Poll: What kind of career will Zion have?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A hall of fame career where injury is not remembered much.
26.09%
6 26.09%
A sad career where his potential is derailed by consistent injuries.
39.13%
9 39.13%
Something else... (share below)
34.78%
8 34.78%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWS: Zion Williamson had surgery (back playing)
(01-23-2020, 03:04 AM)omahen Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 01:33 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: My takeaway from Zion's debut is the Spurs decided not to guard him outside of the paint. 

Pop mind game backfired.

Regardless, the kid is going to be a problem for a long time.

SA still won. Next few games will be critical for New Orleans. If they get even further out of the playoff picture, they might be sellers on feb 6th.

Because Zion was on a minutes restriction. They blew a 10+ points lead in less than 3 minutes. I don´t trust Zions jumper because his shooting motion looks really strange but not guarding a guy that made consecutive 3s isn´t a smart move.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 01:33 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: My takeaway from Zion's debut is the Spurs decided not to guard him outside of the paint. 

Pop mind game backfired.

Regardless, the kid is going to be a problem for a long time.

Zion looked extremely bad on defense. They were dribbling past him without any issues for uncontested layups. He looks very slow and clearly the injury is not over yet. The 3s were impressive but one wonders if that can keep up and whether he can stay injury free in the NBA. When he is on top and not injured its clear he can dominate in the paint and be impact player. There are huge risks with this pick, but potentially a huge reward.
Like Reply
Pop gave the NBA their Zion hype story and still won, putting San Antonio on 8th spot again Smile
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 03:08 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t trust Zions jumper because his shooting motion looks really strange

Yep. And I do NOT trust his body. Everything about his normal walking and moving motion screams injury risk. I would be terrified if the Mavs had him instead of Luka.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 03:08 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Because Zion was on a minutes restriction. They blew a 10+ points lead in less than 3 minutes. I don´t trust Zions jumper because his shooting motion looks really strange but not guarding a guy that made consecutive 3s isn´t a smart move.

Zion's jumper is odd. The fact it went in so smooth last night I believe was fools gold. But regardless of that, Zion did have some moments where he showed where his real strengths lie. 

His first basket he relentlessly attacked the ball and put it back in. He's like Montrez Harrell with prime Vince Carter athleticism. 
https://streamable.com/fynlh

If you go to :26 seconds on this video, you see Zion legit just spin on Derozan and literally jumps over both him and Patty Mills to finish a crazy athletic dunk. It was a fantastic pass from Ball as well. This dude legit just caught a lob almost being double teamed with no space and still finished. 

https://streamable.com/3cm90

Zion is the ultimate receiver imo. He doesn't need a jump shot. He needs to learn how to roll effectively and finish in traffic. He could become the ultimate lob catcher.

After this game what I do feel is ultimate sadness that we could've had Zion with Luka and KP. What a freaking perfect pairing that'd be.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 09:59 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: He needs to learn how to roll effectively and finish in traffic.

As from Tuesday we need a PnR guy. I wonder if he is available Smile
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 09:59 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: After this game what I do feel is ultimate sadness that we could've had Zion with Luka and KP.
How is that?
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 10:12 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 09:59 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: After this game what I do feel is ultimate sadness that we could've had Zion with Luka and KP.
How is that?

Same lottery odds as the Pels. Had the combination's fell our way we could have conceivably gotten the 1st pick and taken Zion.

Obviously its just the luck of the draw, so the Mavs had no say over the outcome so I don't blame anyone. But I did catch myself while watching the game last night saying "what if..."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
LMAO at all the people who have tried so, so, so, so desperately hard to be hot takey about Zion. Dude is phenomenal. Just enjoy him and stop trying so hard to be edgy on the internet.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 10:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Same lottery odds as the Pels. Had the combination's fell our way we could have conceivably gotten the 1st pick and taken Zion.

Obviously its just the luck of the draw, so the Mavs had no say over the outcome so I don't blame anyone. But I did catch myself while watching the game last night saying "what if..."
Wait, we had a pick this last draft?
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 10:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:22 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Same lottery odds as the Pels. Had the combination's fell our way we could have conceivably gotten the 1st pick and taken Zion.

It was top 3 protected. So had the Mavs won the lotto they woulda kept the pick and ATL would have to wait until 2020 for the pick from the Luka trade to convey.

It landed at 10 and the rest is history.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 11:13 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(01-23-2020, 10:56 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

It was top 3 protected. So had the Mavs won the lotto they woulda kept the pick and ATL would have to wait until 2020 for the pick from the Luka trade to convey.

It landed at 10 and the rest is history.
 Top 5 protected wasn't it?
Like Reply
If we would have just signed Butler in the offseason instead of completely wiffing on the evaluation risk/reward, then even with Powell's injury we'd be favored to win the championship this year and we wouldn't have any "what if" scenarios regarding Zion.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 09:33 PM)windjc Wrote: If we would have just signed Butler in the offseason instead of completely wiffing on the evaluation risk/reward, then even with Powell's injury we'd be favored to win the championship this year and we wouldn't have any "what if" scenarios regarding Zion.

He was pretty dead set on going to Miami. We couldn't have convinced him to come here so this is kind of moot.

As to the original topic we'll see if Zion can stay hot from deep but I imagine he was happy about that debut.
Like Reply
(01-23-2020, 09:02 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Top 5 protected wasn't it?

right you are. I forgot whether it was top 3 or 5 protected.
Like Reply
Jimmy's not the guy you want long term, especially on a young team.

Super happy for Zion. I still worry about his health long term if he carries that much weight.
Like Reply
can we change this thread title I get confused everytime I see it get bumped
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/OKCTHUNDERAlex/statu...7883966464
Like Reply