Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 122, Spurs 117
MAVERICKS SURVIVE LATE SPURS RALLY

Whew! The Mavs controlled the game for much of the match, but gave up a 14-2 run down the stretch, before sealing the victory in the last minute.

GAME STORY

The four guys with the virus remained out. Rick used the same starting lineup that he employed against Indiana — Luka, Brunson, THJ, Green, and KP. 

Both teams busted out their offensive chops in the first quarter, with the teams combining to complete 12 of a total 20 3PTAs. Luka had a better line in the quarter than many guys have in a game — 19/5/6. After one, the Mavs led 37-34.

Dallas dominated much of the second period, achieving a game-high lead of 18 at 4:29. The Spurs came back with a run toward the end, and the Mavs went into the locker room with a 68-58 advantage. 

The Dallas shooting cooled down in the third, but the Spurs couldn’t capitalize, and the quarter featured a battle that ended 27-27. The scoreline was 95-85 going into the fourth. 

Our guys hung in for the early part of the fourth, and led by 13 at the 6:18 mark. Then, the team suffered one of their late-game collapses, committing numerous miscues, and not getting stops. They clung to a 1-point lead with 1:03 to go. Luka danced around in the midrange area, and put up a neat bank shot from 11 feet, to get the lead back to three. DeRozan missed a pull-up. Luka was swarmed at the basket, and found Brunson in the corner for an open three. Mavs +6. Two seconds later, Rudy Gay hit a three, leaving the Mavs clutching on to a three-point edge with 16 seconds. The Spurs played the intentional foul game, and KP and Iwundu came through with their free throws. 

STATS

The Mavs and Spurs took roughly the same number of shots, but Dallas attempted 11 more threes. Although the Spurs shot a higher percentage from range, the Mavs were able to get a couple more makes, due to their shot selection. The Spurs had 10 more FTAs than the Mavs, and the Mavs got a little lucky that the Spurs missed seven of theirs. Point differentials for Dallas were +4 on shots from twos, +6 on points from threes, and -5 on made free throws. The Mavericks high scorers were led by Luka with 36 points, KP and THJ with 21 apiece, Brunson 16, and Burke 13.

Both teams took excellent care of the ball, for the most part, and both teams combined for only 13 turnovers. The Mavs balanced their scoring from different parts of the court, and won the PIP contest 50-40.

PLAYERS

HARDAWAY.  Tim was just flat in a groove in this one, scoring 21 points with an impressive 8-12 shooting record. He made only a couple of threes, but he was aggressive about getting to the basket, and in fact took half of his shots at close range. He put on a high-flying display from one end of the court to the other.  I think his highlight reel play would be a chase down block, followed by running the floor for  a flush at the other end. Woo-hoo! Very efficient and balanced performance. 

DONCIC. Luka put on yet another ridiculous performance, stat-wise. What more is left to say? He boasted 36 points, 9 rebounds, 11 assists, and only 2 turnovers. He was 9-16 on twos, had four threes, and completed all six of his free-throw attempts. I thought he did a good job of controlling the game, and not panicking when the lead was disappearing. Rick praised his leadership in the huddles. 

PORZINGIS. KP contributed 21 points and 8 rebounds, and provided great spacing when the team really needed it. Porzee posted up several times during the game, and Rick was asked about it. He said that Luka called those plays on the floor, as Luka thought KP needed a touch here and there with a smaller guy on him. Rick does not generally favor posting up, but said that he is okay with it if Luka thinks it is necessary, and thinks in this situation, the team was able to use the tactic to advantage. 

BRUNSON. Jalen had an excellent game in his starting role, putting up 16 points, 4 rebounds, and 6 assists, with 6-11 shooting, three treys, and only one turnover. I really liked the way he and Luka worked together, looking almost as smooth as the Dirk-Jet tandem at times. He also controlled the game well when called upon to do so, and remained calm through the clutch minutes, hitting his dagger three with aplomb. The clutch unit was Luka, KP, Brunson, THJ, and Burke/Iwundu, and presumably reflects a level of Carlisle trust in all of these guys.

IWUNDU. Wes was on the floor for 24 minutes off the bench, was the defensive alternate with Burke in the clutch, and had 2 points, 4 boards and an assist. He received the Defensive  Player of the Game Award, with Rick calling his performance “very deserving.” Coach added that he appreciated Wes holding his ground on DeRozan, chasing Patty Mills around, and recovering some 50-50 balls. With all respect and admiration for Wes, I wonder if this award is really for the best defense, or more of an indication of who could use a pat on the head. 

HONORABLE MENTIONS.  Burke contributed 13 points on efficient shooting, also had some nice passes, and was the offensive alternate in the clutch.  Hope to see him put up performances like this with some consistency. Johnson led the bench with 25 minutes, and was somewhat of a mixed bag on the floor. Green had 2 points and 6 boards in 17 minutes. His steal and dunk was the What-a-burger Play of the Game.  Willie had 7 points and 4 rebounds in 15 minutes. 

SPURS. The Spurs were Spurs-like — a mix of skilled veterans, promising youth, and excellent coaching. They generally elected not to double-team Luka outside the paint, as other teams have been doing, and Luka did a good job of making them pay. Brunson attributed their late run to the facts that “they have great veteran players who really know how to play,” and are well-coached. Kudos to our Dallas boys for overcoming those advantages in San Antonio, where winning is always a tough proposition. 

OBSERVATIONS

Rick was very pleased with his team’s disposition during their slide at the end. He revealed that the team had spent a great deal of time working on clutch issues before the season, and thought his guys did a good job at staying ‘cool.” In fact, he liked their “cool” demeanor throughout the game, not letting various bumps in the road like bad calls, missed shots, physical play, and turnovers distract them. Coach said that he had chosen his clutch lineup with the idea that he wanted five shooters on the floor on every offensive possession. He complimented both Luka and KP for their decision-making. 

I thought this game was much more like what we hoped to see from the Mavs this season, and it was entertaining to watch. The pace was very fast, and there were all sorts of highlight plays, with pyrotechnical scoring displays from the guards. KP also looked good out there, particularly on the offensive end. I was also cheered by their effectiveness in the paint, as I hoped that the Pacers match would not be a one-off in that respect. And, although the second half of the fourth had me very nervous, I was proud and relieved that they did manage to pull it out. Even if it was baby steps, they’re at least moving in the right direction. 

We have another rivalry game tomorrow, facing Victor Oladipo and the new-look Rockets at the AAC. Our four virus players will still be out. Rick said that 1 or 2 of them might “trickle in” next week, but the situation is fluid, and nothing is guaranteed. Apparently, a couple of them have been quite sick. Our best hopes for their speedy recovery. 

Until then, MFFLs! Hope everyone is wearing a smile after this one!
Like Reply
When we move and move the ball better, everything works fine. However it's not good that it essentially ended up as a one possession game when all of our scorers shot well.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 02:55 AM)pompelmo Wrote: However it's not good that it essentially ended up as a one possession game when all of our scorers shot well.

I agree this shouldn't be a one possetion game. Should have put them away in the first half. But the second part is not really true - shooting was somewhere average, not good.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 04:58 AM)omahen Wrote: But the second part is not really true - shooting was somewhere average, not good.

I don't see why you would consider that average. KP, Tim, Jalen hit 21 and missed 16 shots in total. They also made half of the 16 threes they took. Luka was also almost 50% from the floor.
Like Reply
@"mavsluvr" thanks

I would add my best wishes and speed and full recovery for our as mentioned  "virus" guys which as now we know some of them got serious ill. Shorthanded mavs are learning to play together more and more with every game.  If they came out of games with W it's great. This can jump out as good, positive lesson in this bad times and will certainly benefit mavs game when "virus" guys will be back.
Like Reply
The Mavs' good shooting was counteracted by the Spurs hitting some ridiculous shots as well, like when LMA hit three consecutive 3s despite averaging 1 make on 4 attempts for the season.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 05:46 AM)pompelmo Wrote: I don't see why you would consider that average. KP, Tim, Jalen hit 21 and missed 16 shots in total. They also made half of the 16 threes they took. Luka was also almost 50% from the floor.

35 % from three and 48 % overall is not exactly good, it is average. Good for this year Mavs for sure. That 3pt % would put Mavs right in the middle of teams overall average 3pt % for the season. There are 15 teams that are shooting better 3pt average for the season. 7 teams are shooting better than 48 % on average for the season.

All of these just proves how much more reserve the Mavs have.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 07:13 AM)omahen Wrote: 35 % from three and 48 % overall is not exactly good, it is average. Good for this year Mavs for sure. That 3pt % would put Mavs right in the middle of teams overall average 3pt % for the season. There are 15 teams that are shooting better 3pt average for the season. 7 teams are shooting better than 48 % on average for the season.

All of these just proves how much more reserve the Mavs have.

You quote me but not really respond to the quote. I specifically mentioned the scorers; although I forgot about Burke. Our "scorers" (the guys whose primary role is to get buckets) shot 47.6% from three (10/21) and 55.3% (26/47) from the floor in general. The scoring options were there, all working. May be the floor genral should have utilized them more rather than his own pull up three, which swung the momentum and forced Rick's hand to call a time out twice during the game.

The good thing is, Luka knew his shot selection was bad in both occasions (he raised his hand). When he hits a couple of those, he ends up taking too many. This was not one of his better games. But he's still only 21. In the end, He will be a much better player than this. May be he'll have less flashy stat lines in the future, but will produce better results called "wins". He is already progressing in the right direction.
Like Reply
Loved this game for the simple fact that the guys that disappointed the most probably won't have minutes in the playoffs (Johnson, WCS, Green, Iwundu).
Like Reply
Anyone watch Keldon Johnson regularly? If that is how he plays all the time, he is EXACTLY the JYD we could use on this team. That dude was ferocious against us! Built like a Mack too! Forget Smart, gimme KJ!
Like Reply
As I’ve said elsewhere, I like Johnson, but his irrational belief that he’s a Lebron type hurts us at times.

Mavslur mentioned that the DPOtG is probably just a ‘pat on the head‘ award, but I still like it. If they occasionally mix it up and give it to Luka and KP, I think it’ll increase it’s overall value.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 08:08 AM)pompelmo Wrote: You quote me but not really respond to the quote.

Sorry, I didn't realize you are specific just about a couple of players.

(01-23-2021, 08:08 AM)pompelmo Wrote: May be the floor genral should have utilized them more rather than his own pull up three, which swung the momentum and forced Rick's hand to call a time out twice during the game.

The good thing is, Luka knew his shot selection was bad in both occasions (he raised his hand). When he hits a couple of those, he ends up taking too many. This was not one of his better games. But he's still only 21. In the end, He will be a much better player than this. May be he'll have less flashy stat lines in the future, but will produce better results called "wins". He is already progressing in the right direction.

This part is just wow. Are you a hall of famer to be so patronizing? This really pisses me off. Like everybody was wide open while Doncic was forcing threes. Is it perhaps possible defence did their job and the scorers just wern't open? Not to mention you are wrong with your claim about shifting momentum. Mavs were up 10 when Doncic entered with 7:18. Since then:
- 6:59: Doncic bank shot made 
- 6:38: Johnson miss layup
- 6:27: Doncic miss layup
- 6:18: Burke and 1
- 5:41: Doncic miss 3pt
- 5:13: Johnson missed 3pt
- 4:40: Doncic layup (Mavs still up by 9)
- 4:08: Burke missed 3pt
- 3:40: Doncic miss layup
- 2:43: KP miss 3pt
- 2:14: Iwundu miss 3pt
- 1:40: Doncic miss 3pt
- 49: Doncic 2pt shot
- 18: Brunson 3pt shot

First Doncic missed 3 didn't shift the momentum yet, second one came when Spurs were already only 2 behind and Mavs missed several three pointers in a row. Non Doncic guys were 2-7 in this sequence. Doncic was 3-7. 

The guys played a great offensive game and I hate it may sound as I am putting them down. Not my intention. But I just can't stand when an anonymus fan is putting down a great offensive performance by Doncic.
Like Reply
Really nice win that could have gone poorly. Mavs actually closed out the Spurs with some clutch baskets late. Iwundu played a nice game. I recall one moment where he passed up a 3 he should not be taking late in a close game. Smart. And that first FT he hit at the end was clutch. If he misses those and the Spurs get the rebound then they will call a timeout and get a chance to tie the game.

JJ continues to be a really good glue guy. I think the success of JJ means that Rick will feel comfortable starting Maxi. Last year he needed Maxi to be the stretch four off the bench but this year JJ fills that role. I hope the Mavs keep JJ next year as well.

THJ had an awesome game. He was taking really good shots. 3's were good looks, some transition buckets and some hard drives to the basket.

Josh Green is a very nice prospect. I think you can see him being an important player for the Mavs eventually. He will have to earn minutes but if he can just hit 3s at a good clip he will have a role on this team. I think his ceiling is capped by his outside shooting. His floor as a player is probably a top 8ish rotation player once he gets up to speed. His ceiling is a starter. 

Mavs have multiple guys that are stoppers now. In the playoffs sometimes you need a player that can go in and slow down a hot offensive player on the other team. Mavs have plenty of options this year that they didn't have last year.

Iwundu is another guy who can earn more minutes by hitting outside shots.
Like Reply
As much as I hate nail biters this young team needs to learn how to close out games and tonight they came through with the win...hope this helps lead to more wins and composure in clutch situations...if they solve end of games they will be a nightmare to play against...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 10:18 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Really nice win that could have gone poorly. Mavs actually closed out the Spurs with some clutch baskets late. Iwundu played a nice game. I recall one moment where he passed up a 3 he should not be taking late in a close game. Smart. And that first FT he hit at the end was clutch. If he misses those and the Spurs get the rebound then they will call a timeout and get a chance to tie the game.

JJ continues to be a really good glue guy. I think the success of JJ means that Rick will feel comfortable starting Maxi. Last year he needed Maxi to be the stretch four off the bench but this year JJ fills that role. I hope the Mavs keep JJ next year as well.

THJ had an awesome game. He was taking really good shots. 3's were good looks, some transition buckets and some hard drives to the basket.

Josh Green is a very nice prospect. I think you can see him being an important player for the Mavs eventually. He will have to earn minutes but if he can just hit 3s at a good clip he will have a role on this team. I think his ceiling is capped by his outside shooting. His floor as a player is probably a top 8ish rotation player once he gets up to speed. His ceiling is a starter. 

Mavs have multiple guys that are stoppers now. In the playoffs sometimes you need a player that can go in and slow down a hot offensive player on the other team. Mavs have plenty of options this year that they didn't have last year.

Iwundu is another guy who can earn more minutes by hitting outside shots.

Good stuff!  First one to a 3 point shot (among Green and Iwundu) wins.  I have to admit I was screaming "pass it" at Iwundu when he clearly decided to be the guy who would get fouled (KP was wide open).  But, he looked very confident.

Interesting point about JJ allowing Maxi to start.  With the emergence of Brunson (and his ability to play next to Luka), you literally have 9 guys (Luka, KP, DFS, THJ, JRich, Maxi, WCS, Powell and Brunson) who could make an argument for starting when the team is at full strength.  Burke and Johnson are the only players among the top 13 who haven't started a game.  Maxi and Iwundu have started the least among those who have started a game.

I think the decision is going to be more complex than just saying Maxi makes the most sense.  BTW, he probably does make the most sense as he provides much of what you get with other bigs in terms of size and D and boards.  But, he also gives you much of what you get in terms of spreading the floor when you start a wing next to KP (essentially making Luka your 4).  The question is whether you can construct a rotation like that given that you absolutely can't play Powell and WCS together.  Johnson hasn't won me over yet.  He's sub .300 on 3's, has a higher TO% than Asst% and the team is negative when he plays.  The latter may be unfair as his time is always with other bench guys and with so many guys missing, the bench is where you really feel it.  In much the same way I'm not willing to speak poorly of JRich's start until I see him with KP, I'm also not willing to write off Johnson.  Your point about him making it OK to start Maxi would probably be valid IF Johnson could step up a good bit from what he's done so far.
Like Reply
I thought Iwundu and Green really changed the game at the beginning of the 2nd quarter with their great ball denying. In my eyes especially Iwundu was great and actually able to contain DeRozan decently, which no Mavs has done for the last 10 years. Even DFS usually was manhandled by DeRozan in the past.

Brunson might have taken a step offensively. If so, that's insanely important. THJ had a very bad game defensively. Burke wasn't good either.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 10:50 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: The question is whether you can construct a rotation like that given that you absolutely can't play Powell and WCS together.  Johnson hasn't won me over yet.  He's sub .300 on 3's, has a higher TO% than Asst% and the team is negative when he plays.  The latter may be unfair as his time is always with other bench guys and with so many guys missing, the bench is where you really feel it.  In much the same way I'm not willing to speak poorly of JRich's start until I see him with KP, I'm also not willing to write off Johnson.  Your point about him making it OK to start Maxi would probably be valid IF Johnson could step up a good bit from what he's done so far.

Yes, way to cut straight to the heart of it. 

Kleber can't play 48, and he's a PERFECT complement to WCS (or Boban, or even Powell tbh). He certainly CAN exist with KP, and that's awesome, but so can everyone else (except Boban). Too much history of the KP/Powell pairing being a huge positive for the team to write that possibility off. 

I also agree that Johnson is still a mystery. He does some great things out there, especially on defense. He flashes some interesting offensive skills, but the results have been negative, so far. He seems to be good for about 3-4 "wtf" plays on offense per game, and while he is clearly a good defensive presence, he has a tendency to commit stupid fouls at a high clip, too. He's a lot like WCS in those ways, but WCS tends to have a better impact on the game in terms of +/-, even in games where he's not playing well. 

Not giving up on Johnson yet, but I'm cooling pretty fast.
Like Reply
So excited about the turnover line in this one! Our starting guards went 11:2 and 6:1 on assist/turnover ratio. Amazing stuff.
Like Reply
(01-23-2021, 12:24 PM)Jommybone Wrote: So excited about the turnover line in this one! Our starting guards went 11:2 and 6:1 on assist/turnover ratio. Amazing stuff.

I would like to add to the excellent turnover performance a strong mention for our free throw shooting, including late game 100% free throw shooting. It saved the game. Last year, so often we missed one or more and allowed the game to get away.

I was also kind of glad the game got close because it adds to the under 5 points in the last 5 minute victories we have this year. That was precisely what went so wrong last year. Even though we screwed up several things to get to that point, when winning time came, we won!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
KP likely out

https://twitter.com/coopmavs/status/1353...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks
Like Reply