Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 2.0 pt RAPTOR & 1.5 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
76.92%
10 76.92%
Thunder
23.08%
3 23.08%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 36: DAL (19-17) @ OKC (16-21) | 108-115 loss
(03-12-2021, 07:34 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So let me ask you this: do you at least recognise the problem with having such a horrible reputation with rookies (and their agents). Regardless of whether Pokusevski will turn into a useful NBA player or not, when that agent has a talent of Giannis-like proportions, with insufficient in-game evaluation material, and he goes to workout for Donnie and Presti: who will get the maximum effort workout and who will get the BS. Imho that's a big reason why the same teams draft well or shitty. Are their scouts just better or do they also have it easier, because they get perfect information on the majority of young talent.

I think it’s a thing that happens. Heard rumors this year of LaMello and Halliburton doing this. But, I have never once heard it suggested by anyone but you that it has happened to Dallas. Not since Kiki VanDeWegh, anyhow, and that was back when this franchise was a jooooooke. 

Luka’s agent, for example, seems to have worked pretty hard to maneuver his client to Dallas. Several prospects this past off season really seemed to want to come here. 

I kind of think this is mostly in your head, although if it’s happening consistently, then sure, I think it’s a problem.
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 10:56 PM)cow Wrote: https://towardsdatascience.com/measuring...f67cfb7718
Thanks for sharing! I found that interesting. The numbers should be better for us the longer that Luka and Brunson play. Our undrafted guys(Maxi, DFS) hurt us and the execs like Riley who have good undrafted talent. Donnie is probably closer to average since that article. Still, there’s much to be desired there.  Now is the time to make the right move
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 10:56 PM)cow Wrote: https://towardsdatascience.com/measuring...f67cfb7718

What are the highlights?
Like Reply
When it comes to the coaching or GM stuff I am always suprised that people forget that RC and Donnie aren´t doing it by themself.
Just looking at the coaching staff.

10/11 (championship): Brad Davis, Casey Smith (now head of health and performance, whatever that means), Darrell Armstrong (still with the team), Dwane Casey (first Raptors , now Pistons head coach), Terry Stotts (Blazers headcoach), Monte Mathis

13/14: Mavs add Caleb Canales
14/15: Mavs add Jamahl Mosley

15/16: Defensive coordinator Monte Mathis leaves, Replaced by Melvin Hunt

18/19: Hunt and Canales replaced by Stephen Silas and Mike Weinar, Mosley takes over the defense

19/20: Mavs add Boucek

20/21: Silas leaves (head coach in Houston), Mavs add Guthrie

Mavs lost a lot of talent. I would argue that they had the best coaching staff in the league when RC arrived in 08/09. Post championship it has been a steady decline of coaching talent next to him. In a way RCs and the Mavs success hurt the team. Three of his former assistants are head coaches. Others will probably get a head coaching opportunity in the next few years (Canales, Mosley). Only head coach with a comparable coaching tree (even bigger) is Pop.
Like Reply
(03-13-2021, 12:48 AM)Kammrath Wrote: What are the highlights?

Lowlights:
  • The worst drafting executives (among those currently active) are Donnie Nelson (Dallas Mavericks), Vlade Divac (Sacramento Kings), and Jeff Weltman (Orlando Magic)
Like Reply
(03-12-2021, 05:52 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Seems like you’re assuming this was a conscious choice, based on some coach-held belief that they could win the game without those guys. I don’t know if I trust that all of the assumptions made there are correct. 

For all we know, Cuban made the call. Or Luka, himself. For all we know Carlisle was just as pissed and surprised as we were. We really just don’t know. 

If Carlsile did make the call, then it seems silly to assume that he did so because he thought OKC would be a pushover. That doesn’t seem consistent with what we know about him. It might have been more of a necessary situation due to actual pain management or the need to prevent further injury. Those situations might very well have trumped the need to win. KP’s situation, in particular, seems like it could be completely out of the coaching staff’s hands. This is a business, and that is like a $200 million plus asset that management is either trying to trade or get across the finish line of the season, somehow.
Since they said the rest day was planned before the ASB, it didn't seem like it was related to a particular urgent situation, although of course that is possible. Dameris and Followill had a discussion of how the planned rest days are decided upon in their podcast Friday. 

Dameris explained that, when the second half schedule was published, a collection of people from various areas would have commented on and come up with a list of the recommended scheduled rest days. The final decision would have been made by upper management, with a large amount of input from the medical/training staff. According to him, there is no way they thought they were conceding the game against OKC. They would have trusted the guys on the court to beat that Thunder team, and in his view, they really should have. 

He thought this particular rest day would have been chosen because they thought they could win the game without KP and Luka, and it was the last day to steal a day off for them for weeks to come. His impression is that the rest days are going to ripple through the roster this season -- a couple guys here, and a different couple of guys there. Carlisle said he doesn't know when the next one is, and he really might not.  For all we know, he could have hated the choice. Or loved it. Or not thought much about it.
Like Reply