Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 106, Kings 113
Carlisle playing Melli every game and completely freezing out Bey otoh is just absurd. What has Melli done to earn that kind of trust?

Is it really just because he is older?

Im beyond sick of Carlisle. Just fire him already.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 05:03 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Carlisle playing Melli every game and completely freezing out Bey otoh is just absurd. What has Melli done to earn that kind of trust?

Is it really just because he is older?

Im beyond sick of Carlisle. Just fire him already.

Then people will say I´m crazy that agents will have their top clients tank Mavs workouts and have their scrubs go all-in. Carlisle literally prefers a player the Mavs outright rejected in a trade over a guy they actively selected in a draft. I don´t know how much clearer you can make it for rookies that this place should be avoided at all costs, if you have options.
Like Reply
The organization elected to rest KP, Richardson, and Redick. Only played Maxi in the first quarter. Didn't play Boban in the second half. 

And the player whose absence people are upset about is Tyler Bey. 

Well, I guess that's what makes horse races, lol.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 07:31 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: The organization elected to rest KP, Richardson, and Redick. Only played Maxi in the first quarter. Didn't play Boban in the second half. 

And the player whose absence people are upset about is Tyler Bey. 

Well, I guess that's what makes horse races, lol.
I’m personally upset that Josh Green didn’t get more run and wasn’t a part of the closing lineup. Even though he had a clearly more positive impact than Hardaway. I still think there’s a good chance we win that game if rick would have gone Green over Hardaway for the last three minutes.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 10:41 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: meister! Glad to see you back. Wondered if you had given up on this roller coaster season.

I have not, this group still excites me somewhat and it is not only frustrating to watch, it ist also very intriguing. So I am not going anywhere Smile

I just don't get to watch the games separately, sometimes I have to rewatch 2 or 3 games in a row when I find the time to keep up and I avoid coming to this board in ordner not to spoiler the result.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 08:14 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: I’m personally upset that Josh Green didn’t get more run and wasn’t a part of the closing lineup. Even though he had a clearly more positive impact than Hardaway. I still think there’s a good chance we win that game if rick would have gone Green over Hardaway for the last three minutes.

Think you might be trolling here, but I'll take that as a serious comment for purposes of answering. 

The team was in desperate need of scoring at that point. Josh Green is not the guy you put in when you badly need a bucket. I would have been pleased as punch with Redick coming in for that purpose, but alas, he was  being rested. 

The rookies don't get more minutes because they're not good. Glad to see that Carlisle is finding a few developmental minutes for Green.
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 07:37 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Think you might be trolling here, but I'll take that as a serious comment for purposes of answering. 

The team was in desperate need of scoring at that point. Josh Green is not the guy you put in when you badly need a bucket. I would have been pleased as punch with Redick coming in for that purpose, but alas, he was  being rested. 

The rookies don't get more minutes because they're not good. Glad to see that Carlisle is finding a few developmental minutes for Green.

Some of the posters in this board amaze me. We're trying to make the playoffs here, and they're upset because we're giving minutes to proven NBA players and not trying to develop our rookies. 

There is a time and a place for playing developmental players. Trying to win a game and desperately needing points in the fourth is not that time. 

Yes, I wish RC would find 5 minutes here or there for Green and Bey. But not at the expense of missing the playoffs or having to do a play in against Golden State!
Like Reply
Just saw that the TWolves swept the Jazz this season. So, the Mavs aren’t alone when it comes to inexplicable struggles with a bad team.  Sometimes, a team just has your number.  Maybe it’s random. Maybe it’s a bad but somewhat talented team (which I think the Kings and Wolves both are) that just matches up with you.  Who knows.
Like Reply
(04-27-2021, 06:21 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Then people will say I´m crazy that agents will have their top clients tank Mavs workouts and have their scrubs go all-in. Carlisle literally prefers a player the Mavs outright rejected in a trade over a guy they actively selected in a draft. I don´t know how much clearer you can make it for rookies that this place should be avoided at all costs, if you have options.

Is this Rick trying to force Management to trade draft picks for experienced players?  He doesnt want to spend time baby-sitting/developing? Or...Rick doesnt like Managements draft selection(Rick wanted someone else) so he freezes them out? 

Unless you are Luka good...you arent getting any burn under RC for 2 or 3 years?

I get it...our rooks arent ready yet?   But Sadiq Bey and Desmond Bane.

What I guess Im asking is could there be something else going on other than just..."the rooks arent ready"?

Or does the rooks not playing seem magnified this season due to the abbreviated season not allowing much time for teams to practice which means less time for rooks to develop?
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 12:15 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Is this Rick trying to force Management to trade draft picks for experienced players?  He doesnt want to spend time baby-sitting/developing? Or...Rick doesnt like Managements draft selection(Rick wanted someone else) so he freezes them out? 

Unless you are Luka good...you arent getting any burn under RC for 2 or 3 years?

What I guess Im asking is could there be something else going on other than just..."the rooks arent ready"?

Or does the rooks not playing seem magnified this season due to the abbreviated season not allowing much time for teams to practice which means less time for rooks to develop?

I think reasons might be much more different. Mavs have all positions filled with vets. It is nice to see Bane and Bey have success on their teams, but would they really get any serious minutes behind JRich, THJ and DFS? Perhaps Bey at SF would, but I am affraid Bane wouldn't. I just think Mavs intentionally went for more long term prospects with perhaps higher ceiling, because they just didn't need the rookies this season.
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 12:15 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I get it...our rooks arent ready yet?   But Sadiq Bey and Desmond Bane.

Bane, fair enough ... but Bey is getting time on a rebuilding team that has absolutely nothing to play for other than developing young players for down the road.

Denver is arguably the best in-house player development team in the NBA in recent years, and RJ Hampton was getting less MP than Josh Green before they traded him for Gordon. 

Ringer did an entire piece on in house development philosophis .. this is league wide dilemma. 

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/20/...opment-nba

“I had a head coach on a different team telling me that for a top-10 pick, the best thing they could have done was put them in the G league,” the scout said, referencing the fact that some young picks don’t get enough in-game experience early in their NBA careers. “But there was too much pressure. He was a top-10 pick in the draft, so it’s also about how the player handles it. … I think the best teams know how to make the G League a vehicle for development.”
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 07:37 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Think you might be trolling here, but I'll take that as a serious comment for purposes of answering. 

No trolling intended. It’s my sincere belief that we would’ve won with green out there instead of Hardaway. I’m not saying give green 20 minutes a night every night or anything but I think letting him close out the game when nothing else was working would’ve been a good thing for his growth. Especially because it’s not like the alternatives were yielding positive results that night. At least green was playing defense. Hardaway was awful.
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 10:22 AM)embellisher Wrote: Some of the posters in this board amaze me. We're trying to make the playoffs here, and they're upset because we're giving minutes to proven NBA players and not trying to develop our rookies. 

There is a time and a place for playing developmental players. Trying to win a game and desperately needing points in the fourth is not that time. 

Yes, I wish RC would find 5 minutes here or there for Green and Bey. But not at the expense of missing the playoffs or having to do a play in against Golden State!
Finding minutes for the young guys and trying to win games aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive with this team. Especially with our team exhausted and coming out with effort and energy issues against teams like Sacramento. To me games like that are perfect for greens development. Makes way more sense to me than watching the same old veterans half ass it out there while making rookie mistakes. Since we don’t seem to have any trouble getting motivated to play against better teams I understand not playing him in those games. But when the whole team plays like ass against lesser competition what would it hurt to put green out there for his defense and energy? Seems like the perfect role for him this year.
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 12:27 PM)BasketballJones41 Wrote: No trolling intended. It’s my sincere belief that we would’ve won with green out there instead of Hardaway. I’m not saying give green 20 minutes a night every night or anything but I think letting him close out the game when nothing else was working would’ve been a good thing for his growth. Especially because it’s not like the alternatives were yielding positive results that night. At least green was playing defense. Hardaway was awful.
Don't disagree that it might have been good for his growth. 

However, the score was still close enough for the Mavs to save the game. It wasn't the time to be making developmental substitutions.They badly needed some buckets -- hence, having three scorers and a 3-point shooter on the floor. Green is an offensive liability. Hardaway gave them a chance -- even not playing well, he had 19 points. 

I think Green might well crack the rotation next season. I hope he does. But I don't look for him to be included in any clutch units in the short term. 
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 12:56 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Don't disagree that it might have been good for his growth. 

However, the score was still close enough for the Mavs to save the game. It wasn't the time to be making developmental substitutions.They badly needed some buckets -- hence, having three scorers and a 3-point shooter on the floor. Green is an offensive liability. Hardaway gave them a chance -- even not playing well, he had 19 points. 

I think Green might well crack the rotation next season. I hope he does. But I don't look for him to be included in any clutch units in the short term. 
Fair enough. I think defense was an equally big need in that game but I suppose we’ll just have disagree on it.
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 12:15 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Is this Rick trying to force Management to trade draft picks for experienced players?  He doesnt want to spend time baby-sitting/developing? Or...Rick doesnt like Managements draft selection(Rick wanted someone else) so he freezes them out? 

Four rookies are a lot for a win-now team to be carrying. There was some buzz around the time that, since the Mavericks had little in the way of picks, they wanted to have a few young prospects on hand to include in trades, if necessary. I don't know if that was ever verified, but it's possible that some of these guys were never primarily intended as building blocks on the court for the organization. 

Even to the extent that is not the case, the official party line (which is probably true) is that with the extremely compressed schedule and lack of practice time, they haven't been able to follow the normal processes for bringing them along. And with the COVID setback and seeding being as tight as it is, there hasn't been much opportunity for in-game developmental minutes.
Like Reply

There are multiple factors in play.
1 On a scrub team like DET or OKC or HOU, for example, raw players get more minutes, because why not. That's just how it works.
2 But there are also the issues of ability and real potential. That matters too.
3 RC will develop players who show potential and give them minutes. He does it all the time, and the list is ongoing. Wake up.
4 But you earn your minutes by what you do with what you are given. If you spare it up and aren't ready, you will go to the back of the line for minutes.
5 The 2020-21 issues you mention could be a factor also.
6 Your idea that RC will only play Luka is, clearly, pure and utter nonsense. You can observe much better than that-- that take is such a fail.
7 How youngsters are developed is only in RC's domain when it comes to practices and playing time. But he gets what he gets to work with and use from the development that is done by others in the organization, or the crappiness thereof. That's part of the equation that always gets ignored.

Obviously S Bey and Bane are playing more because they landed on teams with more minutes to spare, and they also might be better raw material to work with than what the Mavs drafted, but they aren't really a factor in what happens in Dallas.
Like Reply
(04-28-2021, 01:58 PM)F Gump Wrote: 1 On a scrub team like DET or OKC or HOU, for example, raw players get more minutes, because why not. That's just how it works.
2 But there are also the issues of ability and real potential. That matters too.
3 RC will develop players who show potential and give them minutes. He does it all the time, and the list is ongoing. Wake up.
4 But you earn your minutes by what you do with what you are given. If you spare it up and aren't ready, you will go to the back of the line for minutes.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply