Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 115, Spurs 104
MAVS SALVAGE WIN WITH LATE PUSH
STARS SHINE ON RETURN FROM ASB

Luka and KP put together a good one-two effort, and the Mavs had an encouraging fourth-quarter showing to put away the Spurs. 

NOTABLE ITEMS

PERSONNEL. Before the game, Pop revealed that LaMarcus Aldridge was not with the team, and will no longer feature for the Spurs, due to looking for other opportunities in the league. The Mavs were at full strength. 

GAME FLOW.  Dallas looked a little rusty coming out, and went behind 27-32 after one, as the Spurs put up six threes and the Mavs faffed around in a turnover-fest. The second quarter didn’t go much better, and the home team Mavericks trailed 52-59 at the break. Both teams had runs in the third, and your boys entered the fourth quarter with an 87-86 edge. Fortunately, the guys avoided their usual late breakdowns and instead put their collective foot on the Spurs’ neck for the victory. The Spurs had only 18 points in the final frame, and had a period between 8:23 and 0:53 where their only scores were six free throws. 

NUMBERS. Although the Mavs didn’t shoot particularly well (13-40 3PTAs), and neither team got to the line very much, the hosts were a blistering 30-43 (70%) inside the arc and had 46 PIP. Our team rebounded well, winning the battle of the boards 51-30, and they posted 13 offensive rebounds and 15 second-chance points. On the other side of the fence, they lost 15 points to turnovers, and gave up 15 fast-break points to the Spurs. At the end of the day, the Mavs were the better team in the closing quarter. 

DONCIC.  Luka had his eighth triple-double of the season, with 22 points, 11 rebounds, and 12 assists. Although he was only 2-10 from distance and had an insanely low 3 free-throw attempts, he scored well in the paint, and did a masterful job of controlling the game. He did have a hiccup in the second quarter, when he had an amazing shot which was nullified when the refs assessed him with an offensive foul. He shared his outrage with the officials, which resulted in a technical foul and a spell on the bench to collect himself, but, to his credit, he left it behind on re-entering the game. The Spurs were coming at him with multiple defenders almost every possession, and he put on a clinic in adapting to the circumstances. Just another night in the stratosphere for the All-Star. 

PORZINGIS.  KP had a tremendous offensive game, especially considering his recent struggles, and hopefully this will serve as a foundational performance to build on. He had his second-best score of the season with 28 points, along with a season-high 14 rebounds. The team looked like they were making a concerted effort to get Kris opportunities, and he took due advantage. 

Rick gushed over him for a while, praising his shotmaking, rebounding, defense, passing, cutting, moving, and on and on. He thinks Kris is doing a good job adapting to teams guarding him with smaller players and making the defense pay a price. Physically, Rick says Porzee is still not quite where he needs to be. Although Kris is working very hard to get there, some things just take time. But anyway, Rick clearly wanted both the audience and KP to be aware that Rick was pleased with him. I personally didn’t have the benefit of all the backstory prompting that, but I thought Zinger put on a very versatile and polished offensive performance, appeared active and engaged, and battled on the glass. Luka assured us after the game that KP is going to play “way better.”  Truth from the mouths of babes? We hope so. 

OTHERS. The role players did their parts, with none putting on a bad or good enough show to merit special mention. They collectively did what they needed to do, especially late in the game. Josh, Maxi, and Willie had 12, 11, and 10 points, respectively. Willie did find himself in a contretemps in the fourth when his push resulted in a collision of two Spurs, and he was, after a l-e-n-g-t-h-y review, assessed a Flagrant One, sending Derrick White to the line. Fortunately, no one was hurt. 

SPURS. The Spurs have experience this season being rattled around by the Universe, as do the Mavs, but they always come back looking as good as can be expected, and this match was no exception. DeRozan was particularly excellent, torching the Mavs with 30 points and 11 assists. The Spurs had 6 guys in double figures, showing their balanced play. Is De Rozan’s contract up this summer? He strikes me as the very epitome of a Rick Carlisle-type player. But I digress. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick thought the game was a tale of two halves. The first half, his players were disjointed, distracted, and out of rhythm. At halftime, they regathered, and focused on ball security and defense. He was very proud of the adjustments they were able to make in the last 24. 

The game was pretty much what you would expect if you pushed a button called Random Game Played On Return From a Long Break. There was a lot of messy stuff, like airballs, miscues, communication problems, and areas of imprecision. Yet, particularly in the second half, after much of that had flown off the fan, you could see the value of the week of rest, with fresher legs and sharper brains imposing themselves in positive ways.

I thought that the strongest takeaway from this game, apart from the obvious joy from the win, was the greatly improved synergy between Luka and KP. They were really clicking out there for a while. If they can keep that up, it will mean great things for the team. The other main takeaway is the team performance when the pressure went up in the fourth. Not only were we not forced to witness a collapse, but we were treated to the band performing like a team that knows how to win, extending their lead rather than losing it. If these two developments are real, that’s BIG, I’m telling you. 

The Mavs are now 19-16, still in eighth place, half a game ahead of Memphis, and percentage points behind San Antonio. We have to make this stretch of games count, and this is a great start. 

Mavs fans, OKC and the Thunder await!
Like Reply
Contretemps?  Nice!

Maxi might deserve special attention.  11/7 isn't flashy, but he hit half his 3's and he was in the game for every run the Mav's made last night.  One of the holes in this roster is what to do with the non-Maxi minutes.
Like Reply
I thought that Flagrant call on WCS was a disgrace. For one the push didn’t even look that hard, and beyond that, if they want to call the Flagrant I would think it should have been Poeltl shooting since that’s who WCS actually had contact with.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 07:43 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Contretemps?  Nice!

Maxi might deserve special attention.  11/7 isn't flashy, but he hit half his 3's and he was in the game for every run the Mav's made last night.  One of the holes in this roster is what to do with the non-Maxi minutes.

I agree.  I was surprised to see a early James Johnson appearance.

Do you view Maxi as a starter or does it not matter to you as much as who you can use the rest of the PF minutes with and who else surrounds the starting 5?  Personally, I view Maxi as a heavy bench player who may finish a lot of games.   Finding that player who compliments both Maxi and KP is a little tricky.  If found, that would really help this roster.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 07:59 AM)DrMav Wrote: I thought that Flagrant call on WCS was a disgrace. For one the push didn’t even look that hard, and beyond that, if they want to call the Flagrant I would think it should have been Poeltl shooting since that’s who WCS actually had contact with.

I thought it was an obvious flagrant foul. Maybe even flagrant 2. The push wasn´t hard but Poeltl had no chance to avoid White. White had no chance to protect himself. There are a lot of soft calls but plays like this where a player is getting fouled hard in mid-air are just dangerous.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 08:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree.  I was surprised to see a early James Johnson appearance.

Do you view Maxi as a starter or does it not matter to you as much as who you can use the rest of the PF minutes with and who else surrounds the starting 5?  Personally, I view Maxi as a heavy bench player who may finish a lot of games.   Finding that player who compliments both Maxi and KP is a little tricky.  If found, that would really help this roster.

It depends.  Could Maxi be the 5th starter?  Sure, the team does great when he's on the floor.  But, if you do that, then DFS and/or JRich have to be improved upon.  Could he be fantastic as a heavy minutes backup?  We've already seen that work.  

As you point out, it is really hard to find that starting 4 that fits what we need next to KP and pushes Maxi to the bench.  It might be easier (and more impactful to positive lineup data) to improve upon what we get from JRich.
Like Reply
Back on topic. The coaches are still trying to figure out the defense. In the first half the Mavs tried to hide KP with the pre switch scheme that worked against the Nets. Mavs also played some zone defense. This time it was a disaster. Spurs used the entire shot clock and hunted for the mismatch. Most of the time a bigger wing vs THJ/Brunson or a more athletic wing/guard vs KP.
Halftime. Down 7. Spurs are shooting 54.8% FG, 47.1% from 3. KP -11 in 17 minutes.

In the 2nd half the Mavs made some adjustments and went back to a more traditional hedge/drop scheme and it worked. DeRozan torched the Mavs with his pull up game but the rest of the team wasn´t getting any easy scoring opportunities.
Spurs only scored 45 points in the 2nd half. Shooting 36.6% FG, 36.4% from 3. KP was +19 in 17 minutes.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 08:13 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I thought it was an obvious flagrant foul. Maybe even flagrant 2. The push wasn´t hard but Poeltl had no chance to avoid White. White had no chance to protect himself. There are a lot of soft calls but plays like this where a player is getting fouled hard in mid-air are just dangerous.

Disagree unless you think that somehow WCS had the intention of using Poeltl to take White out. If WCS had simply had a little shove on Poeltl without the subsequent collision happening it may have not even been called a common foul.

Was it a scary play that could have turned out poorly? Absolutely and thank God it didn’t. That doesn’t make it a flagrant though, just bad timing on two guys fighting for position and one getting jostled into the wrong spot at the wrong time. 

And even if you want to call it saying that the contact there was excessive and unnecessary, I’m still not sure how White is the one taking the FTs since Willie didn’t even touch him.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 08:34 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Back on topic. The coaches are still trying to figure out the defense. In the first half the Mavs tried to hide KP with the pre switch scheme that worked against the Nets. Mavs also played some zone defense. This time it was a disaster. Spurs used the entire shot clock and hunted for the mismatch. Most of the time a bigger wing vs THJ/Brunson or a more athletic wing/guard vs KP.
Halftime. Down 7. Spurs are shooting 54.8% FG, 47.1% from 3. KP -11 in 17 minutes.

In the 2nd half the Mavs made some adjustments and went back to a more traditional hedge/drop scheme and it worked. DeRozan torched the Mavs with his pull up game but the rest of the team wasn´t getting any easy scoring opportunities.
Spurs only scored 45 points in the 2nd half. Shooting 36.6% FG, 36.4% from 3. KP was +19 in 17 minutes.

I tip my hat, that is a great observation.
Like Reply
Game of the year so far for KP. Finally stopped jacking up 3’s all game and actually played smart offensive ball. This is the playing off of Luka we’ve all been clamoring for since he arrived. 

Defensively he showed a real effort we don’t see every game. The second effort rebounds and second effort tips are so clutch to us winning games. This effort should be there every game even if he’s missing his shots. 

This is a different KP. There has obviously been frustration from him behind the scenes. My new theory is we shopped KP and got a bunch of trash offers. MBT told KP, “this is how little the league thinks of you.......we will not trade you for spare parts so you better tough it out and make it work......if you still want out this summer then we will make it happen then......until then you must put it all behind you and show us what you got”
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 07:43 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Contretemps?  Nice!

Heart

Yes, I was on the fence about whether to single Maxi out, and certainly have no argument with it. 

Very solid game on both ends.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 08:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I agree.  I was surprised to see a early James Johnson appearance.

Yeah, Johnson came on when DFS was called for his second foul with 5 minutes left in the first quarter. I had the impression that Carlisle sent Johnson to fill in for a few minutes, so he could keep his rotation the same otherwise.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 11:34 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yeah, Johnson came on when DFS was called for his second foul with 5 minutes left in the first quarter. I had the impression that Carlisle sent Johnson to fill in for a few minutes, so he could keep his rotation the same otherwise.

Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks.  Johnson is a wild ride man.  Comes in an immediately over dribbles and makes a turnover.   Only to come back the next possession (over dribble again??? can't remember) and get a three point play.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 11:39 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks.  Johnson is a wild ride man.  Comes in an immediately over dribbles and makes a turnover.   Only to come back the next possession (over dribble again??? can't remember) and get a three point play.

Yeah, he's capable of doing good things, but you just never know what you're going to get from one play to the next.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 11:50 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Yeah, he's capable of doing good things, but you just never know what you're going to get from one play to the next.

Do you mean...  kind of like a box of chocolates??!! Big Grin
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 12:10 PM)mtrot Wrote: Do you mean...  kind of like a box of chocolates??!! Big Grin

LOL.  Sweet!
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 08:52 AM)DrMav Wrote: Disagree unless you think that somehow WCS had the intention of using Poeltl to take White out. If WCS had simply had a little shove on Poeltl without the subsequent collision happening it may have not even been called a common foul.
It was a weird play. I have watched the replay a number of times. 

I think you may be right, and at the same time, it doesn't surprise me that a flagrant was called. 

As you know, the referees have discretion to take the actual outcome of the play into account in determining whether a foul is flagrant and at what level. In this case, although the shove wasn't that hard, it was intentional, not a basketball play, and resulted in a collision in which someone could have gotten hurt. So, all the factors were there to justify a call by the officials. 

If White had actually been hurt, I think Willie might have been ejected.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 12:57 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: It was a weird play. I have watched the replay a number of times. 

I think you may be right, and at the same time, it doesn't surprise me that a flagrant was called. 

As you know, the referees have discretion to take the actual outcome of the play into account in determining whether a foul is flagrant and at what level. In this case, although the shove wasn't that hard, it was intentional, not a basketball play, and resulted in a collision in which someone could have gotten hurt. So, all the factors were there to justify a call by the officials. 

If White had actually been hurt, I think Willie might have been ejected.

What about the fact that White got the FTs instead of Poeltl?
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 02:43 PM)embellisher Wrote: What about the fact that White got the FTs instead of Poeltl?

You got me on that one.

I did study it from multiple angles. On the TV screen, it looked like he shoved Poeltl. There is another angle where it looks like he pushed White in mid-air. All I can think of is that they thought that is what happened. But I really don't know.
Like Reply