Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 108, Rockets 133
ROCKETS STEAMROLL HAPLESS MAVERICKS

Woof. 

Pretty dismal showing from the Mavs. Might have been the least entertaining game of the season, tbqh. 

GAME STORY

Both teams were on the second games of back-to-backs. Both teams had played many games in few nights. Both teams were missing key players — Richardson, DFS, Maxi, Powell and KP for the Mavs, and Danuel House, Christian Wood, and Victor Oladipo for Houston. KP was being rested, as was Oladipo. Rick went with a starting lineup of Luka, Brunson, THJ, Green, and WCS.

Dallas was terrible in the first quarter, and they were down 27-38 after one. They were unable to make up any ground in the second, and went into halftime trailing 59-70. They made a nice little run to start the third, cutting the deficit to three. But immediately fell apart, and ended the period 83-104. The fourth quarter was played, on the Mavs side, mostly by youngsters, and while they at least scurried around a lot, they didn’t accomplish much. Game over. 133-108.

RANDOM ITEMS

NUMBERS. Dallas was 5-25 from range. Aargh. Houston, by contrast, bombed away, hitting 16-37 deep ones. The Mavs were out-rebounded 36-52, and cobbled together only 15 assists. The Rockets had 58 points in the paint, and 22 second-chance points. And so forth. You get the idea. Just a beat-down in every way. 

ROCKETS. Three of the Rockets had season highs in scoring. It was very much the Boogie-Gordon game, with Vintage Cousins emerging from the time machine and pummeling our team with 28 points and 17 boards, not to mention 5 assists. Eric Gordon buried the Mavs from deep, with 33 points, 6-9 beyond the arc. Mason Jones and David Nwaba combined for 34 points off the Rockets bench. 

PLAYERS. Luka had 26/5/8, but was 1-6 from three, and missed 5 free throws. Hardaway had 15 points, but was 4-13, and some of his points came when the game was out of reach. Bobi put up 15 points and 12 rebounds in 19 minutes off the bench, and, at +9, was the only Mav in positive figures. However, he was pretty terrible at protecting the rim. Burke was decent, with 13 points, and 4-9 shooting. 

Green hit his first NBA three, but had three turnovers. Iwundu played 23 minutes off the bench. He had a few good defensive plays, but man, he is flat dead weight offensively. WCS was poor on both ends. 

CARLISLE. Rick was terse after the game, saying only that the team obviously didn’t play well, and he had no excuses. Asked about Luka’s midrange shots, which have increased this season, he said Luka has been working on that, and that a player in Luka’s position has to have a mid-range counter. 

OBSERVATIONS. The Mavs looked they were running (ambling?) on fumes, and then completely out of gas. They lacked energy, were not competitive, and put up little resistance. I don’t think this game is worth any kind of deep analysis, and I don’t think we can read much into it. I suppose I could say that the Mavs don’t seem to have any kind of answer to teams who play behemoths who can score from everywhere. Also, this team needs Porzingis, in order to survive. Their system just falls apart without his spacing, particularly when two non-shooters are on the floor for the Mavs. 

This is one to forget, fellow MFFLs. Very disappointing effort. Hopefully, a day of much-needed rest will work wonders. Because they face Denver on Monday. 

Peace out. 
Like Reply
Nice work, @"mavsluvr".

Is Derrick Harper nice in real life?
Like Reply
The Mavs won only 11 games one season. They probably had some worse games that year.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 01:47 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nice work, @"mavsluvr".

Is Derrick Harper nice in real life?

Did you think it was crazy that Harp and Skin essentially quit calling the game, and just yucked it up for the last few minutes?

Or that Ced and Harris just gabbed about their war stories in the post game show?

I mean, I get where they were coming from, but it seems like there ought to be some standards around here.
Like Reply
Free Agent Boogie with a tremendous audition.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 01:58 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Did you think it was crazy that Harp and Skin essentially quit calling the game, and just yucked it up for the last few minutes?

Personally I muted it like usual due to the fake crowd noise. Maybe I should go back and listen though...
Like Reply
This game was mainly about our depth. 2nd and 3rd string depth as most of our first unit was out. Depth is normally very important for winning, and it is even much much more this season, due to Covid. 

Conclusion? 

Some of the depth of this team is not on the NBA level, at least currently. The final part of the game, a lot of 4th quarter when rookies were in, was nothing more than G-league level. This was evident in this game, and was also clear all season long. This game was an excellent opportunity to show what the rookies, and the depth players can do at this level. 

I can't comprehend why we started Green? Iwundu has been 10x times better defender one on one situations, and offensively they have both struggled. Iwundu did earn that starting spot and did not get it. This was the major reason behind the slow start we got in this game. I think Green is being played as much as he is, due to him selected with our 1st pick. If he however had been a 2nd rounder, based on his performance so far, I believe he would never have played this many minutes. Some people here say its important to be patient. Its a good point when you are not aiming high and you have time until you contend. I do not agree with this. I dont think Mavs are in position to be patient, we need to win, right now. We cant develop Green for several years and he maybe ends up at a level as DFS. I think during this game this was again evident that he lacks the offensive skillsets, and we didnt see Green much after the horrible start. To my dissepointment, he was equallly bad on the defensive end, getting regularly beat one on one, just as in the last games. He has good, or even great positioning and has solid physical ability, but lacks the feeling of the offensive game and is not a natural scorer, while he also struggles to stay on opponents when defending them, he is a liability on both ends IMO.   

Bey has shown something to deserve of more playing time. He should have been played in the other previous games as well. He looked to be the most NBA ready among the rookies. Not that he should play many minutes when everyone is back, but I got the impression he would have been the least of liability right now, and especially if he played on the wing, as he got bullied at times around the paint. Playing him instead of Green would have given a better result. Terry has the best skillset among the rookies, but lacks the physicality of the NBA. It is clear he will be a decent player in the NBA someday, but this will take time to develop. I think both Bey and Terry deserve more minutes, while Green and Hinton quiet less. 

I think this is the time to start being critical of the rookies if we want more success this season. And I think that's exactly what Carlisle did during this game by pulling out Green and only returned the rookies by the end of the game when it was all over. The depth is going to be all crucial to be able to win the championship, and the team with best depth may win it this season. 

Based on this, we should really consider strengthening the depth and moving some of the rookies to the G-league, once all the players have returned. We could potentially have again periods with several main players out, as we wont get very far with the rookies playing considerable minutes this season.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 06:58 AM)burekemde Wrote: I think Green is being played as much as he is, due to him selected with our 1st pick. If he however had been a 2nd rounder, based on his performance so far, I believe he would never have played this many minutes. Some people here say its important to be patient. Its a good point when you are not aiming high and you have time until you contend. I do not agree with this. I dont think Mavs are in position to be patient, we need to win, right now.

I was all for trading picks for a win now team. Seems Mavs disagree with that and chose a longterm game. Unfortunate consequence is that value of those picks is lower at the moment, since none really showed much. Houston rookies, all much lower picks, showed they are far more NBA ready. I can share the concerns also other have expressed. We didn't have the privilige to see high basketball IQ shooter Terry, or ready to play Green as advertised at the draft. 

(01-24-2021, 06:58 AM)burekemde Wrote: The depth is going to be all crucial to be able to win the championship, and the team with best depth may win it this season. 

I don't really agree. Depth is useful for regular season, especially one like this. Playoffs are all in with a very limited rotation. That's why contenders have extremely top heavy roster construction.
Like Reply
Iwundu has been even worse than Green. That´s the reason Green starts. Even if Iwundu was 10% better, you´d still play Green, because he has six years on Iwundu.

That we are taking about snails running a race into a headwind is another story

41/9/60 (Green)
31/15/60 (Iwundu)
40/N.A./50 (Bey)
33/0/0 (Terry)
18/0/50 (Hinton)

The last time we had a similar draft, we ended up with Cunningham, Crowder and James. Right now I wish just one of them was as good as Sarge.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 01:43 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Their system just falls apart without his spacing, particularly when two non-shooters are on the floor for the Mavs. 

This. With Iwundu and Johnson on the floor the Mavs basically play 3vs5 on offense. Add an non shooting big like WCS and it turns into a 2vs5. With Luka/THJ/Burke/Brunson trying to create of the dribble. Taking difficult pull up shots or driving into a clogged paint.
The Mavs only had 25 3PA. That´s a season low. Not a suprise that THJ and Burke combined for 1/10 from 3. Without any other floor spacer on the court Houston could run them of the 3-point line. Rest pf team is not a threat. Most of them refuse to take an open 3 (Johnson,Green).

Lineups data is really telling the story in this case: 8 worst two-man combinations >50min

Iwundu-Doncic: -36 in 126 min
Johnson-Doncic: -33 in 163 min
Powell- DFS: -30 in 101 min
Burke-Iwundu: -28 in 89 min
Burke-WCS: -26 in 141 min
Iwundu-Johnson: -20 in 90 min
Johnson-Burke: -20 in 195 min
Iwundu-WCS: -32 in 103 min

Even more obvious in three-man combinations: 7 worst

Powell-DFS-Doncic: -34 in 71 min
Burke-Iwundu-Doncic: -34 in 55 min
Johnson-Iwundu-Doncic: -32 in 55 min
Burke-WCS-Iwundu: -32 in 46 min
Johnson-WCS-Doncic: -26 in 73 min
Johnson-WCS-Iwundu: -25 in 32 min
Johnson-Burke-Doncic: -23 in 110 min

Not possible to have solid spacing with a bigman and Iwundu/Johnson on the floor. Luka is looking a lot worse next to them because the paint is clogged. Not to mention that no one can take advantage of open catch and shoot opportunities. it´s not like Luka isn´t creating for his teammates. Last season he had 8.8ast vs 16.5 potential ast. This season he averages 9.5 ast vs 19 potenial ast. One of the worst ratios among high usage players.

For comparisation:
Luka 9.5/19
Jokic 9.6/15.1
Harden 11/17.6
Young 8.7/17.1
CP3  9/17.9
Westbrook 11.3/19.3

Something to look at in the coming weeks. With the return of the missing guys and KP the spacing should improve. I don´t think any of the current net negative guys will be a part of the rotation when everyone is healthy.
Like Reply
Only thing I took from this one was that many teams were foolish to not even want Boogie on a minimum flyer. And I had no idea Kenyon Martin had a son in the NBA
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 08:07 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: This. With Iwundu and Johnson on the floor the Mavs basically play 3vs5 on offense. Add an non shooting big like WCS and it turns into a 2vs5. With Luka/THJ/Burke/Brunson trying to create of the dribble. Taking difficult pull up shots or driving into a clogged paint.
The Mavs only had 25 3PA. That´s a season low. Not a suprise that THJ and Burke combined for 1/10 from 3. Without any other floor spacer on the court Houston could run them of the 3-point line. Rest pf team is not a threat. Most of them refuse to take an open 3 (Johnson,Green).

Something to look at in the coming weeks. With the return of the missing guys and KP the spacing should improve. I don´t think any of the current net negative guys will be a part of the rotation when everyone is healthy.

Yeah, missing KP AND the Covid 4 is a bridge too far for this team.  We've yet to put the entire lineup on the court for a single game this season.  Assuming we ever do, I suspect Luka will look better as a leader and spacing will improve dramatically.  To your point, you might be able to hide one of your non-shooters with KP as center and other good offensive players around them, but not without them.  Even JRich has struggled without the spacing KP provides.

With that said, allow me to whine a little bit.  WCS has been abysmal the last two games.  The light switch hasn't just been turned off, it was covered with sheet rock.  When Powell had had games like this the board lost its ever-loving mind.  Time and time again I made the point that it was incredibly unfair to judge Powell as a solo big.  I will give Willie the same courtesy.  Both of these guys will look better next to KP or Maxi.  But let's be intellectually honest and point out that SAS and Houston have scored at will anytime Willie has been on the floor as a solo big.  We've seen Willie next to KP and it was successful.  I imagine the same will be said when Powell gets the same opportunity.  We saw it work last year.  We haven't had the opportunity so far this year.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 07:23 AM)omahen Wrote: That's why contenders have extremely top heavy roster construction.

Yes in a typical season. This season however, we might look at a situation where Luka is out off playoffs due to covid, or maybe KP. Then depth is crucial. Other teams stars maybe out as well at crucial times in playoffs and there might be playoff games without Luka and Lebron. Then how Green performs and our rookie class is crucial, and difference between Bane that shoots extremely well and Green that just made one shot, is a huge factor. The value of depth will be much higher than usual. We will have JRich, Brunson, Maxi, DFS for playoffs. But we have to prepare for that we might not have KP, Luka, THJ etc. etc. The depth will be the key defining thing in this type of exceptional season. Whoever drafted well, might get the reward of that much sooner than usual.
Like Reply
I think WCS will get a lot of DNP's when everyone is back. WCS is still more useful as an end of the rotation guy than Boban. I like Boban but he is too much of a novelty to be taking up a roster spot. I wish Mavs would bring in a real center. With Covid exemptions I think they can bring someone on without releasing someone, not sure?

You have Dewayne Dedmon out there for example who could actually help play defense when KP sits. Mavs are in a bit of a bind with too many hybrid 4/5's on the roster.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 08:48 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Only thing I took from this one was that many teams were foolish to not even want Boogie on a minimum flyer. And I had no idea Kenyon Martin had a son in the NBA

Boogie has been virtually unplayable this year, shooting 32%. The Mavs didn’t even show up last night.  They just gave the Rockets their home floor to hold a shoot around followed by a slam dunk contest.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 08:48 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Only thing I took from this one was that many teams were foolish to not even want Boogie on a minimum flyer. And I had no idea Kenyon Martin had a son in the NBA
You do realize that Cousins has been atroicous so far.

Season averages of 8/8/3 with 2 TOs per game, shooting 32/28/75.

I let you figure out where those numbers would be without 28/17/5 game, while shooting 60/50/86 against us. I have seen interior designers play better defense.

I have no time for the Gordons of the world either. We need the all-in move for Beal or Lavine.
Like Reply
absence due covid-19
absence due nba covid protocol
no preseason, new guys almost blind jumps into nba game
no training camp to train team systems
training is actually going on the fly with so many guys out and roster changes it's difficult to do it
young teams by age and nba millage gave great disadvantage in such conditions then "older" teams
the worst game schedule you can think off ...

No excuses? Those are all valid ones and mavs fall into every and each of those lines.
Mavs are fighting thru those obstacles and I am proud on mavs for their 0,500 after 16 games in such mess...

@"mavsluvr" thank you
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 09:36 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: I think WCS will get a lot of DNP's when everyone is back. WCS is still more useful as an end of the rotation guy than Boban. I like Boban but he is too much of a novelty to be taking up a roster spot. I wish Mavs would bring in a real center. With Covid exemptions I think they can bring someone on without releasing someone, not sure?

You have Dewayne Dedmon out there for example who could actually help play defense when KP sits. Mavs are in a bit of a bind with too many hybrid 4/5's on the roster.

Huh?  Huh 

Quote: I like Boban but he is too much of a novelty to be taking up a roster spot.

If anything it looks like an under utilization issue offensively of an elite asset. 

Quote:Bobi put up 15 points and 12 rebounds in 19 minutes off the bench, and, at +9, was the only Mav in positive figures. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
I am saying find some kind of 3rd center type that actually can play defense. Right now all of the Mavs bigs are basically 4/5 hybrids. KP can play center effectively enough. Maxi struggles as a center but does well in a 2-big situation. WCS is not providing interior defense enough out there even with another big like JJ. Boban is a traditional center but is a bit player. When Mavs used to have Mejri he was a guy you could stick in there who would play well when called upon. Mavs don't have someone like that on the roster which is a problem. Its less of a problem when Maxi and KP are both available but still an issue.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 09:10 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Yeah, missing KP AND the Covid 4 is a bridge too far for this team.  We've yet to put the entire lineup on the court for a single game this season.  Assuming we ever do, I suspect Luka will look better as a leader and spacing will improve dramatically.  To your point, you might be able to hide one of your non-shooters with KP as center and other good offensive players around them, but not without them.  Even JRich has struggled without the spacing KP provides.
The Mavs' offensive struggles this season have caused me to reconsider their strategies through that lens. In a team constructed to rely on good shooting, we somehow have only five players who are shooting an average or above percentage on threes -- THJ, Maxi, Brunson, KP, and Burke. With offense at a premium, JRich and DFS may need to pick up their shooting percentages, or risk losing minutes to guys who can put the ball in the basket. And if the team ever gets the full roster back, it might be pretty hard to play WCS with another non-shooter like Johnson. 

I hope, like you, that these issues solve themselves when guys return. But even then, I'm not sure these all-defense lineups that some fans are expecting are really going to materialize to any large degree.
Like Reply