Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing all star weekend
So, I’ve given it some thought, and think I’ve come up with an alternative to the usual, boring all star weekend. Strap yourselves in, and see what you think.

First of all, it’s too long. You can scrap the whole weekend thing, and just do it over an evening.

Schedule:

1) rookies vs sophomores

Instead of them playing basketball though, you get them to play a mystery sport that’s different every time and only announced on the day. 

Imagine the fun of seeing the players play miniature golf or dodgeball or mechanical bull riding! It’d be great!

So, the main problems with the all star game are thus:

A) it’s supposed to be a unique event, but it’s played with the same rules as a regular game, I.e. free throws, shot clock violations, etc, and it just doesn’t work.

B) it’s supposed to be a “razzle dazzle” game, which would be fine if it was all the guys like Doncic, Curry, Irving, etc, but it’s not. You get elite, but basically functional players, like Jayson Tatum, who just don’t fit in.

C) it’s half fan event and half recognition of actual basketball achievement, so it needs to be balanced between these two.

So here’s my idea:

8 all stars are chosen by fan votes, and 16 are chosen by coaches, other players, etc.

The 8 players will be team captains, and they’ll choose the players they want, like what they’ve started doing with this “Team Lebron” and “Team Durant” thing. So, you’ll have eight teams of three, and they’ll have a 3 on 3 street ball tournament. Classic playground stuff; half court, first to 11, etc.

It’s a unique game, it’s streetball, so the creative guys can do their stuff, but the fundamental guys can also be showcased as well.

2) the four quarter final games of the tournament

3) three point shootout

I actually think this is basically alright as it is. It’s probably way too long, so get rid of a round and a few players, and it’s fine.

4) the two semi-final matches of the tournament

Maybe make these games first to 15

5) the dunk contest

I think we can all agree it’s not working, and I think the biggest problem is the live format. So here’s two potential solutions:

A) every team in the league submits one video of one of their players dunking. Not in game, just the best dunk any of their players can do, like in practice. That way we won’t have to watch endless fails, nor players trying “safe” dunks. So, we’re shown videos of thirty dunks, and the crowd electronically vote for the best.

B) Same as before, but every team submits two dunks.

First, you’d show the five dunks from each of the teams in the southwest division, the crowd would vote, and the winning team would go through to the final representing their division.

They’d repeat that five more times for each division, until you’ve got six finalists.

We’d then see the second dunk from each of those six teams, the crowd votes, and we’ve got our champion, which will basically be a team / division rather than a player.

6) the final of the 3 on 3 tournament

Make it first to 21 for this game.

And there you have it. We all had some fun, and everybody goes home a winner.
Like Reply
I'll add...play keep the ball away from Giannis in the actual ASG.  Dude is boring and doesnt pass.  Ball should have been given to Jokic way more than Giannis.

I say add more players to the 3 contest.

No props can be used in the Dunk contest...no jumping over cars or people...boring.

I like the idea of guys playing a different sport.  Miniature golf is funny but would take too long...maybe have them do a quick archery contest ha.  Karaoke?

No one tries in the skills challenge...kill it.  More archery
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 10:42 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: I'll add...play keep the ball away from Giannis in the actual ASG.  Dude is boring and doesnt pass.  Ball should have been given to Jokic way more than Giannis.

I say add more players to the 3 contest.

No props can be used in the Dunk contest...no jumping over cars or people...boring.

I like the idea of guys playing a different sport.  Miniature golf is funny but would take too long...maybe have them do a quick archery contest ha.  Karaoke?

No one tries in the skills challenge...kill it.  More archery

Giannis is more unstoppable in the post, than Jokic.  That's why he got the ball.  Personally, I think the game itself and the dunk contest should be trashed, and just have the Skills Competition and the 3 pt shootout.
Like Reply
(03-08-2021, 01:05 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Giannis is more unstoppable in the post, than Jokic.  That's why he got the ball.  Personally, I think the game itself and the dunk contest should be trashed, and just have the Skills Competition and the 3 pt shootout.

The way I see it is...its not entertaining watching a pretty standard 2 handed jam that you see pretty much every night in regular NBA games during a exhibition game when no one is even playing defense in the paint.  Nothing against Giannis...its just people want to see creative passes, creative dribbles or half court shots.  Maybe a unique alley-oop.   

Before removing the dunk contest(I like original posters ideas)...maybe try something new like doing height divisions or something.   6 foot 4in and under or something like that.

Since the game has evolved and the long shot is being hit efficiently from deeper and deeper...I was thinking it might have been cool for Dame and Curry have an open mic and bet money for each of their own charities at a long bomb competition.  For example...they each have a mic and one of them says "Ill bet you $10,000 I can beat you best out of 5 shots from there(one of them points to a spot on the floor that is like 40-45 feet from the rim)."   They can either agree or bet on a different spot for $50,000(or some amount of money).   You would get the entertainment of them negotiating and then watching them shot crazy shots from deep.
Like Reply
I didn't even watch this year as all the tweaks are just too much.

-3P Contest was fine and didn't need the Sprite Bombs or dedicated money ball rack.  The new scoring makes it harder to judge all time great performances.
-Remember when stars used to compete in the 3P contest?
-As for the game itself, the first three quarters don't count and the last quarter is to 24 (Kobe?).  It's cool from a charity standpoint but you could award charity donations based on quarter scoring without invalidating the points.  It makes the first three quarters of play worthless from an effort standpoint and players already aren't going all out which is  understandable as you don't want to get hurt but it certainly doesn't make for a compelling watch.
Like Reply
I Like your ideas and would be down for it. Streetball sounds awesome. I don't know if I like the dunking-contest idea but there's actually no good solution imho. Dunking got boring anyway, since we have seen everything. Nothing to fix here, just the way it is.
Like Reply