Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
Looks like the game is slowing down a little bit for TT and his confidence seems to have gotten a good and much needed boost. Like I said after the preseason, I think he shows much more promise than I thought he would based on his measurables.
Like Reply
I'm glad 6th-man Curry is showing signs of life.  I was a little more than concerned after seeing his debut minutes in the big league.
Like Reply
Where the hell was this confidence from Terry just 2 weeks ago??

Dude looks like a totally different player there. I hope he maintains that kind of swagger when he comes back.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 01:12 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Where the hell was this confidence from Terry just 2 weeks ago??

Dude looks like a totally different player there. I hope he maintains that kind of swagger when he comes back.

Rick Carlisle
Like Reply
It is nice to see with Terry.   It is going to take some time for him.   He may not even crack the rotation next year, but I hope the Mavs are patient with their young guys.  Were they the best players to be picked at 18 and 31?  We will see, but I will be disappointed if they move either for a short term upgrade.

I am glad Josh Green is going to hopefully get a lot of G-League minutes.   He has been with Salt Lake for the past few games but hasn't played.   Maybe their are some rules there.  It is bad timing for him though.  The Mavs had their first stretch of getting a lot of practice time in between games and Josh has not had any run yet with Salt Lake.   I think getting playing time should trump everything for Green.  But if he is not playing, it would have been nice to have him get a lot of that team practice time.  I still have hope they find minutes for him as the season goes on.   5 minutes here and there.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 09:25 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It is nice to see with Terry.   It is going to take some time for him.   He may not even crack the rotation next year, but I hope the Mavs are patient with their young guys.  Were they the best players to be picked at 18 and 31?  We will see, but I will be disappointed if they move either for a short term upgrade.

I am glad Josh Green is going to hopefully get a lot of G-League minutes.   He has been with Salt Lake for the past few games but hasn't played.   Maybe their are some rules there.  It is bad timing for him though.  The Mavs had their first stretch of getting a lot of practice time in between games and Josh has not had any run yet with Salt Lake.   I think getting playing time should trump everything for Green.  But if he is not playing, it would have been nice to have him get a lot of that team practice time.  I still have hope they find minutes for him as the season goes on.   5 minutes here and there.

One important data point not discussed about Terry and Green is that they are one and done guys. The true comparison would be to guys like Maxey, etc. that we passed up on. The college ready guys seem to be doing fairly well right now like Bey and Bane. 

I have been hard on the rookies but its going to take them at least 1 summer league and off season camp before we have a true perception of their upside.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 09:48 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: One important data point not discussed about Terry and Green is that they are one and done guys. The true comparison would be to guys like Maxey, etc. that we passed up on. The college ready guys seem to be doing fairly well right now like Bey and Bane. 

I have been hard on the rookies but its going to take them at least 1 summer league and off season camp before we have a true perception of their upside.

That is true.  Terry is an extreme example of this too.  He was not a well known high school prospect and sort of got a lot of press near the end of their shortened season last year and become known to us amateur draft guys near or at the end of the season.  You also have to account that he is just starting to grow into his body and is behind a lot of the more developed prospects.

I have seen both the strengths and negatives from all the scouting reports I read before the draft.  As far as his strengths go, I don't think he is as weak as I expected early on.   Also, he is really pretty crafty finishing in the lane.  This is a great development.  Some guys have it and some guys like Dennis Smith can do everything right but then not finish.    As far as negatives go, I think he looks to glide around a little too much and is a little carless at times passing the ball.   I think this will be big areas of improvement.  

Long term, I think shooting will determine his fate.   For me there are three levels for him: Good three point shooter, great three point shooter and Steph Curry three point shooter.   The Steph level is probably unrealistic as those are very rare.  If he is a good three point shooter, he will probably bounce around awhile and maybe eventually find a niche.  It probably won't be here.   There is nothing wrong with being a good (50-70% ranking with peers). If he is a great three point shooter, he should be given time to develop and have the rest of his game improve as well.   I hope he would be given time to develop here if that is the case.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 09:48 AM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: One important data point not discussed about Terry and Green is that they are one and done guys. The true comparison would be to guys like Maxey, etc. that we passed up on. The college ready guys seem to be doing fairly well right now like Bey and Bane. 

Right, and not even run of the mill traditional 1 and doners either.    More like .5 and done thanks to the COVID shortened college season last year.   And no rookie league either.   Even harder for Terry because PGs have a much harder learning curve.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1364...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks
Like Reply
TBey today...

28 mins 
+16 (team best....team was +7)
5-12 FG 
3-7 3P 
5-6 FT 

18 pts
11 rbds
1 blk
5 TO
Like Reply
JG today...

23 mins 
+6 (team was +7)
6-13 FG 
2-4 3P 
1-1 FT

16 pts
7 rbds
4 stls
2 TO
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...1270629380
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1364275645677731842
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsDraft/status/136...3705490432
Like Reply
If any 2/3 of those rookies hit, the entire outlook of this team changes dramatically. 

I still think there’s a good chance all three of them do.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 03:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I still think there’s a good chance all three of them do.

It was really premature and some folks really scoffed, but I said after the preseason that I think the Mavs hit on all three of JG, TT, and TBey. By "hit" I mean they will all be at least rotation guys at some point in their careers. And nothing has changed my opinion. 

I am especially thrilled that TBey is shooting 41% on threes....that moves up his contribution timeline quite a bit.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 03:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It was really premature and some folks really scoffed, but I said after the preseason that I think the Mavs hit on all three of JG, TT, and TBey. By "hit" I mean they will all be at least rotation guys at some point in their careers. And nothing has changed my opinion. 

Totally agree.

There are different types of rookies, and they go to different types of situations. When you draft a Desmond Bane or a Jalen Brunson, you’re hoping they can contribute right away. That’s not to say that older rookies can’t ALSO improve over time, but the immediate upside there is that they can contribute sooner. 

As I said on draft night, the Mavs’ approach to this draft was a complete left turn from anything they’ve done in a long, long time (other than the DSJ/Luka picks, which were stabs at a “beginning”). They drafted raw, talented players who weren’t the best options to contribute early, but who fit (hopefully) into a vision of the team’s future. Now, no guarantees that the vision will be realized, but it was exceedingly clear to me that these picks weren’t made with THIS SEASON in mind. If they’d wanted an instant contributor, they would’ve taken SBey or others who were more ready to play right away. 

This is why I NEVER get upset when the rookies don’t get time on the court, because I know that the picks were made with the long game in mind, and I know that putting players in position to immediately fail in front of a TV audience isn’t always the best way to “develop” them. I’m certainly happy they’re getting this chance to gain experience in the g-league though. 

Bey might have been the most raw when drafted, especially if they actually plan on making him a wing, but...since they seem to view him at least partially as a 4, and since that position is a major issue for the team this season, I actually think he, not Green, has the best chance at contributing quickly. Green has at least three veteran players ahead of him - DFS, THJ and Richardson.
Like Reply
(02-23-2021, 03:39 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: raw

Yeah all three guys are far more "raw" than say Luka or JB a few years ago. I think all three will be rotation guys at some point and I think at least one of them will be an NBA starter.
Like Reply
Imagining a future of Green/Bey terrorizing players with their perimeter defense while Terry is draining 3s sure is more enjoyable than fretting over what will happen with KP.
Like Reply
One thing I worry. It is nice to see players put up some numbers in G-league. But are they really developing? For example Terry. It seemed like Mavs want him to be a PG, a role he was clearly not comfortable with, because he was always more of a SG than PG. I think he plays SG in g-league again, position he is comfortable with. But, can he play SG in the big boys league?
Like Reply