Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs Rookies G-League Watch: Green, Terry, Bey & Hinton
Best thing about Green is he does not stand at the 3 point line ready to chuck a shot...he actually moves around the court...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 12:27 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Best thing about Green is he does not stand at the 3 point line ready to chuck a shot...he actually moves around the court...

Best thing offensively probably, though his decisiveness, BBIQ, and savvy passing are up there too. 

Defensively he does a ton well and still has lots of room to grow with understanding NBA offensive tendencies.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 12:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Best thing offensively probably, though his decisiveness, BBIQ, and savvy passing are up there too. 

Defensively he does a ton well and still has lots of room to grow with understanding NBA offensive tendencies.

All valid points...we have too many chuckers who do not dive and are not as active on defense either like Green...his motor is off the charts great IMO...
Like Reply
JG's 10 most played lineups:

17 mins, +34.3
13 mins, +51.7
13 mins, +59.3
11 mins, +19.0
10 mins, +9.5
9 mins, +20.0
9 mins, +28.3
7 mins, -20.0
6 mins, +84.6
6 mins, +73.6

No joke. This is real. 

PLAY THE KID.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 12:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No joke. This is real. 

PLAY THE KID.

I think that is totally logical and misinterpretation. He only plays when he plays well. When he doesn't, he is benched quickly. I never criticized the kid and I don't want to. I think he has great potential.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 01:04 PM)omahen Wrote: He only plays when he plays well. When he doesn't, he is benched quickly.

I think this is fundamentally false. I do not believe that RC has yanked him more than a couple times the entire season for playing poorly. 

Can you offer concrete evidence of this? Can you offer specific games where you think he was benched for playing poorly and then didn't reenter?
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 01:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think this is fundamentally false. I do not believe that RC has yanked him more than a couple times the entire season for playing poorly. 

Can you offer concrete evidence of this? Can you offer specific games where you think he was benched for playing poorly and then didn't reenter?

Don´t think it is about playing poor. More about the specific role he has right now. As a rookie he probably has limited knowledge and experience when it comes to different concepts and schemes. With limited practise time it is really difficult to insert a new guy into a working system. Might work in case of a vet like Redick but even guys like Iwundu or Johnson looked lost on both ends. Richardson still hasn´t found his role in the half court offense.
Would be really nice to avoid the play in. The storm/cold weather break in february showed that a few additional practise days can make a big difference.

I actually think that Green is doing a better job than some of the vets and in the last few games his offensive awareness/positioning looked a lot better compared to earlier in the season. No suprise that this development also leads to more minutes.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 01:16 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think this is fundamentally false. I do not believe that RC has yanked him more than a couple times the entire season for playing poorly. 

12 games he played less than 5 minutes, I can count 7 games where he played less than 5 minutes and his +- is negative, for whatever that is worth. 20 games he played more than 5 minutes.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 01:30 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Don´t think it is about playing poor. More about the specific role he has right now.

For sure. I don't really disagree with anything you are saying. 

I just disagree with omahen's take completely. I do not believe I am misinterpreting ANYTHING about the data, in fact I am not even doing interpretation really at all. I am just observing how successful the lineups of Green have been. Sure, RC has been picking his spots, so some of it is attributable to RC's coaching decisions, but I think it is naive to think Green's impact is only because RC has been benching him when he doesn't "play well."

Will the insanely positive impacts continue in larger minutes? Almost certainly not, and I never said so. I am just suggesting that Green's play and impact warrants him getting more minutes. Then go from there and see how he does. Like last night, larger minutes did NOT diminish his impact and arguably increased it.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 01:39 PM)omahen Wrote: 12 games he played less than 5 minutes, I can count 7 games where he played less than 5 minutes and his +- is negative, for whatever that is worth. 20 games he played more than 5 minutes.

The majority of his small minute games are garbage time with all rookie lineups that have been HORRIBLE. 

Again, show me some specific evidence for your claim please.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 01:41 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The majority of his small minute games are garbage time with all rookie lineups that have been HORRIBLE. 

Again, show me some specific evidence for your claim please.

I narrowed it down to second quarter to cut garbage time. Plenty of times he was in for just a couple of minutes, which might one take as an indicator coach was not satisfied with the on court result. He played more minutes basically only when team was also successful (which was only about 50 % of cases).  

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1630182...on=2020-21&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&sort=MIN&dir=1&Period=2

(05-05-2021, 01:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: For sure. I don't really disagree with anything you are saying. 

I just disagree with omahen's take completely. I do not believe I am misinterpreting ANYTHING about the data, in fact I am not even doing interpretation really at all. I am just observing how successful the lineups of Green have been. Sure, RC has been picking his spots, so some of it is attributable to RC's coaching decisions, but I think it is naive to think Green's impact is only because RC has been benching him when he doesn't "play well."

Will the insanely positive impacts continue in larger minutes? Almost certainly not, and I never said so. I am just suggesting that Green's play and impact warrants him getting more minutes. Then go from there and see how he does. Like last night, larger minutes did NOT diminish his impact and arguably increased it.

I agree with this take. And misinterpretation was too strong word, my bad.
Like Reply
(05-05-2021, 01:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am just suggesting that Green's play and impact warrants him getting more minutes
I think it at the very least has earned him zero DNP-CDs going forward. At least.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dalton_trigg/status/...9667716097
Like Reply
Here's Josh's "All Possessions" on Youtube from the Heat game. He just looks so relaxed, comfortable and savvy. His steal, dribble the ball up, and leave for THJ for 3 was beautiful. His boxing out and awareness on rebounding was stellar. His swipe of the ball of a Heat mid dribble was amazing. And his dives on the floor were refreshing. Love all of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FyGJsXf4QI
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 03:15 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Here's Josh's "All Possessions" on Youtube from the Heat game. He just looks so relaxed, comfortable and savvy. His steal, dribble the ball up, and leave for THJ for 3 was beautiful. His boxing out and awareness on rebounding was stellar. His swipe of the ball of a Heat mid dribble was amazing. And his dives on the floor were refreshing. Love all of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FyGJsXf4QI

Reminds me of DFS as a rookie...
Like Reply
(04-30-2021, 04:07 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think it is a mistake to plan out an offseason and not include Green in the plans.  

Probably worth reminding some of us fantasy trading free agent signing dreamers.
Like Reply
I love what we're seeing from Green the past few games, but I think he still has a very long way to go to justify taking him over Saddiq.
Like Reply
(05-06-2021, 09:37 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I love what we're seeing from Green the past few games, but I think he still has a very long way to go to justify taking him over Saddiq.

Good thing we have time.
Like Reply
Green was impactful tonight.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/3oxRmuDvOy.../giphy.gif
Like Reply