Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 124, Pacers 112
MAVERICKS WIN BATTLE OF THE SHORTHANDED

Mavs put an end to their three-game losing slide in Indiana. Hooray!

GAME STORY

The four Mavs who actually tested positive were still out — DFS, Richardson, Maxi, and DP. Brunson and Hardaway were once again available. The Pacers had their own availability issue, missing Warren (foot fracture), Turner (hand fracture), and LeVert (medical condition). A mass was discovered on LeVert’s kidney in the process of the physical involved in his trade to Indiana, and he is out indefinitely. Best wishes for his recovery. 

With Myles Turner out, Rick was able to start a smaller lineup, consisting of Luka, Brunson, THJ, Green, and KP. 

The offensive improvement was immediately obvious. The Mavs quickly got out to a lead, and found themselves up 15 with 48 seconds remaining in the first. Back-to-back threes from the Pacers to close the quarter left Dallas leading 37-28 after one. Burke (12) and KP (10) had great scoring performances. However, Luka was grimacing and grabbing his knee, requiring attention on the bench at one point, and going to the locker room after the first period. 

Dallas saw its advantage whittled to 3 by the time Luka was able to return at the 7:17 mark. Then, they gradually built their lead back to 10. Unfortunately, Indy went on a 10-2 run in the last 2:30, and the Mavs clung to a 65-63 edge going into the break. They were 0-7 from range in the frame, and were perhaps lucky to have survived. 

The Pacers pulled out to a small early lead in the third, but the Mavs fought back and were up by 8 at 5:52. Indiana was not going down easily, and they put together a 16-9 run to finish the frame. The Mavs’ margin had slipped to a 93-92 sliver when the buzzer sounded. KP kept the Mavs in the game with 12 points in the frame. 

Dallas blew the game open in the fourth, maintaining a double-digit lead from the 7:27 mark on. THJ and Brunson found their shooting boots, and combined for 18 of their team’s 31 points. 

STATISTICS

The Mavericks survived an 8-27 night from three by killing it in the paint. They had a season-high 68 PIP, compared to 48 from the opponent, and shot 61% on two-point attempts. The point differentials were very un-Mavs-like, at +36 on points from twos, -24 on points from threes, and even-steven on made free throws. The opposition defense was designed to stop Luka, and this time, the Mavs made them pay. Our boys were cold as ice from deep, aside from Burke and Hardaway, who combined for seven of the team’s 8 makes. Six Mavericks scored in double figures, led by KP with 27 points and Burke with 22 off the bench. The Dallas players were active on the glass, out-rebounding Indiana 49-38. A good hustle performance from Rick’s men. 

PLAYERS

DONCIC.  Luka had his 30th triple-double, with a 13/12/12 line and only 3 turnovers. He had some MFFL hearts in mouths when he was back in the locker room in the second, but he managed to finish the game with a team-high 38 minutes. With the Pacer defense doubling Luka on almost every possession, he put on an absolute passing clinic, finding the open man and making the right play over and over and over. Luka admitted that the defense had limited him personally (5-15), but left the paint open in the process, and he was able to take advantage. He mentioned that the team was better prepared for the box-and-one after Toronto stopped them with it last game. What an incredibly smart and skilled player!

HARDAWAY.  After dragging a bit against Toronto, Tim looked to be back to his feisty self, especially as the game wore on. He had 19 points on 6-13 shooting, and especially impressed in the fourth, when he put up 10 points on 4-5 shooting, hitting both of his 3PTAs. He had a nice mix of threes and paint shots, even flushing a dunk at one juncture. Good to see Timmy bounce back — this team needs him in order to compete. 

BRUNSON.  Jalen played so quietly and matter-of-factly that I was a little surprised to look at the box score and see that he had 19 points and 4 assists, on 8-13 shooting. He is a good foil for Luka, as he can score and play off the ball, as well as facilitate. As a collateral consequence of being in quarantine, he comes in with fresh legs and serves as an energy guy, as well. 

PORZINGIS. KP had a superb night, leading the team with 27 points on incredible 12-15 shooting. He also recorded 13 boards, five offensive, and had 4 assists. The defensive focus on Luka unchained Kris, who danced through the lane almost at will. The Luka-KP connection was a well-oiled machine, with Luka finding him at every opportunity, and the two put on a dunk-fest. The big man showed off his versatility, scoring in a variety of ways, including cuts, rolls, pops, and post-ups.  Kris himself felt that he is still a step slow on the defensive end, and is working to regain his explosiveness. Be that as it may, he dazzled in this display. 

BURKE. Trey was out there throwing flames off the bench, with 22 points on 9-16 shooting and a team-high 4 threes. He said they had formulated a plan for dealing with the box-and-one, and that he had been encouraged not to hesitate in stepping into shots. He revealed that a losing streak can tend to bring on a certain amount of finger-pointing, especially with everyone cooped up on protocols, and he thought the team had made a successful effort to stay unified. 

CAULEY-STEIN. Willie had a balanced stat line, with 10 points, 5 boards, and 2 each in the assists, steals, and blocks columns, all in 19 minutes on the court. He had some difficulties on the offensive end, missing 5 of his nine attempts, mostly from point-blank range. After the game, Trey noted that the team discerned that Trill was down on himself for missing all those alley-oops. 

Carlisle announced a new team award — Defensive Player of the Game, to be awarded only after wins. Willie was the proud winner of the inaugural DPOG award, and Trey advised that when Rick announced that Willie was the recipient, it totally changed Willie’s outlook. He had not realized he had had such an impact defensively. Rick said that WCS made “the difference in the game,” blocking shots, protecting the rim, and enabling the team to string stops together in the fourth quarter. 

I don’t know whether Rick truly chose Willie solely on merit, or whether it was partly a way to boost Willie’s confidence, but it doesn’t really matter. Either way, it was a heartwarming story. 

HONORABLE MENTIONS. Johnson put up 6 and 6 in 26 minutes off the bench. Green appeared to be getting more comfortable on the floor, and recorded 8 points, 6 boards, and 3 dimes in 23 minutes. At one point, he even did a Dirk impression, hitting a one-legged fadeaway over his defender! Rick went with an 8-man rotation in this game, giving Iwundu a two-minute cameo. 

PACERS. Indiana was struggling, having to play with a depleted roster themselves. They had six players in double figures, led by Malcolm Brogdon with 26 points, and Domantas Sabonis with 25 points and 10 rebounds. They had a good night shooting threes (16-39), but were undone by their inability to defend the paint.

OBSERVATIONS

Rick thought this was a great win, and was particularly proud of his squad’s fourth quarter. He said that Myles Turner being out had enabled him to start a smaller lineup, with KP as the sole big. He felt that had a huge impact on the offense. If Turner had been playing, Coach said he would have stuck with the bigger starting lineup, but would have gone to the smaller one early. KP, in turn, said playing the 5 is much easier for him, and he thought that had contributed to his effectiveness.

I particularly like this game, compared to the most recent ones, because the offense was flowing freely again, and they weren’t turning the ball over all the time (8 total turnovers). They played with energy and joy, and I thought the guys entertained. It was also a great illustration of how the team can win, even without Luka scoring 25-30 points. Kudos to Luka for having the vision and discipline to steer his team in the right direction! 

With this win, the Mavs are back to .500, at 7-7. They have a back-to-back against the Spurs and Rockets coming up on Friday/Saturday, and those promise to be interesting rivalry matches. 

Go Mavs!
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 12:42 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: I don’t know whether Rick truly chose Willie solely on merit, or whether it was partly a way to boost Willie’s confidence, but it doesn’t really matter. Either way, it was a heartwarming story. 

Feels like the enitre team knows that a locked in WCS is a high impact player. Coach, teammates, probably even the janitor all trying to boost his confidence. It´s difficult to manage a sensitive/fragile player but a fully unlocked WCS would make things a lot easier for the Mavs.
Like Reply
Nice win!

Short question: mavsluvrs post are always shown black in black so that i have to highlight the text to read it. Why is that?
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 01:02 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Feels like the enitre team knows that a locked in WCS is a high impact player. Coach, teammates, probably even the janitor all trying to boost his confidence. It´s difficult to manage a sensitive/fragile player but a fully unlocked WCS would make things a lot easier for the Mavs.

He has skills indeed that are useful at this very moment. But Ive never seen an NBA player with less natural ability to finish at the rim. Easy layups and dunks. Its incredible how many he misses. Even the ones he makes, could easy have been misses. Luka brings him in position to score easy 20 or more and he scores half of that or less.

He did elevate the level compared to Powell tough. He is better defender by far.
Like Reply
More and more and more, I am liking the Luka and Brunson backcourt. Brunson is getting better off the ball. And he is exactly that playmaker some people here, including me, are wanting to have next to Luka. Last game he showed he can be that.  

That he is smaller and able to stay with some smaller more mobile PG's, is another advantage. Brunson has that natural feel for the game, that you just cant teach. He is a great player. And he is getting better and better and better. Slowly, but it's noticable. With players steadily improving, you just need to play them more and give them the chances to further improve, reach their ceiling. 

There are interesting lineups that could be made based on the Luka-Brunson backcourt. It also gives another playmaker out there whenever Luka is doubled. Something that THJ cant do the same manner as Brunson is able to do.
Like Reply
Beginning from the start of last season, Mavs are 

2-9 when Luka takes more than 25 shots.
They are 11-7 when he takes less than 20 shots while playing above 30 minutes.

strange things happen when you don't freeze out your teammates; I guess.
Like Reply
LOVE the DPOG belt, think it’s a really cool idea, and interested to see who ends up with the most “defences” at the end of the season.

Nice to see Green become more involved in the offence, dare I say he looked comfortable in the Shawn Marion style “Defence and junk plays” role...
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 07:11 AM)Derek Nowitzki Wrote: LOVE the DPOG belt, think it’s a really cool idea, and interested to see who ends up with the most “defences” at the end of the season.

Nice to see Green become more involved in the offence, dare I say he looked comfortable in the Shawn Marion style “Defence and junk plays” role...

I have to point out that in one short stint, our rook cost us badly 5 plays in a row. I was yelling at him to get his act together. Rick took him out and he never returned. I am happy to see him playing and doing some good things. He is coming along nicely but let's not let him off the hook for turning the game in a very wrong direction at one point.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 08:42 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I have to point out that in one short stint, our rook cost us badly 5 plays in a row. I was yelling at him to get his act together. Rick took him out and he never returned. I am happy to see him playing and doing some good things. He is coming along nicely but let's not let him off the hook for turning the game in a very wrong direction at one point.
For sure. Far from perfect, but I think this was the first game we saw glimmers of what he could be for this team.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 08:42 AM)Reunion Mav Wrote: I have to point out that in one short stint, our rook cost us badly 5 plays in a row. I was yelling at him to get his act together. Rick took him out and he never returned. I am happy to see him playing and doing some good things. He is coming along nicely but let's not let him off the hook for turning the game in a very wrong direction at one point.

I also noticed this and in general he has just been a passanger on offense from the start of the season. Its going to be hard to "hide" him on offense going forward unless he significantly improves. I think he has zero 3s made this season despite several starts and many minutes and open opportunities to make them. Teams are going to study and find that out, leave him open and double Luka. That's why doubling Luka has worked so far, in partly at least.

Green has good positioning on rebounds, defensive and offensive. He is strong and athletic, moves well. Other than that, he just doesnt seem to have playmaking ability on offense, and his shooting is quiet bad. If you cant produce on offense, there is no way he will find a way to get many minutes down the stretch. On defense he is solid, but also in this game he showed quiet bad positioning defending one on one his opponent. Time after time they could push him off and get a easy layup. His positioning on defense here is wrong IMO, instead of letting them bump into him he should devert the opponent underneath and sideways, and give him opportunity to make it harder, and to make a block. He needs to fix this, otherwise this will be a major hole in our defense.

With all that critical aspect, there are many positives also to draw. He seems a good team player, with good effort and energy. And in general he moves well around. 

I think even if he improves on defense, he will need to start shooting much better and make some offensive plays and create something for others also. Otherwise team will target him in multiple ways.

I dont think he plays at NBA level at this moment, but the potential is there. His athleticism is on the NBA level. 

Will be great to have JRich, Maxi and DFS back. Then, doubling Luka will have far more consequences than when you have Green in there.
Like Reply
It's amazing how much better KP looks at the 5.  There has been talk about matching up KP with a rim runner, but KP is clearly at his best when he is the sole rim runner.  When we get fully healthy, it seems like the best lineups would be KP/Luka/DFS when going small and KP/Maxi/Luka when going big.  That leaves a lot of guys vying for minutes when KP is not on the floor, but WCS seems like the primary candidate as Powell has not fully recovered (and may never) and Boban is situational.  In the long term from a roster construction standpoint I think we need to put our stars in the best position to be successful, which means 5 out with KP at the 5.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 10:04 AM)mvossman Wrote: There has been talk about matching up KP with a rim runner, but KP is clearly at his best when he is the sole rim runner.

IMO the team needs to be able to do both. 1) Team KP with a rim runner and have KP space the court. 2) Have KP as the rim runner.

One of the problems is that KP has been a below average to average rim runner so far in his career. 34th percentile in his last year in NYK, 65th percentile last year (HUGE improvement), 57th percentile this year so far. 

I said it when he arrived here, KP NEEDS to learn how to roll to the rim effectively (80th percentile or better IMO) in tandem with Luka if this team wants to win a championship. I am seeing progress there and am hopeful.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 03:41 AM)burekemde Wrote: WCS has skills indeed that are useful at this very moment. But Ive never seen an NBA player with less natural ability to finish at the rim. Easy layups and dunks. Its incredible how many he misses. Even the ones he makes, could easy have been misses. Luka brings him in position to score easy 20 or more and he scores half of that or less.
Why do you suppose that is?
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 03:41 AM)burekemde Wrote: But Ive never seen an NBA player with less natural ability to finish at the rim.

His shooting at less than 10 foot range...

18-19: 59%
19-20: 66%
20-21: 62%

DP...

18-19: 73%
19-20: 72%
20-21: 52%

KP...

17-18: 57%
19-20: 59%
20-21: 73%
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 10:54 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Why do you suppose that is?

IMO, he needs more time in the weight room.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 11:04 AM)mtrot Wrote: IMO, he needs more time in the weight room.

This could be one thing. He seems not very comfortable making the layup and dunking, its like he is waiting for someone to make contact or getting fouled. If he was stronger perhaps he wouldnt care with opponents, and get to the basket more easy and with more focus.

It could just be that he does not have the basic fundamentals here to make layups and dunks? Was this always an issue in his career? I never watched him when he played for Kings, and in games against Mavs did not payed attention to him. He is playing much more this season and this issue is noticable now.

If he had this fixed he would be so much better. I anyway appreciate the impact he has done, he has done many things well. But every time he gets the ball around the basket, I dont have a feeling he is in any sort of control, even an open layup feels like 50/50 if he makes it or not.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 11:52 AM)burekemde Wrote: This could be one thing. WCS seems not very comfortable making the layup and dunking, its like he is waiting for someone to make contact or getting fouled. If he was stronger perhaps he wouldnt care with opponents, and get to the basket more easy and with more focus.

It could just be that he does not have the basic fundamentals here to make layups and dunks? Was this always an issue in his career? I never watched him when he played for Kings, and in games against Mavs did not payed attention to him. He is playing much more this season and this issue is noticable now.

If he had this fixed he would be so much better. I anyway appreciate the impact he has done, he has done many things well. But every time he gets the ball around the basket, I dont have a feeling he is in any sort of control, even an open layup feels like 50/50 if he makes it or not.

mtrot is probably right that some time in the weight room would be beneficial

But I am not convinced that this is solely a strength issue (realize that no one said it was). As you point out, there is a helter-skelter aspect to his offensive game. That can be good in keeping defenses unbalanced, but it doesn't help to get to the basket if you can't finish with a bucket or draw a foul and hit free throws.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 02:12 AM)phiL Wrote: Short question: mavsluvrs post are always shown black in black so that i have to highlight the text to read it. Why is that?

If you're on "dark" theme, switch to "light"...or maybe it's called "classic."

(01-21-2021, 03:48 AM)burekemde Wrote: More and more and more, I am liking the Luka and Brunson backcourt. Brunson is getting better off the ball. And he is exactly that playmaker some people here, including me, are wanting to have next to Luka. Last game he showed he can be that.  

This is huge. Not because he has a chance to be a starter here someday (although he might, I guess) but simply because the ability to play with Luka is his only hope of having ANY future with the Mavs. I'm watching this development eagerly, too. Good observation.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 01:02 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Feels like the enitre team knows that a locked in WCS is a high impact player. Coach, teammates, probably even the janitor all trying to boost his confidence. It´s difficult to manage a sensitive/fragile player but a fully unlocked WCS would make things a lot easier for the Mavs.

Yes, I was struck by how happy Willie's teammates were that he got the award.
Like Reply
(01-21-2021, 12:08 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: mtrot is probably right that some time in the weight room would be beneficial

But I am not convinced that this is solely a strength issue (realize that no one said it was). As you point out, there is a helter-skelter aspect to his offensive game. That can be good in keeping defenses unbalanced, but it doesn't help to get to the basket if you can't finish with a bucket or draw a foul and hit free throws.
The weight room might help some but I think the benefit wouldn’t be great.  KP has an ectomorph body and it’s super difficult to put on weight and muscle.  I don’t know what his weight routine is now but I think he looks pretty solid for that body type and as a fellow ectomorph I would give a left nut for his build.
Like Reply