Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 8.5 pt RAPTOR & 7.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
7 100.00%
Rockets
0%
0 0%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 16: HOU (6-9) @ DAL (8-8) | 108-133 loss
(01-23-2021, 11:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Got a feeling there’s no changing anyone’s mind on this 3rd rail issue, but when I see those stat lines, I don’t see randomness. I see one version of Hardaway who’s playing to his strengths within a working offense that’s symbiotic to his skill set and another version of him where nobody on the court can create anything for anyone else (for a variety of reasons) so he winds up trying to make offense where none exists. 

Is there a simple element of “make or miss” involved with BOTH versions? Yes. But, I think his success last year was an important cog in a well-oiled machine, and showed elements of both chicken and egg, if that makes sense.

It just goes back to the fact the he's a 3rd option at best.  The reason his contract looked so bad in New York is that he was asked to do much.  Hopefully this is a cautionary tale for the Mavericks if we do decide to resign him.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 11:53 PM)cow Wrote: @Kammrath, I've actually have noticed Luka being a lot more interactive with his teammates as the season as progressed, more so with encouragement (high-fives, etc.).  Maybe he needs to break out the stick as well as the carrot.  I only say that as it was something I noted he wasn't doing a lot of at the beginning of the season.

Yes, agreed. I think Luka has made some strides in that area for sure. And some games he has been pretty good about ignoring the refs, but then he will backslide. 

And I do think this tactic is the right one by RC. Luka has to lead this team to a championship, RC cannot do that and neither can anyone else on this team. There will be massive growing pains as Luka matures as a leader, but better that it happens now. All RC can do is create the best environment possible for Luka to be what he NEEDS to be if this team is going to get to the top.
Like Reply
Luka makes the game seem easy, but the reality is that he’s a 21 year old kid dealing with all kinds of new defensive wrinkles and a revolving door of a team around him. Must be tough just to play consistently himself under those circumstances, so I can totally buy the idea that carrying the team AND being a leader capable of inspiring his teammates to play harder might be a difficult undertaking for him. Imagine being 21 and feeling like you have to hold James Johnson, one of the scariest dudes on earth, accountable for setting a screen the way you like it?

This is making a lot of sense to me. I’m buying it.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 11:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Yes, agreed. I think Luka has made some strides in that area for sure. And some games he has been pretty good about ignoring the refs, but then he will backslide. 

And I do think this tactic is the right one by RC. Luka has to lead this team to a championship, RC cannot do that and neither can anyone else on this team. There will be massive growing pains as Luka matures as a leader, but better that it happens now. All RC can do is create the best environment possible for Luka to be what he NEEDS to be if this team is going to get to the top.

Not to harp on his shot selection too much, but I do think he needs to cut those step-back threes out a bit.  When he overdribbles on the wings, I think the whole team knows what is coming and is a bit defatting as the movement and cuts stop.

And to be fair to Luka, purely by circumstance, this is some of the worst talent we've had around him since the back half of his rookie season.
Like Reply
Wow, after one of the worst losses of the season, we’re having some of the best discussion of the season. Interesting.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 11:59 PM)Kammrath Wrote: And I do think this tactic is the right one by RC. Luka has to lead this team to a championship, RC cannot do that and neither can anyone else on this team. There will be massive growing pains as Luka matures as a leader, but better that it happens now. All RC can do is create the best environment possible for Luka to be what he NEEDS to be if this team is going to get to the top.

Assuming leadership is an issue, I completely disagree with this being a correct tactic. Luka is a kid so why not help a kid with vet experience? Someone he can learn from. Why wasting years with him trying to get it right while you can show him what is right? I said before Mavs need vet leadership - not cheerleading type as JJB was capable to be, but someone who can still play. Who can hustle and who is respected by the league, players, refs. Johnson is a poor man version of that.

In Real Luka was best player but they had plenty of vets who knew exactly what is needed to win. Who were allowing Luka to be the best but steered the ship in the right direction. Result was winning everything possible.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 11:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Got a feeling there’s no changing anyone’s mind on this 3rd rail issue, but when I see those stat lines, I don’t see randomness. I see one version of Hardaway who’s playing to his strengths within a working offense that’s symbiotic to his skill set and another version of him where nobody on the court can create anything for anyone else (for a variety of reasons) so he winds up trying to make offense where none exists. 

Is there a simple element of “make or miss” involved with BOTH versions? Yes. But, I think his success last year was an important cog in a well-oiled machine, and showed elements of both chicken and egg, if that makes sense.

That's also true to some point, but Tim scored many points on pull ups and drives in his great games this season. We have to know the extend of his game. If he is just a good spot up shooter who is great sometimes, he is much less valuable. 

I attempted on writing a post about him to explain the volatility on his shooting a couple of days ago, but couldn't find a consistent pattern, so scratched it.

Although his general 3pt% declines, He gets better on his wide open catch and shoot threes in his first season in New York. Just I was about to get the idea that he only suffered from trying to do too much on a bigger role and higher volume, his second year in NY numbers show a sharp decline to 31% from C&S, yet better numbers on contested pull up threes with decent volume.

So still not sure what to expect from him. He can be a 3&D player with not so great D but a higher volume option, or he can be the best third scoring option available on the market with a little bit more of Rick tuning.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 12:10 AM)omahen Wrote: Why wasting years with him trying to get it right while you can show him what is right?

He had Dirk his rookie year. He had JJB last year. He has been shown the way for two years and IMO it looks like the Mavs purposely shaped the roster this year to hand the keys to Luka. 

Is it possible this is too premature? Sure. But I think they have a better perspective on things than any of us could possibly have and they think this is the right way forward.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 12:37 AM)Kammrath Wrote: He had Dirk his rookie year. He had JJB last year. He has been shown the way for two years and IMO it looks like the Mavs purposely shaped the roster this year to hand the keys to Luka. 

Is it possible this is too premature? Sure. But I think they have a better perspective on things than any of us could possibly have and they think this is the right way forward.

Let's not forget this is all just a theory. And I counter it, because if the Mavs wanted to hand keys to Luka and he is not ready, than this would be clearly their mistake. There is absolutely no reason to put all the burden on him, if they could easily provide help for him. I would go even further and say it would be dangerous to put everything on a 21 year old. So what if he had Dirk and JJ. He had great vets in Real too. That doesn't change the fact he is a 21 year old. We all know we were thinking totally different when we were 21 than at 40. You can have talent, you can learn to play but some things only come with experience and maturing only. This is the important part of teambuilding. You can't expect one person to have all the possible positive qualities. You seek to get the right mix in the team. Sure I can think they should add a vet leader but in the end we have no idea what the lockerroom looks like. Might be Mavs, who certainly know best, did what is needed with the mixture of guys that not only supplement eachother as players but also as persons. Sure Luka is the leader, but the toughness part seem to be provided by others (Johnson, JRich, DFS, KP?). Most of them were missing against Houston. Or perhaps Luka was just too tired to carry all of the burden.

Based on all that my theory would be that the blowouts are a result of a very strange season (we can see they happen all around the league) and the fact that Mavs didn't play any of the games without important parts of the team missing. First their "beta" and later four important rotation players.
Like Reply
(01-24-2021, 12:04 AM)cow Wrote: Not to harp on his shot selection too much, but I do think he needs to cut those step-back threes out a bit.  When he overdribbles on the wings, I think the whole team knows what is coming and is a bit defatting as the movement and cuts stop.

And to be fair to Luka, purely by circumstance, this is some of the worst talent we've had around him since the back half of his rookie season.

Incredibly bad talent around him this game. We really need to start be critical of the rookies.

I agree he should cut down on the step-back threes. When they are not going in, he just needs to attack instead.

However, when they start going in, he should just continue doing them. In essence, it is a bad play, Luka is covered by a defender. As a defense, this is what you hope for, just to challenge the opponent shooting the ball.

In definition, it is nothing different than Dirk posting up, being well defended by an opponent, this is also a bad play in essence, and it is same type as step-back 3, just a bit closer to the basket. They both can always get the shot off even with defenders on them, just using different styles, Dirk with fadeaway, Luka with step-back 3. I am fine with the posting up and step-back threes plays. In theory its bad NBA plays. But if someone executes them well, why not. As long as they go in effectively enough. And when they dont, need to cut down on that for sure. When they go in however, it changes the flow of the game. Defense gets in panic, not being able to defend that, even when they have a guy in proper defending position. Obviously, step-back 3s will have less rate of success than posting up as its further from basket, but they also give 3 instead of 2 points. So overall, I am fine with both these plays. Just go with whatever works.
Like Reply