Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 2.0 pt RAPTOR & 2.0 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
100.00%
12 100.00%
Spurs
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 15: DAL (8-7) @ SAS (8-8) | 122-117 Win
(01-22-2021, 03:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Very possible. 

From MY perspective, this sucks. Life sucks right now, and I wanted the Mavericks to be fun to watch, at least. The kind of basketball they're playing currently isn't entertaining, hasn't been successful and doesn't inspire much hope, even if it ultimately gets them closer in the long run (which isn't guaranteed).

I'm not sure, I can see it this way.
Any second anyone hits a three, the offense looks fine. Not just because of the three but because the opponent can't pack the paint and Luca( or Brunson) will find the open cutter or they and Burke will get to the hop. 

We are just shooting really and unsustainable bad other than THJ and Maxi. 

And any lineup with Iwundu and WCS is only a result of missing a bunch of players.
Like Reply

From MY perspective, this sucks. Life sucks right now, and I wanted the Mavericks to be fun to watch, at least. The kind of basketball they're playing currently isn't entertaining, hasn't been successful and doesn't inspire much hope, even if it ultimately gets them closer in the long run (which isn't guaranteed).

Yeah, I totally get it. 

Last season's high-octane offense was highly entertaining, and this season's constant slog is often hard to watch. And there is no guarantee that the plan, if there indeed is one, is moving the team any closer to the goal line. 

I have some optimism that the watching experience will improve substantially when they get their guys back. But we're enduring a putrid stretch here, for sure. 

Sports in general have taken a quality hit in the days of the virus. 

Hang in there, KL!
Like Reply
(01-22-2021, 01:13 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Mavs have plenty of offense when they get their full squad back. The reality of this season is that they might have to deal with a skeleton crew all year long because of Covid.

The main moves the Mavs made were:

- Rich for Curry
JJ for Wright, Jackson
Rookies that don't play much
- Iwundu who doesn't play much

Curry has started the year super hot but Rich for Curry is not some massive downgrade in offense. I think Rich is a better fit because he can be your lockdown perimeter defender but he can still score.

JJ for Wright and Jackson to me is an upgrade all the way around. They were inconsistent players all the way around. JJ fits into what the Mavs do better and gives you both offense and defense.

The other guys don't matter that much. So this notion that Mavs went super heavy into defense, at least from a personnel standpoint is way over-stated. The fact of the matter is Luka and KP are both talented scorers and Mavs have the ability to play 3 good two-way players around those guys: Rich, DFS and Maxi. These are all guys that add spacing on offense and actually MAKE shots when Luka gets them the ball. On defense they make this a top 10 defensive team.

The bench with THJ, Brunson, Burke and others is still a very good bench. The problem is not the Mavs offseason moves, the problem is this stupid virus that has made half our starters unavailable for multiple weeks + KP's injury to start the year.

I don't know if this is a contender yet even with a full compliment of players but I think the roster as constructed has top 4 in the West upside. I still believe this team can be a top 10 defense and offense with this roster.

Totally agree with you SBJ.

The only criticism that could be made, although its still waaaay to early, is the rookies that Mavs drafted. Would have been nice to have some of the others that play at much much higher level and shooting well. Haliburton, Bane, S.Bey, Maxey etc.

Our rookies have been particularly bad, and with so many main players out, due to Covid, it has been relatively easy for teams to double Luka, because the rest of the team has not had the level to play 4 vs. 3 and score. There is no way that Mavs can perform well like this. Being 7-7 is a miracle at this stage, due to Lukas brilliance, KP returning to better form last game, and emergence of WCS.

Once JRich, DFS, Maxi are back. The opponents will quickly move away from doubling Luka. It simply wont work as it does with rookies around. The offense should be equally explosive this season as the last.

Johnson is really playing well and brings leadership and experience. I really love this trade. He is so much better than what we traded away. I agree Jrich is also better than Curry for us.

We have this season many two way players. I will just count them: Luka, KP, JRich, Maxi, DFS, WCS, Johnson.

This is a team that I think has kept the continuity, we talk about only two new additions with trades compared to last season. So I believe they have made it priority to create continuity. These two new additions, jRich and Johnson, they bring us two new two way players, and improved the defense.

Once this team is full strength, I think they will dominate, and I predict they will peak at the proper time before playoffs.

With half the teams main players out, in fact 3 of them starters (JRich, Maxi, DFS), it's hard to evaluate the Mavs at this very moment.
Like Reply
I agree the offense is not fun to watch right now but in my view that is largely a consequence of not having our key guys available. It's just a weird year, I hope this gets better but it might not really until next season when everyone is vaccinated.
Like Reply
(01-22-2021, 04:46 PM)burekemde Wrote: The only criticism that could be made, although its still waaaay to early, is the rookies that Mavs drafted. Would have been nice to have some of the others that play at much much higher level and shooting well. Haliburton, Bane, S.Bey, Maxey etc.

Our rookies have been particularly bad, and with so many main players out, due to Covid, it has been relatively easy for teams to double Luka, because the rest of the team has not had the level to play 4 vs. 3 and score. There is no way that Mavs can perform well like this. Being 7-7 is a miracle at this stage, due to Lukas brilliance, KP returning to better form last game, and emergence of WCS.

In a vacuum I like Josh Green a lot. Mavs tried hard to get Haliburton so can't fault them for that. Maxey is a tough one bc Mavs could have had him. He's getting 20 mpg on a good Philly team. All that being said it's early. Green's defense is legit and he shows flashes of offensive magic. I could see him being another J Rich type, 3D with some offensive tools. If Mavs get that they will be pretty happy I think, especially considering their draft history in mid-late 1st round hasn't been great.
Like Reply
(01-22-2021, 04:35 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Last season's high-octane offense was highly entertaining, and this season's constant slog is often hard to watch. And there is no guarantee that the plan, if there indeed is one, is moving the team any closer to the goal line. 

I have some optimism that the watching experience will improve substantially when they get their guys back. But we're enduring a putrid stretch here, for sure. 

Sports in general have taken a quality hit in the days of the virus. 

Hang in there, KL!

It's probably worse for you than for the rest of us. We have the option of turning these games off, even though we don't. Since watching them is your job, you really have no choice.
Like Reply
(01-22-2021, 05:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's probably worse for you than for the rest of us. We have the option of turning these games off, even though we don't. Since watching them is your job, you really have no choice.

hahahaha, oh, too much
Like Reply

Well, imo, it's been a lot more interesting and exciting with WCS and KP getting a lot of minutes, as you never know what manner of mayhem is going to ensue! Big Grin  We may not win, but at least there is going to be some action around the rim.
Like Reply
Clean sweep on the poll....everyone voting for the Mavs....hope it isn't a jinx....
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/13...3782629381
Like Reply
[Image: EsYN07UXcAUQFJh?format=jpg&name=large]
Like Reply
(01-22-2021, 08:27 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/13...3782629381

SUPER small. I hope DFS and Kleber are back soon.
Like Reply
Looking good so far!
Like Reply
Sniper unicorn
Like Reply
LA is annoying me.
Like Reply
(01-22-2021, 08:55 PM)Hypermav Wrote: LA is annoying me.

He's become Ray Allen all of a sudden
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Burke, Iwundu, Johnson and WCS on the court at the same time. RIP offense. Yikes.
Like Reply
Great inside scoring by the Mavs!  The ability to score like this will win you some games.
Like Reply
SAS can't shoot much better and they are behind.  Their defense stinks compared to what the Mavs have faced lately.
Like Reply
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKA MY GOODNESS
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply