibility and try to offer some reason.
How often does chasing a ring work out. 0?
Doing the right thing by your vet might simply be showing him how he can compete for a ring here.
Posts: 21,280
Threads: 71
Likes Received: 14,224 in 7,269 posts
Likes Given: 14,651
Likes Received: 14,224 in 7,269 posts
Likes Given: 14,651
Joined: Aug 2020
(07-10-2026, 02:56 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Bill Simmons said Lebron to Cleveland is a done deal in his latest pod.
I just caught up on this pod.
His Embiid to Dallas idea almost made me unsubscribe.
|