Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 113, Celtics 108
MAVS SURVIVE CELTICS COMEBACK IN BEANTOWN

This game looked to be a blowout through three quarters, but grew alarmingly close in the fourth. Dallas held on for a wire-to-wire win. 

NOTABLE ITEMS

PERSONNEL. WCS (COVID protocols), Redick (heel), and Terry (personal) were out for the Mavs. None has a timetable for return, as far as we know. Langford, Ojeleye, and Thompson were missing for Boston. 

GAME FLOW.  Both teams looked engaged from the get-go. The Mavs built an 11-point lead, and ended the first quarter 30-25. Your boys took off in the second, and went into the interval with a 64-45 lead, fueled by a 24-point half from #77. Dallas led 90-73 when 36 minutes had ticked by. The fourth was a nearly unwatchable conglomeration of miscues and poor play by the visitors. The Celts were within 2 with 16 seconds left. Fortunately, the Mavericks held on, thanks to four made free throws from Brunson. Whew!

STATS. Our guys had an horrendous 17-shot deficit in FGAs, thanks in large part to 20 turnovers, which also cost them 23 points. They also missed 7 of their 25 FTAs. However, 49% shooting from behind the arc will usually get the job done, and 19 triples from the Mavs saved the day. 

DFS. Doe had an outstanding game, playing steady defense for 40 minutes, and adding 11 points, 9 boards and 2 steals to boot. He was awarded the Defensive Player of the Game Belt for his outstanding work on Jayson Tatum, who led the Celtics with 25 points, but took 24 shots to accomplish it. 

RICHARDSON. Josh played long minutes (39), and recorded 6 rebounds and 4 assists, but had an inefficient offensive night (3-9 shooting for 8 points) and turned the ball over three times. He played the entire fourth quarter, scoring no points and committing two of his turnovers. Despite a decent line, I would say pretty meh, at best. I would be happy to make this a conversation point, if others have a different view. 

DONCIC. Luka treated us to an outstanding offensive display, with 36 points on 11-15 shooting, including some VERY difficult shots. He also had 8 boards and 5 assists. In the fourth quarter, he exhibited an uncharacteristic slide, hitting only one shot and committing three head-scratching turnovers. However, he did keep the team together during the period, and from an overall game standpoint, was a joy to watch. 

BRUNSON.  Jalen had a phenomenal game, with 21 points on 8-10 shooting, together with 5 boards and 3 dimes off the bench. He was part of the clutch unit (starters, with JB in instead of KP), and was especially effective in the critical last few plays. A really good showing by the man from Villanova!

PORZINGIS. Interesting evening from KP. He had a pretty good stat line with 19 points (although on 6-15 shooting), 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 blocks and 2 steals. I thought his first half was rather splendid, with an impressive impact on the defensive end. 

He played only 2 minutes in the fourth quarter, as the Celtics went super-small, and KP, according to Rick, would not have been able to keep up with Marcus Smart and the other talented Boston smalls “coming at us 110 mph.” Carlisle put Kris in for a minute or two to give Maxi a blow, and said that Zinger was uncertain whether he should venture out there. The Bally crew (formerly FSSW) agreed that Rick made the right decision for this contest, but thought that KP is going to have to learn to deal with wings guarding him, as he can expect other teams to copy the Celtics’ approach. I have to say, it was unnerving for the Mavericks not to be able to punish the Celts with their size advantage down the stretch. 

DEEP BENCH.  Melli got another runout, this time being six minutes in the first and second quarters. He had a three, a rebound, and an assist. Green also got a cameo in the second, and recorded a missed shot and an assist. Melli and Green combined to miss three bunnies to open the second, but they’ll do better as time goes by. 

CELTICS.  This squad has been a little disappointing this season, largely due to absences generated by COVID and injuries. However, one always underestimates the Celtics at his peril, and after a putrid second quarter, they came back with all the fight they could muster. Tatum led the team with 25 points, Brown followed with 24, Walker had 22, and Smart put up 17.

OBSERVATIONS

Rick was surprisingly laudatory, congratulating his team for holding it together enough to withstand the Celtics storm at the end. He admitted that his men made some mistakes, but believes they will learn from those. 

Boston made this one interesting, after all. It was one of the stranger games I have witnessed this season. After the Mavs looked so good in the first half, it was discouraging to see their fourth-quarter collapse bugaboo rear its ugly head. Taking KP out for most of the fourth was really bewildering me. I thought he must have picked up a knock. Although I guess we have an official explanation -- KP couldn't guard the small Celtics, I remain puzzled. My main concern after the match is what it portends for the future. If an opponent playing small means KP can’t be on the floor, I think that is a portent heralding few good things for the Mavs.

Well, anyway, it’s a win, so let’s be happy. The Mavericks face the Knicks on Friday, and new Mav JJ Redick is expected to be with the team, although not on the court yet. After telling Mavs Twitter on his podcast today to “Calm the F down,” lol, he indicated that he is in fact not laying out, but looks forward to playing with Luka, KP, and the rest of the his new teammates. 

Next stop, Madison Square Garden!
Like Reply
I will make some initial remarks before I actually read your recap, mavsluvr. I don't want to conflate your throughts with my initial ones and I am interested in if I am way off or whether you had similar thoughts:

This will be the first time that I really criticize Luka. You might think I'm crazy after he had 36 points on ridiculous shooting, but hear me out: He had, I think, 5 assists to 8 turnovers, which is bad by itself. Moreover, he player hero ball for most of the game. In my opinion, he struggled MIGHTILY against the double-teaming of the Celtics, again. I said it the last time again Boston that I think Stevens is spot on in the way he defends Luka.

Sure, not every team has defensive guards like Smart and Brown to put on Luka and throw effective double-teams at him for almost 48 minutes, but this type of competition is what he'll face in the playoffs or critical games and moments in general. He HAS to be able to do better than dribble the ball for 22 seconds and heave a step-back-three with the time running out or committing a turnover. Yes, fortunately the kid is a genius and hit some RIDICULOUSLY difficult shots but I mean come on, we can't bank on that. If Luka had not been this hot lately, this might have been the worst game of his career statistically.

I don't know if I am being crazy because I want this team to work and be successfull but even in the first half it was painfully obvious to me, how Luka broke KP's great rhythm to start the game, by constantly ignoring him, even whilst open, and hoisting step-back-threes instead. Like I said, he made them but is still annoyed me somewhat. That's not good basketball, in my opinion. I know I keep reading into KP's and Luka's demeanor but this just can't be right. Something is brewing there. I can't imagine all the other players can really like that kind of basketball.

Also RC: What was he doing down the stretch with his lineups? Inserting KP for rebounding the last freethrow and essentially not play him for almost the entire fourth when he had a decent game (and was especially good on defense)? If we were tanking I'd get it. I get that Lukas has an infinitely long leach leash but is this really the best way to go? There has to be some middle ground there.

I know we had problems to close out games all year and maybe I am frustrated about this fact so I can't see things clearly but the Celtics pretty much handed us this game on a silver platter, they were ICE COLD for the entire game and we still almost managed to throw them this one. If they had not missed a couple of open looks down the stretch, we'd be talking about another unnecessary loss. We made so many mistkaes late - again - and most of it was on Luka. Dribble- dribble- dribble, turnover late in the clock or make or miss a ricidulously difficult contested three will not win you anything in the playoffs. If that's the best we've got, we are in big trouble.

I am the biggest Luka homer, kid is going to be in the MVP conversation for 10+ years but we have to do something. Somethings clearly not right.
Like Reply
Glad you don't fully understand the KP situation either and I am with you on the assessment of JRich. Player of the game was, for sure, Brunson, not just because he iced the game on the line. He was spectacular. I would have been interested to see Luka in this situation, since he, again struggles at the line which is also an enigma by itself. How does he just shoot about 74 percent with his shooting form? But I digress...

Do I see things or how do you feel about my take on this game? Am I exaggerating?
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 04:46 AM)meistermatze Wrote: This will be the first time that I really criticize Luka.

I just have to jump in here, because I think you are unfair. Yes, Luka took difficult shots. But he shot them at ridicoulous percentage. Over 60 % on threes and over 70 % overall. He also only took 15 shots out ot 77 total Mavs shots. So you can't claim he wasn't sharing the ball. Add total 16 TO to the 77 shots and Luka took 23 possessions (15 shots and 8 TO) out of 93 total. KP had 17 (15 shots and 2 TO) on 40 % shooting. Brunson had 11 and he benefited mostly from defensive effort Boston gave to Luka. I trully don't understand what you are complaining about. I think you are assuming that Luka would be just hoisting those extremely difficult shots even if they wouldn't go in. But how do you know? I find it totally reasonable Luka was shooting them because he was really feeling it. 

Luka was brilliant until last quarter. I wonder how much of last quarter is really on Luka. As we all pointed out, Mavs were playing without KP - coach decision. Additionally Mavs extremely slowed down the offense - was that Luka or coaching decision? Luka missed 3 shots in the fourth, same as THJ.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 11:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: My main concern after the match is what it portends for the future. If an opponent playing small means KP can’t be on the floor, I think that is a portent heralding few good things for the Mavs.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 11:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Melli got another runout, this time being six minutes in the first and second quarters.
After he showed out last game, I was interested in seeing his performance at BOS. 

FWIW, he seemed competent defensively. I noticed one possession where he had Tatum 1 on 1 out at the 3pt line and Tatum could not get past him despite multiple tries and ended up passing it off. Next time down Tatum took a 30ft 3pt shot, which he made, but I can live with him taking that shot. Melli was 1 for 3 on shooting, but seemed comfortable stepping into the 3pt one he made. I'm hopeful we have a contributor in this guy.

(04-01-2021, 06:39 AM)omahen Wrote: Luka was brilliant until last quarter. I wonder how much of last quarter is really on Luka. As we all pointed out, Mavs were playing without KP - coach decision. Additionally Mavs extremely slowed down the offense - was that Luka or coaching decision? Luka missed 3 shots in the fourth, same as THJ.
BOS was doubling Luka hard and Smart seemed pretty good at digging the ball out of Luka's possession. Which also seemed to frustrate Luka as well. I'm not a coach, but it seems like he could have passed out sooner and avoided the DT while keeping the ball moving.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 04:56 AM)meistermatze Wrote:  I would have been interested to see Luka in this situation, since he, again struggles at the line which is also an enigma by itself. How does he just shoot about 74 percent with his shooting form? 

I've noticed that Luka rarely stays set for the whole shot motion. After the ball leaves his hand he is always moving backwards or forwards or side-to-side. He rarely just stands there and lets the shot just flow
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 07:57 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I'm not a coach, but it seems like he could have passed out sooner and avoided the DT while keeping the ball moving.

That is a problem if you are taking long possessions. First Luka dribling the ball for 15 seconds to steal time - I am pretty sure that was coaching decision. Than you have 10 seconds or so to finish the offense - at that point the opponent sends the double team and once you pass the ball the remaining guys only have a couple of seconds to do something.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 04:56 AM)meistermatze Wrote: How does he just shoot about 74 percent with his shooting form?

I think it is mainly pshychological. Shooting free throws is entirely different than shooting with the game flow. You have 20 or so seconds to think about the shot at the FT line. I think Luka will just improve with experience. His shot form is not broken
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 08:16 AM)omahen Wrote: I think it is mainly pshychological. Shooting free throws is entirely different than shooting with the game flow. You have 20 or so seconds to think about the shot at the FT line. I think Luka will just improve with experience. His shot form is not broken
Which is really weird given his ability to handle pressure.
Like Reply
(03-31-2021, 11:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: BRUNSON.  Jalen had a phenomenal game, with 21 points on 8-10 shooting, together with 5 boards and 3 dimes off the bench. He was part of the clutch unit (starters, with JB in instead of KP), and was especially effective in the critical last few plays. A really good showing by the man from Villanova!

PORZINGIS. Interesting evening from KP. 
Well, anyway, it’s a win, so let’s be happy. The Mavericks face the Knicks on Friday, and new Mav JJ Redick is expected to be with the team, although not on the court yet. After telling Mavs Twitter on his podcast today to “Calm the F down,” lol, he indicated that he is in fact not laying out, but looks forward to playing with Luka, KP, and the rest of the his new teammates. 

Next stop, Madison Square Garden!

Great stuff ML.  Consistent MVP writeups!  Wink

Thoughts that jump out to me on this one (this Melli throw-in guy btw looks like he could be a fun story but another day, give him time). 

Luka !  Despite the poor stretch with turnovers, I think we're watching this young super star in the process of ascending to another level when it was already at the franchise player and NBA Allstar level.  
He said he was going to focus on his shooting, especially his 3 point shot as an area of improvement and incredibly you can see him trying to get into that extended range, step back, Curry, Dame range with some degree of accuracy.   Just turned 22! 

Becoming a threat out there takes his offense to that continual MVP candidate level we're really seeing for the 1st time this season.  Brad Stevens and the Celtics clearly treated him with defensive respect of a guy they see as the key to the game when he's on the floor.  Stop Doncic and worry about everyone else later. 
Fortunately everyone else included a capable team with a guy named ... 

Jalen B. ! If Luka is a 1st name only needed guy, Jalen maybe a guy that needs only an initial added.  (There was that Jalen Rose guy that also pops to mind ...).   I've said the gem of draft pick from Villanova might have Chris Paul light as a ceiling.  I'll admin that does seem a bit exaggerated, after all he's not an NBA Allstar, yet, but really, how good might Brunson get if he continues on this pace?   He's a little older on the young player curve at 24 but his BBIQ makes him fun to watch his growth. 

KP ! The KP thing is fascinating to watch for me because it goes directly to observations I and others have made about the quirky brilliance of Rick Carlisle and the very specific mindset he applies to his basketball system.  I've pointed it out as it particularly affects the BIG men on his teams, most specifically the 5 position. 
Fitting with Carlisle ball as a 5 requires a very specific beast and the Unicorn probably sits right at the edge of acceptability because no matter what a center can do offensively Carlisle thinks 1st in terms of who does he defend

Quote: Taking KP out for most of the fourth was really bewildering me. I thought he must have picked up a knock. Although I guess we have an official explanation -- KP couldn't guard the small Celtics, I remain puzzled. My main concern after the match is what it portends for the future. If an opponent playing small means KP can’t be on the floor, I think that is a portent heralding few good things for the Mavs.

I made this point ad nauseum as it relates to Boban, whose career looks to be pretty much ending effectively in Dallas in the bench cheerleader role primarily.  KP who is a star player and a giant in his right just like Boban, still must be able to guard someone effectively at all times.  No matter what the score is.  
We can all see that if the Celtics were super small they would be a problem for KP or any giant sized Mav or even just a BIG Mav to guard.  

At the same time, the mismatch on the other end should mean they have major problems guards a giant Mav near the basket, right?  The losing team has to get stops more so than the team with significant lead right? 
Carlisle ball doesn't have that mode, despite the fact that he is known for his brilliant offense.  Its the defense that dictates there.    As Coach Stan Van Gundy pointed out, this is the way NBA coaches are trained, and its why a Boban can't get minutes in today's game, although he is an extreme case. 

Rick won't close the game by holding a lead with using an offensive scoring mismatch. The team has to defend well, no matter what the score says or logic even would seem to dictate in terms of winning the game. 

Quote:the Celtics went super-small, and KP, according to Rick, would not have been able to keep up with Marcus Smart and the other talented Boston smalls “coming at us 110 mph.” 
Like Reply
I think the sneaky decision was to keep Brunson in the game on the offensive side as he was breaking down the C's better than KP could with the Luka traps.  Left Kemba to guard JB and that is a mismatch.  Maybe it was defense as well but idk.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 08:44 AM)Hypermav Wrote: I think the sneaky decision was to keep Brunson in the game on the offensive side as he was breaking down the C's better than KP could with the Luka traps.  Left Kemba to guard JB and that is a mismatch.  Maybe it was defense as well but idk.

This is true.  You don't have to be a giant to score high percentages at the rim.  That may well be part of the Coach think here. 

Generally speaking though the Carlisle Mavs have had issues holding big leads so I'm not sure the percentages bear out well.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 08:44 AM)Hypermav Wrote: I think the sneaky decision was to keep Brunson in the game on the offensive side as he was breaking down the C's better than KP could with the Luka traps.  Left Kemba to guard JB and that is a mismatch.  Maybe it was defense as well but idk.

Yeah, good observation. There was more going on than just "Celts went small" because we have in fact punished some teams for going small with KP. I think about how KP has feasted on Rocket meat at times. Wanting Brunson on the floor was part of it. Coach may not have wanted to take any of the other wings off the floor. 

This is a shot in the dark, but is there a message about what to do against smaller players that KP has not been implementing. Is there some psychological ploy or negative reinforcement going on here? A non-verbal, "if you'll do these things we've talked about, you'll punish smaller players". Maybe not, just spit balling. 

After the fact, if Rick had to do it over again, given the problems of the 4th quarter, he might not do it the same way.

Anyone have patience for a coach trying stuff and learning from the experience? Seems like not, for most fans.
Like Reply
Nice recap.

In general, there seems to be a lot of angst after a win online.   I get it.  But imagine how you would feel if you were a Celtic fan right now.

I keep on waiting for the Celtics to go on a little run, but every time I see them I am left uninspired.   I still believe they will be a difficult out in the playoffs.  Both Tatum and Brown has gotten so many playoff reps the past few years that you can't discount them.  I have lowered my expectations of them of winning 2 or more series though.

They are also counting on Robert Williams a lot.  Even if he proves worthy of their trust, they appear another big guy short.   The Theis move is really weird.  To move off of him for tax or creating a roster spot is just odd.  Imagine if Mark traded Kleber at the deadline for nothing.   I can't imagine even with a healthy Robert Williiams that they have enough up front for the playoffs.

Lastly, I was really disappointed how Tatum played last night.  He settled way too much for the three pointer (I am not complaining, I am glad he settled).  He is much better when he was attacking the rim.   Especially when you start off cold from three.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 08:56 AM)fifteenth Wrote: After the fact, if Rick had to do it over again, given the problems of the 4th quarter, he might not do it the same way.

Anyone have patience for a coach trying stuff and learning from the experience? Seems like not, for most fans.

Jeeze, man, why give RC any credit?  Angel
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 04:46 AM)meistermatze Wrote: This will be the first time that I really criticize Luka. You might think I'm crazy after he had 36 points on ridiculous shooting, but hear me out: He had, I think, 5 assists to 8 turnovers, which is bad by itself. Moreover, he player hero ball for most of the game. In my opinion, he struggled MIGHTILY against the double-teaming of the Celtics, again. I said it the last time again Boston that I think Stevens is spot on in the way he defends Luka.

Sure, not every team has defensive guards like Smart and Brown to put on Luka and throw effective double-teams at him for almost 48 minutes, but this type of competition is what he'll face in the playoffs or critical games and moments in general. He HAS to be able to do better than dribble the ball for 22 seconds and heave a step-back-three with the time running out or committing a turnover. Yes, fortunately the kid is a genius and hit some RIDICULOUSLY difficult shots but I mean come on, we can't bank on that. If Luka had not been this hot lately, this might have been the worst game of his career statistically.

I don't know if I am being crazy because I want this team to work and be successfull but even in the first half it was painfully obvious to me, how Luka broke KP's great rhythm to start the game, by constantly ignoring him, even whilst open, and hoisting step-back-threes instead. Like I said, he made them but is still annoyed me somewhat. That's not good basketball, in my opinion. I know I keep reading into KP's and Luka's demeanor but this just can't be right. Something is brewing there. I can't imagine all the other players can really like that kind of basketball.
Thanks, meister. 

I might not be as down on Luka's performance as you are, but I agree that he had significant problems with the double-teams. Partly in the sense of actually dealing with the doubles, and partly in the sense of maybe getting a little rattled and that affecting him on other plays. 

I like to take an upbeat slant in the recap after wins, so tend to let some of these nuanced issues pass by in victories unless someone brings them up. Since you have raised this one, I have been worried for a while now about the team's extreme dependence on Luka, and what they are going to do when teams make it a priority to shut him down in the playoffs. I think this game constitutes a dress rehearsal for that kind of effort, and the team, I regret to report, did not pass with flying colors. 

It is possible that Redick will help a little with resisting that sort of game plan, since, by all accounts, he still reliably draws off a defender. However, I'm not thinking that will have a huge impact, since Redick's defensive issues may prevent him from being used very much in the post-season. 

I am also afraid that there will be a limit to how much Brunson can stay on the floor in the playoffs, due to his size and the defensive issues that causes against bigger teams. The team is in woeful need of another playmaker who can score, but that may be a hole they are stuck with for this season. I hope they don't have to take KP off the floor in important stretches because he can't guard anybody, or at least the coach thinks he can't. Yikes!
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 04:56 AM)meistermatze Wrote: Glad you don't fully understand the KP situation either and I am with you on the assessment of JRich. Player of the game was, for sure, Brunson, not just because he iced the game on the line. He was spectacular. I would have been interested to see Luka in this situation, since he, again struggles at the line which is also an enigma by itself. How does he just shoot about 74 percent with his shooting form? But I digress...

Do I see things or how do you feel about my take on this game? Am I exaggerating?

I think you are a careful observer, as always, meister. Legitimate points for debate, for sure.
Like Reply
In some respects, we were lucky to win this game and owe a lot of it to Luka hitting the big 3 pointers in the first half.  But a couple of things I have not seen mentioned were Hardaway (3-10 overall and 1-6 from 3) and Maxi (1-5 overall and 3-4 from 3).  As two key scorers in a number of our wins, they were cold last night.  

The biggest thing that I hope that Luka learns from this game is that he needs to move the ball more quickly early in the double-teams.  If he doesn't, expect more of the same, especially in the playoffs.  

I also think that we should have at minimum, a brief Boban sighting each game (especially as long as WCS is unavailable), not only to give KP some key rest, but it also disrupts the defensive strategy of the other team.  It was also interesting to see Powell get zero playing time against an athletic team.

There is zero question that Luka is a once a generation player and the hope is that he will not play too much hero ball, especially as teams double team him.  His turnovers per game need to come down.  The good news is that the same draft added the very mature for his age, Jalen Brunson.  We would not have won the game without Jalen.
Like Reply
(04-01-2021, 08:07 AM)omahen Wrote: That is a problem if you are taking long possessions. First Luka dribling the ball for 15 seconds to steal time - I am pretty sure that was coaching decision. Than you have 10 seconds or so to finish the offense - at that point the opponent sends the double team and once you pass the ball the remaining guys only have a couple of seconds to do something.

It seemed to me that they started trying to run out the clock pretty early. While I get the theory, in practice, that course of action has its own risks.
Like Reply