Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Matchup Preferences?
I think we match up better with the Murray-less Nuggets than anybody else. That's who I want. 

If we wind up with the Clippers, I think you let Kawhi get his and try to stop everybody else, and hope that playoff PG shows up, and playoff Rondo doesn't.
Like Reply
(05-13-2021, 05:10 PM)Hogmelon Wrote: My money is on Phoenix tonight.

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!
Like Reply
Speaking of match-up preferences ...

1.  Which team would the Mavericks prefer as a first-round playoff opponent, the Nuggets or the Clippers?

2.  Which team would the Blazers prefer as a first-round playoff opponent, the Nuggets or the Clippers?

3.  Which team would the Nuggets prefer as a first-round playoff opponent, the Mavericks or the Blazers?

4.  Which team would the Clippers prefer as a first-round playoff opponent, the Mavericks or the Blazers?

ô¿ô

My guesses:

1.  The Nuggets.

2.  The Nuggets.

3.  The Blazers.

4.  The Blazers.
Like Reply
(05-13-2021, 08:56 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I just want to say I saw a different Luka the other night when he destroyed the opponent and had a pissed off look on his face...that player can beat any team in this league any night...

The only opponent Luka cannot beat is the refs. Dude has to chill with the complaining. It is NOT helping him get calls and I'd go as far to say it's actively hurting him.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-15-2021, 01:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The only opponent Luka cannot beat is the refs. Dude has to chill with the complaining. It is NOT helping him get calls and I'd go as far to say it's actively hurting him.

On the other hand I think it also helps him get going. He needs that motivation boost from "injustice", I think
Like Reply
(05-15-2021, 02:02 PM)omahen Wrote: On the other hand I think it also helps him get going. He needs that motivation boost from "injustice", I think

That's a good point. Plus if Luka gets mad we can get more slow-mo shots of him cursing out the refs in slovenian.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Since the Clippers/Nuggets finish is not predictable, I’d just rest my guys if I were the Mavs.
Like Reply
(05-15-2021, 03:39 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Since the Clippers/Nuggets finish is not predictable, I’d just rest my guys if I were the Mavs.

Ya that's where I am. So much gaming of this that even if you tried to lock in your opponent it might not work. I would just rest guys who need rest and play guys who you want some extra practice. KP for sure needs to at least play 20 minutes and maybe just let J Rich get up a bunch of shots to see if he can get his stroke back. With Maxi's health being in question we might need J Rich more than we thought we would.
Like Reply
Up and coming team should covet the #5 spot. Plenty of time to rest next week.
Like Reply
(05-15-2021, 02:02 PM)omahen Wrote: On the other hand I think it also helps him get going. He needs that motivation boost from "injustice", I think

I don't know whether Luka really gets any significant "motivation boost" from perceived "injustice," but he needs to learn how to get that boost (and to channel it into a constructive direction) without interacting with the referees.  Luka's habitual histrionics do more harm than good.
Like Reply
[Image: 95198h-Df-Pg-IUl-Cb-B2-NSMLRa-ZXYay9c-TMkubp1-Xq9is.jpg]
Like Reply
(05-15-2021, 05:02 PM)Jommybone Wrote: Up and coming team should covet the #5 spot. Plenty of time to rest next week.
Even more time to rest if Luka gets injured playing in a pointless game and we proceed to get swept.
Like Reply
I prefer the Nuggets who I think the Mavs will get. I heard a caller on MMB locker-room make a good point which is Mavs already play playoff basketball. A lot of these teams with nice plays and beautiful offensive sets and everything aren't able to take that into the playoffs. Playoff basketball is a total grind with a lot of iso and stars making plays. Our offense is already Luka operating in high pick and roll. There is no real secret to what's happening, its all just about execution. Mavs also don't really run very many plays. To the extent they do its usually out of a timeout or some other extended stoppage of play when they can draw something up. For the most part its just simple basketball and execution.

When you gameplan for another team and everyone is giving 100% effort every minute of the game its hard for teams to execute the type of offense we see in the regular season. Mavs have shown they can win some of these rock fight games. That definitely gives me hope.
Like Reply
Don't care, I just want us to finish 5th and let the rest take care of itself.
Like Reply
(05-15-2021, 01:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: The only opponent Luka cannot beat is the refs. Dude has to chill with the complaining. It is NOT helping him get calls and I'd go as far to say it's actively hurting him.

The guys that complain the most, never get the benefit of the whistle.  Everybody gets fouled. He's a superstar he's going to get calls others don't. But he's not going to get every one. He wants EVERY call !!  Whining is not a good look. As big and strong as LeBron and Luka are, the refs probably feel they can absorb those fouls better than others, so if it's not obvious, they swallow the whistle.
Like Reply
I don't think it matters at all. The championship team that ends up winning the title, would have won against any opponent along the way. The best team always wins in the end. And since that holds for every series, it also holds for the entire competition such as playoffs.

So if there is a team, you can't beat, you anyway don't deserve the title - and you also will not win it.

Mavs just need to take one game at a time, regardless who comes next in the schedule.

So Mavs need to be able to win against either Clippers and Nuggets. Doesn't matter who they will play, they need to be able to win against either team. Hence it does not matter, who they will meet. Need to win.

It can matter however how far you go in playoffs, depending who you meet initially. But to me it's all or nothing. Either you win the championship, or you don't. Everyone else than the championship team, to me has lost.
Like Reply
(05-16-2021, 07:25 PM)burekemde Wrote: I don't think it matters at all. The championship team that ends up winning the title, would have won against any opponent along the way. The best team always wins in the end. And since that holds for every series, it also holds for the entire competition such as playoffs.

So if there is a team, you can't beat, you anyway don't deserve the title - and you also will not win it.

Tell that to the '07 Mavs.

There was one team in the league who had their number. They got them in the first round. I agree in spirit with what you're saying, but matchups make fights, imo.
Like Reply
(05-16-2021, 07:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Tell that to the '07 Mavs.

There was one team in the league who had their number. They got them in the first round. I agree in spirit with what you're saying, but matchups make fights, imo.

This. Just look at the Kings games this season. Just had the Mavs number. End of bench guys and draft busts turning into allstars.
Like Reply
(05-16-2021, 07:25 PM)burekemde Wrote: I don't think it matters at all. The championship team that ends up winning the title, would have won against any opponent along the way. The best team always wins in the end. And since that holds for every series, it also holds for the entire competition such as playoffs.

Mavs just need to take one game at a time, regardless who comes next in the schedule.

So Mavs need to be able to win against either Clippers and Nuggets. Doesn't matter who they will play, they need to be able to win against either team. Hence it does not matter, who they will meet. Need to win.

It can matter however how far you go in playoffs, depending who you meet initially. But to me it's all or nothing. Either you win the championship, or you don't. Everyone else than the championship team, to me has lost.

So your satisfaction/happiness level would be identical in each of the following situations?

1.  Mavs get swept (4-0) by the Clippers in the first round of the playoffs.

2.  Mavs win in the first round of the playoffs, then win in the second round, then win the Western Conference Championship, and then lose a closely contested 7-game series in the NBA Finals.
Like Reply
1) Nuggets don't want the 3 seed, that is clear so far tonight.

2) Not sure the Clips do either...but losing to OKC will be harder.

3) The Mavs don't seem to want to go into the playoffs with a winning streak.

4) The Lakers and Blazers sure as hell don't want the 7th seed.
Like Reply