Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 99, Knicks 86
MAVS WIN DEFENSIVE BATTLE IN BIG APPLE

In a game where shots weren’t falling, both teams relied on their defensive chops to stay in the match. Although the Knicks put up a determined fight, the Mavs were able to put their stamp on the game at the end. 

NOTABLE ITEMS

PERSONNEL. We all got a surprise when the news came out that Carlisle had unexpectedly tested positive for COVID in the morning, despite having been vaccinated in January. He remained in the hotel for the game, pending results of a re-test. Coach Mosley assumed sideline duties as acting head coach. After the game, Moze reported that Rick has been cleared for travel to D. C. tomorrow, so hopefully, it was just a false positive. 

WCS was still out pursuant to health and safety protocols, per the injury report. Willie has been listed as absent for that reason for over two weeks, so one hopes that nothing more serious has intervened. Redick was with the team in an observer capacity. Before the game, he said he is eager to get back on the court as soon as possible, and is very excited about playing with Luka and KP. Terry remained out for personal reasons. Mitchell Robinson was absent for the Knicks. 

GAME FLOW. The game began in a “ratty” manner, to quote Moze, and was pretty much a dogfight in the first quarter. Dallas trailed 22-25 after one. The Mavericks went through a putrid stretch to begin the second, allowing NY to accumulate a 13-point lead. Your boys came right back to close the quarter on an 18-2 run, with the Mavs taking a 49-46 lead on a 29’ step back three from Luka to end the period. 

Both teams exchanged runs in the third, and Dallas led 72-69 after thirty-six. The Mavericks really clamped down around halfway through the fourth, built a double-digit lead, and never looked back. 

STATS. The teams were about even in the possession battle, but the Mavs shot better inside the arc (47% v 36%). Point differentials for the Mavericks were +18 on points from twos, even on points from threes, and -5 in made free throws, with our men missing five of their 10 freebies. The visitors had a 50-25 advantage in PIP, but were on the wrong end of a 21-11 difference in points off turnovers. The defense can be credited for holding the Knicks to 86 points on 36% shooting overall. Five Mavs scored in double figures — Luka leading with 26, Brunson with 15 off the bench, KP and THJ chipping in 14 apiece, and Josh adding 11. 

KLEBER. Maxi had 7 points and 7 boards, but made his best contribution on the defensive end, holding his assignment Julius Randle to 14 points on 5-20 shooting. Coaches and players alike were raving about the German after the game, expressing amazement at the job he had done on Randle. Good work, Maxi!

DONCIC.  Luka had a 26/8/7 line, with a decent shooting night at 11-23. After the game, he said he didn’t think he had played all that well, but he was happy that the team managed the win. He is the motor that makes this team go, and he did a splendid job finding his teammates. He had a couple of nifty no-look passes, and Boucek commented that she has seen a lot of players make those passes, but the difference with Luka is that he uses his eyes to move the defense before making those unexpected passes. We’ll keep a lookout for that. 

In the fourth quarter, Luka draw a technical foul, softer than a baby’s skin, for yelling “and-one” after posterizing RJ Barrett. He may have gotten a makeup call later in the period, when he swung like Tarzan from the rim. At any rate, that was his 11th tech, so he may want to be a little careful going forward to avoid the automatic suspension after 16 T’s. 

PORZINGIS. Kristaps got off to a bad start, and looked unimpressive throughout most of the first half. He got it together more in the second, and ended up with a not-too-bad 14 points and  11 boards, although the points were on 6-17 shooting, and he had three turnovers. Returning to his old team, and perhaps extra motivated by the lusty boos of the “crowd” at MSG, I am sure that he hoped he would do way better, but it wasn’t to be. He had a technical foul at halftime — not sure what that was about, but may have reflected his frustration at how things were going. 

Post-game, the Bally crew and Boucek postulated that KP may have gotten a little overanxious to impress and ended up with a case of the yips. Coach Jenny said, however, that she was proud of KP for sticking with the game plan, refraining from forcing his offense, and “didn’t hurt the team.” Whoa, faint praise. Whatever the issues, Kris will get another crack at his old squad before long. 

BRUNSON. Jalen continued to wow with another phenomenal game. He had 15 points (6-9 FGA), 7 rebounds and 5 assists in 25 minutes off the bench. It was very enjoyable to watch the way he is able to break down the defense and get to the rim. Jenny admired his secondary playmaking, poise, and shot creation, declaring the Mavs to be a better team when JB is on the floor. Moze also complimented Jalen for his timing, game management, court vision, and team leadership. Wonderful!

MENTIONS. THJ made a good recovery from a forgettable game against Boston, and had 14 points on 5-9 shooting in 21 minutes of action. Jenny called his performance “tremendous,” and commented on what a luxury it is to have a guy off the bench who can get hot so fast and operate as a game changer. She allowed that whenever the Mavs get down, Timmy is going into the game. Richardson had a few really nice plays, and had an efficient (5-10 FGA), if limited, evening with 11 points. Powell and Melli served as the third and fourth bigs, and combined for 4 points and 1 rebound in 24 minutes. 

REDICK. JJ didn’t play, but Coach Boucek gave us some insights as to what he is expected to contribute to the team. She confirmed that what the Mavs were really looking for in signing Redick is help in the playoffs (hence, why they are not too discombobulated by his lack of a timetable right now). They see him as a shooter who can run off ball screens and hit with a high degree of accuracy. He also has more playoff experience than the whole rest of the team combined, and they think he will be a great addition in the locker room. We hope he makes his way to the court before long. 

KNICKS. The Knicks have really come along, particularly on the defensive end, of late, and aren’t the pushovers they once were. Alec Burks was their leading scorer with 20 points off the bench. Randle had 14 points and 11 boards, and Reggie Bullock added 13. The Mavs deserve some credit for holding several Knicks to extremely inefficient shooting — Randle 5-20, Barrett 3-11, Rose 1-10, Quickley 2-9. Pee-ew. 

OBSERVATIONS

The acting head coach applauded his squad for a “great team effort.” He said he felt a sense of comfort when Rick messaged him before the game with the news that Moze would probably coach, and assured Mosley that he was ready. Jenny added that, at this point in Rick’s career, he is all about leaving a legacy and passing the torch, and gives a lot of attention to the professional development of his coaching staff. The players who spoke after the game unanimously declared that Mosley did a great job. 

This was an unusual contest, in that the Mavs’ high-powered offense was not consistently on display. It was a grit n’ grind type of game, and it was great to see that our team was able to dig out with defense and win ugly, since that’s probably what they’re going to see in the playoffs. It was also satisfying to see the opponent crater in the stretch and the Mavs to build on and cement their lead, for a change. 

The Mavericks travel to DC tonight for a SEGABABA against the Wizards. I don’t know whether the Mavs are going to rest players, but if Luka plays, I look forward to the Luka-Russ matchup. 

I like this game. Hope they can keep up the good work tomorrow.
Like Reply
Everytime Maxi swings the ball in the corner after getting a pass, I expect either DFS or Jrich to miss.
Jrich is the king of missed layups.
Speaking of, layups, Melli initiated a break, took a few dribbles and passed it to Jrcih who missed a layup. Melli is a big with handles, could be useful for the Mavs.
Randle was bothered by Maxi.
Brunson is making a living out of what Luka is good at. Penetrating the lane and scoring with trickery. Brunson is having more layups though.
Like Reply
Sort of a slog of a game by both teams.   Although I have been waiting for a win like this.   It is a sign of a good team.  Winning games where you are not at your best.  The Dirk prime years we did this all the time.   Just stay close and then 4-5 minutes of good basketball late, put the game away.   

Jalen was great.   KP and Luka (outside of a strong close) was just ok.   Defense appeared to be good.   

Nice exposure by Mosely too getting a win in NYC on NBA TV.   Must feel good to get that first win.   

That Knick team plays at Detroit tonight, than back to back again with the Nets and Celtics.  The Knicks are on a 3 game losing streak currently.  If they do not take care of business tonight, they may be looking at a 6 game losing streak in the next few days.

(04-03-2021, 01:05 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Everytime Maxi swings the ball in the corner after getting a pass, I expect either DFS or Jrich to miss.
Jrich is the king of missed layups.

I thought JRich made some good plays but I have no confidence in him making open threes when he gets a good look.   He just needs to be more consistent...especially with those wide open threes.   If he could just be a good open three point shooter and get you between 12-14 points per game (2 threes, a couple of twos and maybe two free throws) that is the production we need from him with everything else he provides.  Right now, he just isn't making enough open threes.
Like Reply
I don’t think you can heap enough praise on Brunson right now.  He was the author of every big run Dallas had last night.  The first three of those runs came immediately after NY runs and with Luka sitting.  He is Mr. Fourth Quarter forcing his way onto the court in place of someone each night.  I wouldn’t say our Clutch issues are solved, but they would be much worse if not for Brunson.  

I think Powell had a really nice run of positive plays in the 4th.  Interesting that they went to the lob out of a timeout when the team hadn’t scored in a while.  But, I thought he did a nice job of helping to close the lane on drives and got a nice block on one play.

I very much am in favor of someone taking the Melli role.  I really dislike DFS/KP as your 4/5 combo.  It will take a superstar to dislodge Maxi as the starter, but we don’t have a good answer for what happens in the minutes he sits.  I’m hopeful Melli can do that, but it is by no means a sure thing.  Whether it is Melli or a better version of Melli, it is a role we need to fill.

It will be interesting to see who loses minutes to Redick.  I suspect we won’t see much of Burke and the Green cameos will come to an end.  Imagine how much better you will feel seeing the ball swing to Redick instead of JRich.  The challenge will be keeping enough D on the floor to hide Redick’s defensive deficiencies.

I get the desire to bring in a star/potential star like Collins.  But, Maxi isn’t the problem with our starting lineup.  I thought I heard them say on the broadcast that THJ is the second leading bench scorer in the league and while he isn’t as consistent as I’d like, he has been the most efficient he’s ever been.  To me, the biggest difference you could make in our lineup is replacing JRich.  The good news is there are lots of options at his position in free agency.
Like Reply
(04-03-2021, 08:53 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I don’t think you can heap enough praise on Brunson right now.  He was the author of every big run Dallas had last night.  The first three of those runs came immediately after NY runs and with Luka sitting.  He is Mr. Fourth Quarter forcing his way onto the court in place of someone each night.  I wouldn’t say our Clutch issues are solved, but they would be much worse if not for Brunson.  
Like Reply
(04-03-2021, 08:53 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: To me, the biggest difference you could make in our lineup is replacing JRich.

Why not DFS? I would still say JRich brings a bit more than him. OPJ, Barton or DJJ would all bring value to our wing position (keeping DFS of course). 

(04-03-2021, 08:53 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The good news is there are lots of options at his position in free agency.

Not counting the old guys and JRue, I only see Ball, unfortunately. Schroeder perhaps? Everything else is a steep decline in defense.

(04-03-2021, 08:53 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I get the desire to bring in a star/potential star like Collins.  But, Maxi isn’t the problem with our starting lineup.

I think incorporating PF in the rotation is very easy as Mavs are currently constructed. Luka, Brunson, THJ and JRich basically take minutes of 2 and a half spots. DFS takes remaining minutes at SF and part of PF. Maxi takes remaining PF, KP most of C with the others taking those remaining C minutes. Roughly like this, ignoring Burke cameo and perhaps some cameo at PF. 

If you bring in a PF like Collins, he will take all DFS minutes at PF,reducing his total minutes significantly, as he won't be pushing guards out of rotation. Collins would also take some of Maxi minutes at PF with Maxi taking those back up minutes behind KP at C (lets simplify Collins will exclusevly play PF). So Collins would have around 30-35 minutes while DFS and Maxi would be reduced to some 25 minutes, more natural to their abilities.
Like Reply
(04-03-2021, 09:21 AM)omahen Wrote: Why not DFS? I would still say JRich brings a bit more than him. OPJ, Barton or DJJ would all bring value to our wing position (keeping DFS of course). 

Not counting the old guys and JRue, I only see Ball, unfortunately. Schroeder perhaps? Everything else is a steep decline in defense.

I think incorporating PF in the rotation is very easy as Mavs are currently constructed. Luka, Brunson, THJ and JRich basically take minutes of 2 and a half spots. DFS takes remaining minutes at SF and part of PF. Maxi takes remaining PF, KP most of C with the others taking those remaining C minutes. Roughly like this, ignoring Burke cameo and perhaps some cameo at PF. 

If you bring in a PF like Collins, he will take all DFS minutes at PF,reducing his total minutes significantly, as he won't be pushing guards out of rotation. Collins would also take some of Maxi minutes at PF with Maxi taking those back up minutes behind KP at C (lets simplify Collins will exclusevly play PF). So Collins would have around 30-35 minutes while DFS and Maxi would be reduced to some 25 minutes, more natural to their abilities.

Collins would solve so many problems with this roster. But he is a pipe dream. Atlanta is not letting him go
Like Reply
(04-03-2021, 09:33 AM)embellisher Wrote: Collins would solve so many problems with this roster. But he is a pipe dream. Atlanta is not letting him go

They were listening to offers so I don't know that's true. I think they would let him go for the right package. The asking price at the TDL wasn't super high. Mavs would be in better shape if they already had a good first round pick to trade. I think Green is worth much less than the #18 pick used to draft him.
Like Reply
(04-03-2021, 09:21 AM)omahen Wrote: Why not DFS? I would still say JRich brings a bit more than him. OPJ, Barton or DJJ would all bring value to our wing position (keeping DFS of course). 
I think it may be some personal preference.  Although contract and expectations have to factor in.

In my opinion, DFS is probably a 8-10 million dollar player who has a year left on his contract at 4 million.   I think the Mavs hoped Richardson would be a 15-18 milion a year player but I think he is currently playing at around an 10 million a year player.  Mavs really need a 15-18 millionish production player at the wing.  So the question is do they have one?  If not, how do they get one.
Like Reply