Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 127, Thunder 106
MAVS SCHOOL THUNDERKIDS IN LOUD CITY

This game had a “cruising-down-the-river-on-a-Sunday-afternoon” feel against a bunch of fresh-faced Thunders who looked like they might be coming in straight from Prom Weekend. One might make some nitpicks about the first half, and the second quarter in particular, but your boys turned on the juice in the second twenty-four and made short work of the contest. 

NOTABLE ITEMS

STATS.  The Mavericks had 16 triples, which never hurts a bit, and also had 58 PIP. They had a 15-shot-attempt advantage, and shot 18 more 3PAs than the opponent. Coach Boucek counseled that they were fouling a little too much, and indeed, OKC had a staggering 33-13 differential in FTAs. Dallas moved the ball well, achieving a 30-17 assist edge over the Thunder, and gained 24 points off Thunder turnovers.

PORZINGIS. KP had a lovely all-around game, treating us to a display of his panoply of skills. His stat sheet did not go empty, as he posted 20 points, 9-15 shooting, 9 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks, and a steal.  He was awarded the Defensive Player of the Game belt for limiting Moses Brown on the boards and doing a “nice job around the rim.” He drew especial kudos for playing within the flow of the game, and not forcing things. Love seeing the big guy play like this!

DONCIC. Luka is the engine that makes this team go, and he made a welcome return, with 25 points and 7 assists in 28 minutes. He could have scored much more, but appeared to be making a concerted effort to get his teammates involved. Great team leadership!

THJ. Hardaway has really stepped up his game of late, and tonight was a continuation of that pattern. He was the classic spark plug off the bench, firing in 19 points in 21 minutes on 6-10 shooting, with a team-high 5 FTAs. He has a flashy style (in a good way), and his array of scoring abilities were in evidence and provided excitement and entertainment for the fans. Keep it up, Tim!

MELLI. New Mav Nicolo Melli looked really good in his Dallas debut. He had 6 points, 3 rebounds, and a steal in 11 minutes of action. Boucek and Carlisle both lauded him for high activity, moving the ball, playing in the team style, and making great plays. Carlisle said he was “very impressed “with Melli’s performance and thinks he is “obviously ready to play.” High praise from the coach! 

Luka was familiar with Nicolo from Europe and described him as an “amazing player” and “great person.” There was a tender moment between the two when Luka had a good look late in the third, but instead passed to Melli, who took and made his first Maverick shot, causing Luka to throw his arms up and cheer. Rick also drew up an ATO play for Melli in the fourth, which was a compliment in and of itself. 

HONORABLE MENTIONS. Rick thought DFS was the “other” Player of the Game (in addition to the Defensive Player of the Game KP). Doe was his usual steady self defensively, but also showed some offensive chops with 12 points on 5-8 shooting, including a couple of threes. Brunson continued his excellent run of play, and added 9 points and 7 assists off the bench.

RARE APPEARANCES. Fans who have been pining to see the rookies were treated to a 16-minute outing by Josh Green. Rick commended the youngster for steady improvement over the season, activity, defense, and rebounding and crashing. He described Josh as a “low-mistake, high-energy guy,” and we know that is the way Coach likes them. Hinton and Bey each got a few minutes at the end. Bobi was on for the last five minutes, and took a few turns at orchestrating. It was pretty hilarious seeing him calmly dribble while surveying the court and pointing to his teammates to direct them where he wanted. I don’t know what it is about big guys, but they just seem to have a hankering to play like guards every now and again, lol. No harm done. 

THUNDER.  I could not have told you more than a couple of the active roster’s names coming into the game. The OKC Tank Operation is in full swing, and although their guys played hard, I don’t think the organization will be too upset with the loss. We got a chance to check in with former Mav Isaiah Roby, who acquitted himself well with 12 points and 9 rebounds in a starting role. 

OBSERVATIONS

It was decent of Luka and KP to show up for the match. Without them on the court, particularly Luka, this cohesive collection of players collapses into a bunch of parts. With Luka, the whole team makes sense. Hope he has recovered from his illness, and it was a good feeling to see him out there managing so well. Both stars were able to keep their minutes under 30, which should be a good thing with this intense schedule. 

This was a relaxed, relatively drama-free contest against a “carefree team,” to use Coach Jenny’s words. I don’t think there is much to learn from it, but at least they didn’t have to undergo another desperate struggle. The score represented the squad’s third-highest point differential of the season, at 21, and the team did a pretty good job of taking care of business. 

Wednesday, on the third game of the roadie, the Mavs face the Celtics, who should present more of a challenge. 
Like Reply
This was KP’s best all around game of the season, imo, and DEFINITELY the best of Josh Green’s outings. 

Melli looked like a skilled, experienced 30 year old out there. Sometimes, I think we forget how NONE of the Mavs’ top 7 are actually in their prime yet. IMO, that’s what Kleber and DFS are going to look like in 2-3 years. 

It feels like maybe the Mavs have potentially picked up their 8th and 9th rotation players at the deadline, and if that’s true I just don’t know how anyone could be against that trade. This team has a chance to get out of the first round, given the right matchup and given that they’re hitting on all cylinders at the right time.
Like Reply
(03-29-2021, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: This was KP’s best all around game of the season, imo, and DEFINITELY the best of Josh Green’s outings. 

Melli looked like a skilled, experienced 30 year old out there. Sometimes, I think we forget how NONE of the Mavs’ top 7 are actually in their prime yet. IMO, that’s what Kleber and DFS are going to look like in 2-3 years. 

It feels like maybe the Mavs have potentially picked up their 8th and 9th rotation players at the deadline, and if that’s true I just don’t know how anyone could be against that trade. This team has a chance to get out of the first round, given the right matchup and given that they’re hitting on all cylinders at the right time.

I don't disagree, but will reserve judgment until...
1). I've seen a few more games from Melli (liked what I saw tonight)
And
B). I actually see JJ Redick show up, play and do well.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Round of applause for Carlisle. He found 16 minutes for one rookie, against a team full of rookies, 2nd year players, two way contracts, G-Leaguers and 10 day contracts, who probably had less than 50 NBA games experience combined before this season.Great coach, great victory. The BS is strong in this recap. Shy
Like Reply
Nice (and very early) recap, mavluvr. Thank you.

One question, not to nitpick or criticize, just honestly curious: Did you miss a couple of recaps lately due to other obligations or didn't you think there was something to take away from those games? I would udnerstand if you worked on your Slovenian lately (haha jk).

I think the big take away ist what you wrote in the last segment: This team makes sense with Luka involved, otherwise it's a weird assembly of scattered pieces.

I like how more natural KP "feels" lately, I think you can tell that his footwork and overall mobility has improved. I did not check the numbers, but I would bet we improved also defensivley with him on the court. Offensively he has looked great, like you mentioned. Him and Luka even had one or two sequences of a good-looking two-man-game. I would LOVE to see more of that (JET and Dirk-style). If KP stays healthy and continues this progress, he'll be in great shape come playoff-time. I think health will be the issue with him for the remainde rof his career. It looks like there's no damage to his body but every next injury could change that, so I am caucious here.

On a side note: Did anyone else get the impression that KP tried really hard in the game without Luka? I hope I am biased but to me, it did not feel like trying in a good way. More like "I'm gonna show you what's what when I am option number one..." but this could just be me reading negatively into it. Since their chemistry looks improved I hope I was mistaken.

Also another chance to apologize to THJ - he's just been a perfect 6th man for us. JRich on the other hand has been a huge disappintment and I am ashamed to admit I called him our third best player early in the season. I even think kamm is spot on by saying he gives you the impression of playing good defense by flailing his arms... I watched him closely the last couple of games and I don't see anything special on D. His O is average at best - nice midrange game but his shooting motion with that weird side rotation is just too messed up to let the 3 fall in a consistent basis IMHO.

But I am optimistic going forward. Sure the last two games hurt but scratch our problems with injuries and/or covid and we'd be right where we want to be.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 01:02 AM)TXBamanut Wrote: I don't disagree, but will reserve judgment until...
1). I've seen a few more games from Melli (liked what I saw tonight)
And
B). I actually see JJ Redick show up, play and do well.

Quite right. Too early to tell if Melli can do this consistently, but tonight’s game, his first, was probably better than anything James Johnson gave the team all season long. 

If Redick is healthy, I’m sure he’ll play well (for a 37 year old). Not worried about that a bit.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 03:01 AM)meistermatze Wrote: On a side note: Did anyone else get the impression that KP tried really hard in the game without Luka? I hope I am biased but to me, it did not feel like trying in a good way. More like "I'm gonna show you what's what when I am option number one..." but this could just be me reading negatively into it. Since their chemistry looks improved I hope I was mistaken.

I had similar thoughts but concluded it could also be him trying to put the team on his shoulders in Lukas absence and decided to stick to that interpretation.
Like Reply
(03-29-2021, 10:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: We got a chance to check in with former Mav Isaiah Roby, who acquitted himself well with 12 points and 9 rebounds in a starting role.
(03-29-2021, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: [...] and DEFINITELY the best of Josh Green’s outings.

While watching the game I actually thought about coming here and leaving a smart comment about Roby looking like the best Mavs rookie on the floor Wink. Green may have ruined that a bit. Still not sure what to think of him (considered there seem to be some picks which have been available to the Mavs and are really contributing on their teams). On the one hand Green looks really smooth to me on a lot of different things and could have a relatively broad skillset if he ever gets more confidence/experience/game slows down form him/whatever. On the other hand, he doesn't contribute very much overall and the nice glimpses don't connect to acutally making a continued positive impact.

For now, his game is somehow like beautiful lines in an overall unconvincing poem if that makes any sense. But there's hope he can learn to connect the beautiful lines, leave the rest out and than he could be a surprisingly good player. Maybe Smile.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 04:50 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: I had similar thoughts but concluded it could also be him trying to put the team on his shoulders in Lukas absence and decided to stick to that interpretation.

Guess that's the positive take and we will sleep much better thinking like this.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 03:01 AM)meistermatze Wrote: I like how more natural KP "feels" lately, I think you can tell that his footwork and overall mobility has improved. I did not check the numbers, but I would bet we improved also defensivley with him on the court. Offensively he has looked great, like you mentioned. Him and Luka even had one or two sequences of a good-looking two-man-game. I would LOVE to see more of that (JET and Dirk-style). If KP stays healthy and continues this progress, he'll be in great shape come playoff-time. I think health will be the issue with him for the remainde rof his career. It looks like there's no damage to his body but every next injury could change that, so I am caucious here.

On a side note: Did anyone else get the impression that KP tried really hard in the game without Luka? I hope I am biased but to me, it did not feel like trying in a good way. More like "I'm gonna show you what's what when I am option number one..." but this could just be me reading negatively into it. Since their chemistry looks improved I hope I was mistaken.

Also another chance to apologize to THJ - he's just been a perfect 6th man for us. JRich on the other hand has been a huge disappintment and I am ashamed to admit I called him our third best player early in the season. I even think kamm is spot on by saying he gives you the impression of playing good defense by flailing his arms... I watched him closely the last couple of games and I don't see anything special on D.

Great thoughts, very much agree on all accounts.
Like Reply
Man, if “low-mistake, high-energy” gets him the time on the court he’s getting (esp with high-mistake, lower-energy vets getting more time), I’m not sure why people defend RC on not playing rookies exists.
Like Reply
I really liked the first look of Melli last night.  Time will tell if he is an every game rotation player or a spot duty guy.  But the Mavs need help at the PF spot and what Melli provided last night is exactly what they need as a guy off the bench.

He looked really comfortable out there.  He set good screens.  He moved the ball well.  He was active on the boards.  He looked to play good team defense in my quick glance.   Just looked to be a smart IQ player. He provides something our other bigs can't really do.  We will see if that translates into a every game role, but last night was definitely a good start.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 05:08 AM)Jannemann2 Wrote: While watching the game I actually thought about coming here and leaving a smart comment about Roby looking like the best Mavs rookie on the floor Wink

Side note: J. Jackson can't even get minutes in this young Thunder squad.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 08:01 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Side note: J. Jackson can't even get minutes in this young Thunder squad.
They should propose a trade with Sac for Harrison Barnes!!!
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 08:01 AM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Side note: J. Jackson can't even get minutes in this young Thunder squad.

Obviously. He is too old Smile
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 08:03 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: They should propose a trade with Sac for Harrison Barnes!!!

If SAC were tanking and in need of cap space to pursue someone in a great FA class to pair with their young star, I'd be all over that.
Like Reply
(03-29-2021, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Melli looked like a skilled, experienced 30 year old out there. Sometimes, I think we forget how NONE of the Mavs’ top 7 are actually in their prime yet. IMO, that’s what Kleber and DFS are going to look like in 2-3 years. 

I mean .. Maxi is just a year younger than Melli.

(03-30-2021, 07:39 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: He looked really comfortable out there.  He set good screens.  

One thing I notice when I watch Euro league games is they set much harder and violent screens than I typically see in the NBA, which goes completely counter to the stereotypes.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 09:06 AM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: I mean .. Maxi is just a year younger than Melli.
Ya, our guys aren't young anymore, we keep thinking of them as young potential guys. This is who they are, shooting % can get better, but the longer they age, the more athleticism they lose, so the shooting better get better.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 03:01 AM)meistermatze Wrote: One question, not to nitpick or criticize, just honestly curious: Did you miss a couple of recaps lately due to other obligations or didn't you think there was something to take away from those games? I would udnerstand if you worked on your Slovenian lately (haha jk).
Sorry about the missed recaps, meister, didn't have anything to do with the games. I had a medical issue arise that knocked me sideways for a few days. I wanted to write the recaps, but just wasn't able to. Should be good to go now.
Like Reply
(03-30-2021, 09:38 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Sorry about the missed recaps, meister, didn't have anything to do with the games. I had a medical issue arise that knocked me sideways for a few days. I wanted to write the recaps, but just wasn't able to. Should be good to go now.

You looked fine on TV, just saying Smile

Hope you feel better.
Like Reply