Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
(02-23-2021, 03:49 PM)omahen Wrote: But, can he play SG in the big boys league?

I think the ceiling for TT is as a starting SG alongside Luka. I think a tier down from that is backup PG.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 03:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think the ceiling for TT is as a starting SG alongside Luka. I think a tier down from that is backup PG.

Ceiling is 6th-man Curry.  Backcourts would destroy a defensive combo of Luka/TT.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 04:00 PM)cow Wrote: Backcourts would destroy a defensive combo of Luka/TT

I disagree. Based on the really small sample size I have seen (56 NBA minutes and 233 GLeague mins) TT is a MUCH better defender than I had ever anticipated. His short wingspan will be an issue, but he has the foot speed to stick with guys and the grit to fight around screens and take charges. As Luka matures I anticipate him being a break-even defender (and a crunch-time plus defender) and I think TT can at least be a break even defender if he stays engaged and reaches his ceiling.

NOTE: in 56 minutes TT has by far the best defensive rating on the whole Mavs team this year, which doesn't mean he is All NBA or anything, but just points to the fact that the Mavs have NOT been killed when he plays. He isn't getting picked on in such a way as to ruin the team D.
Like Reply
Bey taking and hitting threes is a real nice development.  I know he shot well last year but the # of attempts were so small that I pretty much discounted them.  When I watched him shoot in workouts, I didn't think he would ever be a threat to three point range.  Therefore, I viewed him as a guy who would need to excel guarding wings on defense, focus on rebounding, and on offense fill in the gaps with a rim run, offensive rebound put back, and garbage hustle point score.    If he can be a decent threat at three, he will really help himself.   Even if it is only taking wide open threes.  

I discount some of the post moves he is scoring on in the G-league because I don't think that is going to be how he scores in the NBA, but the rest of his game looks really good.   I would like to see how he is defending, especially perimeter players, because he will need to be really good at that.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 03:42 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah all three guys are far more "raw" than say Luka or JB a few years ago. I think all three will be rotation guys at some point and I think at least one of them will be an NBA starter.

This entire rookie class, honestly.    I seem to get the feeling that the NBA nerds/media are trying to paint this class out to be better than expected, but as NBA nerds/media they're going to hyped up over anything.   There are guys I like by Halliburton, who I also liked a lot in the draft, but I think he's still a ways away from being a key starter on a contender.    Other guys are just getting some play because they're getting big minutes on bad teams and put up the occasional big quarter or big game here and there.   Desmond Bane last night didn't leave me feeling that the Mavs have missed on some 15 year NBA starter.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 04:41 PM)HanspardShowerVoice Wrote: Desmond Bane last night didn't leave me feeling that the Mavs have missed on some 15 year NBA starter.

Yeah no way. I wouldn't honestly trade him for any of the Mavs three because all of the Mavs guys have much higher ceilings than him, IMO.
Like Reply
And suddenly the Mavs rookies are the greatest prospects in the world. Better than guys that are actually playing starter minutes in the NBA. From unnecessary bashing to all out hype in just two weeks. Never change Mavs community.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 06:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And suddenly the Mavs rookies are the greatest prospects in the world. Better than guys that are actually playing starter minutes in the NBA. From unnecessary bashing to all out hype in just two weeks. Never change Mavs community.
Amazing what a few G-League games will do for a player.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 06:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: And suddenly the Mavs rookies are the greatest prospects in the world. Better than guys that are actually playing starter minutes in the NBA. From unnecessary bashing to all out hype in just two weeks. Never change Mavs community.

I’m definitely not saying that. 

I’m just saying that there was literally nothing that could happen this season to make me sour on them, because I never imagined they’d contribute anything this season.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 05:49 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yeah no way. I wouldn't honestly trade him for any of the Mavs three because all of the Mavs guys have much higher ceilings than him, IMO.

We if went Bey Bey in the draft though.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m definitely not saying that. 

I’m just saying that there was literally nothing that could happen this season to make me sour on them, because I never imagined they’d contribute anything this season.

Agree but the current hype train is a little bit to much. Most of the time we barely even look at the g-league. And now players that couldn´t do anything on an NBA level are suddenly better than guys that are already contributing to winning basketball in the NBA.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 06:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: all out hype

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5645659]
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 07:02 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’m definitely not saying that. 

Don't worry, no one is. He is making up a straw man to attack.
Like Reply
RE: Bane vs Mavs Rookies

Look, it is my honest and as educated as possible opinion that I think one of the Mavs rookies (or more) will end up a better player than Bane. Bane is shooting really well, no question. But I don't see him as much of a prospect beyond what he already is (and I also think he will not keep up this insane shooting level). I could be dead wrong, but the reality is that it is WAY TOO EARLY to make any judgments other than just stating one's take. If someone likes Bane or SBey better, good for them. I don't. Let's give it five years and see where things are. It will be fun to see it shake out.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 07:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Don't worry, no one is. He is making up a straw man to attack.

Where is Josh Reaves these days? I love your contribution but you are the biggest rookie/prospect homer on this board. New pet every season.
I consider myself one of the more pro rookie guys as well but we need to have realistic expectations.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 07:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Where is Josh Reaves these days? I love your contribution but you are the biggest rookie/prospect homer on this board. New pet every season.
I consider myself one of the more pro rookie guys as well but we need to have realistic expectations.

Reaves? Reaves is in the G League averaging 10.7 pts and 4.4 rbds. Okay, so? Why bring up Reaves? I liked some flashes he showed at times with energy and D but never, ever hyped him up as anything special.

Homer? I did NOT like the Mavs drafting JG or TT at their spots and have been VERY vocal about that. I would have taken other guys in those spots. I disagree with the Mavs draft evals, but I also have the humility to give them the benefit of the doubt and let it play out.

Realistic expectations? I said it was premature, but think all three Mavs rookies (TT, JG, TBey) will be a rotation guy at some point in their career. We are talking at least one year where they are in the top 8-9 on some NBA team. I also said I think one of them will become a starter in the NBA at some point in their career. We are talking at least one year where they start on some NBA team. These are ridiculously tame expectations and completely within the realm of possibility.

As opposed to labeling me as a homer or having unrealistic expectations in some generic way, why don't you speak directly to specific statements of mine?
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 07:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Reaves? Reaves is in the G League averaging 10.7 pts and 4.4 rbds. Okay, so? Why bring up Reaves? I liked some flashes he showed at times with energy and D but never, ever hyped him up as anything special.

Homer? I did NOT like the Mavs drafting JG or TT at their spots and have been VERY vocal about that. I would have taken other guys in those spots. I disagree with the Mavs draft evals, but I also have the humility to give them the benefit of the doubt and let it play out.

Realistic expectations? I said it was premature, but think all three Mavs rookies (TT, JG, TBey) will be a rotation guy at some point in their career. We are talking at least one year where they are in the top 8-9 on some NBA team. I also said I think one of them will become a starter in the NBA at some point in their career. We are talking at least one year where they start on some NBA team. These are ridiculously tame expectations and completely within the realm of possibility.

As opposed to labeling me as a homer or having unrealistic expectations in some generic way, why don't you speak directly to specific statements of mine?

I am not going back to the old board but I remember that you used to praise Reaves (I liked him as well) and it honestly feels like this is the case every year. Pick one or two rookies and defend them to the bitter end. Never mentioned that you are pro/contra any of the current guys.
I consider a starting role on an NBA team as high expectations. That´s not a given. Especially for 2nd round picks. Question is why would you pick them over Bey or Bane? Both are already rotation guys. Playing starter minutes. If that´s the future role for our current rookies the Mavs should have picked the more NBA ready guys.
Meaning that the Mavs either missed out on some better guys or hope that Bey, Green and Terry have a higher ceiling.

I used the term homer because I think most fans are having the same thoughts about their teams rookies/young players. That´s just how it is. We don´t focus on other teams rookies or random g-league players.
Maybe I am just focusing on the negative examples but I don´t really trust g-league performances.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 08:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I consider a starting role on an NBA team as high expectations. That´s not a given.

It is on ONE level, but for me to speak about these three guys and say ONE of them will get to that point (a starter) for one season? It is not unrealistic for one of three guys to get there. AND it is based on what I have seen from them. You can disagree, but I am not just slapping homer takes on the wall.
Like Reply
Let me phrase it differently. The g-league performances are definitely a plus and it is nice to see them in action but so far I haven´t seen a lot of things that will translate to the NBA.

Tyler Bey: Mostly using his superior athleticism to dominate in the paint (rebounding/scoring). Playing at the 4 or even as a small ball 5. I think the rim running and shooting numbers are good sign. Don´t think the post game will translate to the NBA. Not sure about the rebounding and the defense (especially in the paint).

Tyrell Terry: More of a score first SG. Not the backup PG that the Mavs wanted. Shot still isn´t falling like it used to do but he has shown some nice finishing ability. Can he do the same against better defenders? What about the missing playmaking?

It is good that they are playing but I am not sure if them putting up numbers in a role that they will most likely never have in the NBA is really helping.
Like Reply
Nate Hinton yesterday played 23 minutes had 11 points, 12 rebounds (4 offensive) and 4 assists.
Like Reply