Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 2.0 pt RAPTOR & 1.5 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
76.92%
10 76.92%
Thunder
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 36: DAL (19-17) @ OKC (16-21) | 108-115 loss
Powell and Johnson into the rotation. Luka and KP out.  A predictable disaster. Powell and Johnson are really, really bad now.  Not NBA roster worthy, unfortunately.
Like Reply
Got the moral victory by keeping it close at the end. JRich showed some overall offensive skills, maybe that sparks him or else he will just go back to launching and bricking threes in the normal offense with Luka and KP.
Like Reply
Luka and KP are supposed to be bad defensively. So someone, who doesn't watch basketball a lot would think that without them, Mavs might struggle a bit offensively yet put on a defensive clinic. Turns out, Mavs were outhustled by OKC and defense was sad. Embarassing performance. As many others I also don't understand why Mavs decided to lose this one just before a very tough stretch. Unless they win at least 3 of their next 5, they will have a hard time explaining it.

We thought Mavs have a deep team yet it turns out again what a huge gap they have after the top 7 rotation. Brunson, JRich and THJ did their stuff offensively, but the rest are basically a no show on offense. Kleber can hit an open three, which basically sums up his offensive repertoir. DFS is like Kleber with the difference that he can't really hit an open three. The rest are a no show. Center line a disaster again. I don't recall a single PnR action.
Like Reply
I just don't get it

We weren't REALLY trying to win so why didn't we give the rookies 10-12 minutes of burn? Its confusing

Carlisle has tunnel vision sometimes
Like Reply
I'm not sure why they are scared to play Bey. With Green, he is obviously only going to get scrap minutes behind THJ/JRich/whoever is playing SG out of Burke and Brunson. But Bey should be given chances over James Johnson and I'd even be willing to try him at center over WCS in a small ball lineup.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 12:11 AM)omahen Wrote: We thought Mavs have a deep team...

I've been off this train for a while.  I'm sticking with my overly harsh statement that 50% of the team probably shouldn't be in the league or part of any rotation.

Powell, WCS, Boban, Iwundu, Burke, Johnson + rookies (long NBA careers for their draft positions is fairly low combined with the fact that Donnie is in the bottom three in terms of draft success along with Sacramento and Orlando).
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 12:30 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: I'm not sure why they are scared to play Bey. With Green, he is obviously only going to get scrap minutes behind THJ/JRich/whoever is playing SG out of Burke and Brunson. But Bey should be given chances over James Johnson and I'd even be willing to try him at center over WCS in a small ball lineup.
This. There’s 5 guys ahead of Green and Terry at the guard position. Both of them are years away. I’m fine with that, but they better be decent because they’re worthless trade pieces now. 

Bey though, is a guy who could inject some energy instantly at a position we are light at. Just throw him out there. Johnson just has not put it all together and Powell needs to sit till he is healed because he is garbage too. 

Should’ve traded the picks. Besides i believe our best skill seems to be finding undrafted rookies(DFS, Maxi)
Like Reply
OMG. Couldn't watch. Any news regarding KP's and LD's injuries, rest or something more serious?
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 12:57 AM)LukTheShadow Wrote: OMG. Couldn't watch. Any news regarding KP's and LD's injuries, rest or something more serious?

I'm guessing nothing serious.  We saw Luka tweak his ankle last night and he played through it.  KP is probably just being precautionary and not wanting to play him in back-to-backs.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 12:36 AM)cow Wrote: I've been off this train for a while.  I'm sticking with my overly harsh statement that 50% of the team probably shouldn't be in the league or part of any rotation.

Powell, WCS, Boban, Iwundu, Burke, Johnson + rookies (long NBA careers forfor their draft positions is fairly low combined with the fact that Donnie is in the bottom three in terms of draft success along with Sacramento and Orlando).

I understand the skill level is lower. But I would expect that in this kind of games, when some guys finally get their chance, they would hustle and try to show the coach they deserve more minutes. But there was no heart, no fight in them. They were outhustled by guys like Pokusevski and Brown, who are clearly not NBA ready as far as overall skill level goes. But they hustle! This is the thing I am basically writing since bubble - this team lacks heart, winning mentality. They are sympatic loosers. Capable of playing nice games but when things really matter, they balk down. In the bubble, they came with the goal to move up in the standings and avoid Clippers. They failed miserably winning just three out of eight, with one of them being against Utah who did everything possible to lose the game. Than Mavs put a couple of nice performances against Clippers when nobody expected them to win and of course lose the series (which is what really mattered). 

Kleber, Johnson, WCS and Powell collectively gathered 12 rebounds in 74 combined minutes. Moses Brown had 12 in 19 minutes, Poku 8 in 29 minutes and Horford 9 in 27 minutes. Our 4 guys mentioned shot a combined 1-8 for 2 points! Moses Brown was 3 of 8! And it is not just their fault. Outside of Doncic there doesn't seem to be anyone able to get two defenders on him and pass to an open teammate. Our guards Brunson, JRich and THJ are able to beat their man quite well, but don't really make plays for others. I guess most of the assists were counted on semi contested three pointers. I don't remember any pick and roll action.

Hustle and heart are things that are usually cheap to find, if you are not looking for much other qualities. I am just not sure if the problem is in the Mavs system and culture or in players.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 02:26 AM)omahen Wrote: I understand the skill level is lower. But I would expect that in this kind of games, when some guys finally get their chance, they would hustle and try to show the coach they deserve more minutes. But there was no heart, no fight in them. They were outhustled by guys like Pokusevski and Brown, who are clearly not NBA ready as far as overall skill level goes. But they hustle! This is the thing I am basically writing since bubble - this team lacks heart, winning mentality. They are sympatic loosers. Capable of playing nice games but when things really matter, they balk down. In the bubble, they came with the goal to move up in the standings and avoid Clippers. They failed miserably winning just three out of eight, with one of them being against Utah who did everything possible to lose the game. Than Mavs put a couple of nice performances against Clippers when nobody expected them to win and of course lose the series (which is what really mattered). 

Kleber, Johnson, WCS and Powell collectively gathered 12 rebounds in 74 combined minutes. Moses Brown had 12 in 19 minutes, Poku 8 in 29 minutes and Horford 9 in 27 minutes. Our 4 guys mentioned shot a combined 1-8 for 2 points! Moses Brown was 3 of 8! And it is not just their fault. Outside of Doncic there doesn't seem to be anyone able to get two defenders on him and pass to an open teammate. Our guards Brunson, JRich and THJ are able to beat their man quite well, but don't really make plays for others. I guess most of the assists were counted on semi contested three pointers. I don't remember any pick and roll action.

Hustle and heart are things that are usually cheap to find, if you are not looking for much other qualities. I am just not sure if the problem is in the Mavs system and culture or in players.

Rebounding is driving me crazy.  Being a great defensive team doesn't matter if you don't secure the board.  And considering that we aren't a great defensive team, the problem is compounded.  OKC was +18 tonight on the boards.  THJ was our second leading rebounder behind DFS.

And speaking of THJ, and as bad as he's looked the last 6 or so games, he does hustle.

I'm just not sure the team has a lot of starting caliber talent outside of Luka, KP and maybe JRich.  We are probably asking too much or expecting too much out of the likes of Maxi, DFS and Jalen.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 02:49 AM)cow Wrote: And speaking of THJ, and as bad as he's looked the last 6 or so games, he does hustle.

I agree about THJ, he does hustle. I would actually expect more from DFS and Kleber in that department. Based on how limited they are offensively, their hustle would have to be on the Smart level to be able to be legit starters. Powell is the closest to being a player that brings positive energy and hustle that infects others. Of course he is so limited after his injury, that he can be played only next to four great offensive players. I don't think DFS and Kleber bring that kind of energy. 

But of course, Kleber and DFS basically provided what they provide every night. They didn't provide more neither. It was "the next man up" that was a problem. And is a problem for the whole season. The whole "next man up" mostly play like crap and we don't give chance to rookies to become the next man up, even living through a couple of stupid rookie mistakes like Green had today.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 03:12 AM)omahen Wrote: I agree about THJ, he does hustle. I would actually expect more from DFS and Kleber in that department. Based on how limited they are offensively, their hustle would have to be on the Smart level to be able to be legit starters. Powell is the closest to being a player that brings positive energy and hustle that infects others. Of course he is so limited after his injury, that he can be played only next to four great offensive players. I don't think DFS and Kleber bring that kind of energy. 

But of course, Kleber and DFS basically provided what they provide every night. They didn't provide more neither. It was "the next man up" that was a problem. And is a problem for the whole season. The whole "next man up" mostly play like crap and we don't give chance to rookies to become the next man up, even living through a couple of stupid rookie mistakes like Green had today.

I just think with Maxi and especially DFS of late, we have them one rung up the ladder from where they should be playing.   Maxi's turned into a great three point shooter and he's a very versatile defender but I wouldn't say he's a great defender.  Offensively, he doesn't do a lot besides hit those threes.  DFS did grab 8 boards today so that probably shows some hustle.  He's a decent defender but his shot has been busted for 6 or so games.  He makes smart cuts late on other players drives but that's really the extent of his offensive game.  They should both be rotational guys and probably not starters.  

I'm all for letting Green and Bey show some hustle.  Of course they got a combined 2 minutes of play tonight.
Like Reply
Fully agree with Mavs2021, Kamm, Omahen & others re the rookie stuff. It’s baffling that they barely ever play. OKC started Maledon and Poku tonight and still got the W. It’s the same ole with Carlisle when it comes to deciding who he freezes out of the rotation and who regularly gets opportunities to prove themselves even after looking miserable before.

Meh. Can’t even say I was surprised. I don’t expect any of Bey/Green/Terry to be part of the team in the future. Maybe not even until next season‘s TDL.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 02:26 AM)omahen Wrote: Hustle and heart are things that are usually cheap to find, if you are not looking for much other qualities. I am just not sure if the problem is in the Mavs system and culture or in players.

THIS. 

I am personally done blaming the players. I may be dead wrong and I may change my mind in a couple months, but I am firmly in the "RC needs to the take the blame at this point" camp. Something has to change to inject something into this team. Sure, they "turned things around" against some pretty crummy competition (to win 11 of 14), but my eyes tell me there is something very wrong with this team whether its culture, in-fighting, coaching, GMing....SOMETHING.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 04:31 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Fully agree with Mavs2021, Kamm, Omahen & others re the rookie stuff. It’s baffling that they barely ever play. OKC started Maledon and Poku tonight and still got the W. It’s the same ole with Carlisle when it comes to deciding who he freezes out of the rotation and who regularly gets opportunities to prove themselves even after looking miserable before.

Meh. Can’t even say I was surprised. I don’t expect any of Bey/Green/Terry to be part of the team in the future. Maybe not even until next season‘s TDL.

They also seem totally incapable of grasping the concept that if they treat rookies like shit, they will get rookies tanking their draft workouts, so they avoid getting picked by the Mavs. Therefore they are always behind other front offices in the draft process. The only time we hit in the last decade were Brunson and Luka. Everybody could evaluate them. This also explains why we do better with undrafted rookies. Now the Mavs have the leverage and you get an honest workout/interview.
Like Reply
(03-11-2021, 06:03 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Maybe the rookies will get some time.

Rrriiight.
Like Reply
I mean, if you have to look at the bright side I would have to say the Mavs could improve their rotation in the offseason without having to overspend that much, because I really don't  think it's going to cost a lot to upgrade over  Burke, WCS/Powell and Johnson's rotation slots.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 08:09 AM)Kammrath Wrote: I am personally done blaming the players. I may be dead wrong and I may change my mind in a couple months, but I am firmly in the "RC needs to the take the blame at this point" camp. Something has to change to inject something into this team. Sure, they "turned things around" against some pretty crummy competition (to win 11 of 14), but my eyes tell me there is something very wrong with this team whether its culture, in-fighting, coaching, GMing....SOMETHING.

I'm not saying I wholeheartedly disagree with this take, and Carlisle and the other coaches deserve some blame, particularly for not being as successful in preparing their team to cope with the unique challenges of this season as some other coaches.

But...I think we're making too much of it. What I see is a YOUNG team that's struggling with identity, routine, chemistry, work ethic...all of the above. I think these issues are compounded by the craziness of this season, but at the end of the day, I think ALL young teams have to go through this type of stuff. 

Think about it: In two seasons, the Mavs have swiftly swept away any and all veterans who were here when Luka was drafted and who might've had opinions about giving the team over to him. This truly is a huge amount of change, and while I believe it to be the right approach, it DID create a situation wherein the team leader is a 21-22 year old KID. A gifted kid, but a kid. The downside to putting only players around him who believe in him and look up to him (KP being the exception, which might explain some of the friction we've speculated about recently) is that they're all prone, imo, to faltering with their confidence, and with the strength of their beliefs on what it takes day-to-day in order to be a good team. 

All of that to say that I very much agree with you that something is wrong. I agree that Carlisle has the responsibility of getting them through this, and it's not a predetermined that he will. I just differ slightly in that I'm NOT as surprised by it. I think we should've even seen this coming, maybe, though I did not. Still, it seems natural to me. They're struggling right now, no question. But, the goal isn't and absolutely shouldn't be this season. It never was for me. I think Luka, and by extension, the core, will have to develop a bit together. It's just how I see it.
Like Reply
A coaching change in Philly and NYK was the right move for those teams - just saying.
Like Reply