Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mavs 93, Raptors 116
RAPTORS TRAMPLE DEPLETED MAVERICKS 

Well, blecch. 

With four players still out, another just back from 10 days off, still another playing hurt, on the second night of a back-to-back, on the second game of a five-in-seven stretch, on their ninth road game of a 13-game season, your Dallas Mavericks managed to hang in for 30 minutes, but finally the wheels came off in the third period, and the whole bus crashed and burned in the fourth. Woah. 

GAME STORY

The Mavs got a little good news before the game, learning that Brunson was available to return after a lengthy absence, and Hardaway was available after missing the last game with a groin strain. 

Rick put both returners into the starting lineup, which featured Luka, Brunson, Hardaway, KP, and WCS. 

The first quarter started with a shot clock violation by the Mavs, which perhaps was a harbinger of things to come. Both teams looked pretty bad, and the game was played close, until the Raps put together a little run toward the end. Inside the last minute, Carlisle got into it with a referee and was called for two technicals in quick succession and tossed. Don’t know what the argument was about — Rick declined to elaborate after the game. Mavs were down 18-22 after one. They were 1-10 from range, but so was Toronto, so there we go. 

The Mavs caught up early in the second. Then the Raptors built a double-digit lead, which Dallas proceeded to recover from. Not much of an offensive battle. The teams were locked at 47-47 at the break. 

Our boys hung in for the early part of the third, and the game was tied at 59-all at the 6:16 mark. Then, the Raptors’ shooters started heating up, and their team built a 14-point lead by 3:24. Dallas managed to chisel the deficit to single digits by the end of the period, but barely, trailing 72-81 after 36 minutes. 

The fourth was a massacre. The Mavericks had just flat run out of juice. 

STATS

Dallas just couldn’t score. Despite taking nine more FTAs and three more 3PTAs than their opponent, they had a total deficit of 23 points, hitting an embarrassing 38%/25% from the field. The Raptors waltzed through the lane at will, and the Mavs gave up 56 points in the paint. All together, the point differentials for the Mavs were -20 on points from twos, -9 on points from threes, and +6 on made free throws. Turnovers played a big part in the loss, as our team surrendered 22 points off turnovers, and the Raps lost only three. Sheesh. 

The Mavs’ high scorers were KP with 23 points, Burke 17, Luka and Johnson with 15 apiece, and Brunson 13. On the other end of the spectrum, three of the rotation players had goose eggs in the points column, along with all of the garbage-minutes guys. Yikes!

PLAYERS

Porzingis. Let’s start with the good news, and comment on KP first. Kris looked good this game, after much speculation about whether he would even play on the SEGABABA. He had a nice stat line, with 23 points, 8-14 shooting, and 9 boards in 32 minutes. He showed improvement in a broad range of aspects in addition to shooting and rebounding, doing a good job of cutting, running the floor, affecting shots, and moving energetically and decisively. After the game, he said he is feeling better and better, and is very eager to play. 

Doncic. Luka’s stat line was decent (15/7/9), but he took only 11 shots, and completed just 4 of those, missing all three of his 3PTAs. It appeared that the Raptors’ scouting report advised swarming Luka and ignoring everyone else, and they employed a box-and-one defense to implement that instruction. You might not expect to see that defense used past middle school, but it did the job on Dallas. 

Luka reported after the game that every time he tried to drive, four guys were in the paint, so he took only 11 shots. He added that he tried to pass to the other guys when he was double-teamed, but “the shots didn’t go in.” He didn’t think that the team had handled the Toronto defense well, and he looked tired, frustrated, and discouraged. Ended by saying that when they were winning, the locker room was happy, basketball was enjoyable, and he hopes they can get back to that. Indeed. 

Brunson. Jalen played 27 minutes in his return, scored 13 points, and was the only Mav to have a good night beyond the arc (3-4). Rick thought he had a very good game, “considering everything,” including providing the team with fresh legs and energy. His conditioning didn’t appear to have suffered to any dramatic extent. However,  he said after the game that he doesn’t recommend jumping right from 10 days off to playing a game, but he “did what I had to do.”

Hardaway. Tim had a terrible night, going 0-12 from the field, and not scoring a single point. To his credit, he did search for some other ways to contribute. For example, he fought for a rebound to the point that he drew a loose ball foul on Baynes, drew a charge against Siakam, and forced a turnover when Lowry tried to back him down. But, he was 0 for 12, and the team counts on him to put up points.

I feel certain that the groin strain was still bothering him, as he was generating little lift, and missing short. He was T’d up early in the fourth for landing on a Raptor’s foot, and walked to the bench with a very discouraged look, not to return for the rest of the match. Both Harp and KP mentioned how much Tim wanted to play, but in retrospect, I think he came back a little too early.  

WCS. Willie started the game, but played only 19 minutes. He had a few good moments, but for the most part, I thought he looked pretty ineffectual. He racked up 6 points, 3 boards, and 3 turnovers, and didn’t seem to offer much in the way of resistance as the Raptors romped past him. Maybe I’m being too harsh. I hope I am.

Bench. Johnson and Burke each had 26-27 minutes off the bench, and the duo were the only members of the reserves who put up any points to speak of. Johnson was 15/6/2, and hit 6 of his 11 shots. Burke had 17 points and 3 assists, and also shot pretty well (5-11). Looking at the box scores, one would think they performed admirably, but the team bled points when they were on the court (-20, -16, respectively). Both seemed like they were playing over their heads, trying to assume responsibilities that are too much for them. Maybe it’s the fault of the virus, more so than the players or the coaches. Good possibility of that, methinks.

Iwundu and Green got 16-19 minute runouts  and the team needed their help. Neither was much of a factor offensively, but I think the important thing in a game like this is that they had the chance to get out and play, and hopefully pick up a few things. 

Raptors. Toronto had five guys in double figures, led by Kyle Lowry with 23. They didn’t have a particularly great game themselves, but they regained their shooting touch, took excellent care of the ball, focused 80% of their defensive effort on Luka, and came out smelling pretty. They were scrappy, but I think they are beatable with something approaching our “real team.”

OBSERVATIONS

Rick thought the guys got out to a good start, and made a great comeback in the second quarter. Unfortunately, in the second half, they just “didn’t have enough juice on either end.” He thinks the “murderous schedule” is difficult to manage, but they are trying to be attentive to the players’ getting enough rest, and not messing up their body clocks with all the travel. He thought the team had dealt poorly with Toronto’s defense, adding that they are going to face other teams using unusual defenses as well, and they might as well get used to it. Said he is really looking forward to getting Brunson and Hardaway all the way back, since they can score, can defend within the system, know how to play, and are veterans. 

This was a frustrating game, in the same sense that some other recent games have been. Almost every offensive possession is laborious, as the players grind and grind to get a score. Then, even if they get a stop, it seems like they can’t string much else together. They’ll give up an easy basket, or allow an offensive rebound, or turn the ball over, or something. They look a lot like a team that’s in the middle of a very tough schedule, that has never played with all of its main guys together, that has four guys out, another playing injured, and is compiled to a significant extent of third-stringers. 

It’s nobody’s fault, but I feel like the Mavs have been snakebit. All these other teams that can’t cobble eight players together on a given night are getting to postpone their games to a time when they will probably be stronger. Whereas we are not in a much different state, and are having to wreck our season trying to play without half our main guys in a parade of games that would be tough for the best teams. 

I know that all the reasons that the team isn’t playing well are legitimate and fully explain why they don’t look like themselves. I feel confident that they will play much better, once they’re past these issues. The thing is, we probably won’t have our four guys back for a few more games, and then there will be a process taking several games to re-establish the chemistry and rhythm, and we could be 20-25 games into a a 72-game season before we even get a chance to perform at our best. After 13 games, we’re at 6-7, and more games are coming fast, before we have a chance to recover. Gulp. 

I guess all we can do is roll with it. Brunson is not far from being up to par. If Timmy needs a little more rest to heal his strain, it might be best to make him take it. DFS has made it back from Denver, although they don’t have an estimated date for him. Maxi and Powell are further away than DFS, as far as we know. Can we get everybody back and settled in in two weeks? Three? Four? Can we keep anyone else from getting sick or hurt? Guess that’s for the Powers That Be to know, and us to find out. 

I suppose we can do our part by supporting them in their upcoming battles. As someone once said, they also serve who only stand and wait. 

The next game is Wednesday, against Indiana. No rest for the weary. See you Mavs fans afterward, hopefully to celebrate a better result!
Like Reply
(01-19-2021, 02:10 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: This was a frustrating game, in the same sense that some other recent games have been. Almost every offensive possession is laborious, as the players grind and grind to get a score. Then, even if they get a stop, it seems like they can’t string much else together. They’ll give up an easy basket, or allow an offensive rebound, or turn the ball over, or something. They look a lot like a team that’s in the middle of a very tough schedule, that has never played with all of its main guys together, that has four guys out, another playing injured, and is compiled to a significant extent of third-stringers.

That´s exactly how watching this game feels.

We are as "good" as last years Hawks or GSW, but teams are still gameplaning against us like it is a playoff game and are playing with full effort from the start to the end.

We can hang around as long as things go right, but we are off as the opponent goes on a hot streak of shooting or the refs tag us with weak fouls. Then we need Luka to get Supernova just to get back in the game, but this costs him to much energy and we are even more fff...done.

The good thing is, we now know how much better J-Rich, DFS, Brunson, Kleber, Powell(yes I know he doesn´t have his full lift back(yet?)) and THJ are than just the next guy.
Like Reply
Thanks for the great synopsis, as usual.  This cannot have been a very easy game to write about.  Ouch!  Agreed that Luka can only do so much, and our shooters have to knock down these open threes that he is creating for them.  We are not going to win many games shooting 30% or less from three.  And the Mavs have to either improve their toughness under the goal or bring in somebody else who cannot be bullied around all the time.  Lots of work to do.
Like Reply
I wouldn't read too much into these losses.  nba season has lots of ups and downs.  THJ should not have played in this game, that's on the training/coaching staff.  The problem is that all 3 rookies have not been very good.  Three roster spots that mostly get DNP is a problem when COVID protocols deplete the team.  Not having D-league play is hurting them but the real question is if any of these players are any good.
Like Reply
It has been such a pleasure watching us avoid 3 losses in a row numerous times. Now, we are having a character building moment. It is good for the guys who are not yet ready to get PT so they learn just how far they have to go. It makes them just that much closer to stepping up to rotation level play.

We have indeed played three teams in a row that needed to play desperate to save the start to their seasons. It is just one of the things that is tough right now. We might have lost 2 of these games anyway with KP just getting his feet under him. 

Somehow, I would love to see us pull out a couple of games. We need to play desperate, get our people hot and sneak out a couple of wins so we can survive. I hope we don't have to survive a 9,10 seed play in but at least that is there for us if this character building moment simply lasts too long.

The other thing that could save us is that other teams my have similar circumstances pull them down as well. 

As I said on the golf course this morning....keep playing!
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
(01-19-2021, 10:28 AM)mtrot Wrote: Thanks for the great synopsis, as usual.  This cannot have been a very easy game to write about.  Ouch!  Agreed that Luka can only do so much, and our shooters have to knock down these open threes that he is creating for them.  We are not going to win many games shooting 30% or less from three.  And the Mavs have to either improve their toughness under the goal or bring in somebody else who cannot be bullied around all the time.  Lots of work to do.

Agreed, this team HAS to make their threes at a reasonable clip in order to have a chance. There is no way the Raps should have gotten away with their gimmick defenses. Yet, they did.
Like Reply
Luka is one of the three or four best players I’ve ever seen, going back to the Showtime era. The Mavs are a bit disappointing so far in terms of their success level given how great their star player is. Most teams with a Luka quality player are winning 50-60 games by now. The Mavs need to get their stuff together.
Like Reply
(01-19-2021, 04:45 AM)Mapka Wrote: The good thing is, we now know how much better J-Rich, DFS, Brunson, Kleber, Powell(yes I know he doesn´t have his full lift back(yet?)) and THJ are than just the next guy.
True enough, at least we know the cavalry is coming!
Like Reply
(01-20-2021, 12:10 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The Mavs are a bit disappointing so far in terms of their success level given how great their star player is.

I am personally feeling this. But for a comparison, here are Lebron's first five seasons:

35-47 (0.427)
42-40 (0.512)
50-32 (0.610)
50-32 (0.610)
45-37 (0.549)

Here are Luka's first two:

33-49 (0.402)
43-32 (0.573)

Sure, 6-7 is a disappointing start, but easily overcomeable.
Like Reply
(01-20-2021, 12:10 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Luka is one of the three or four best players I’ve ever seen, going back to the Showtime era. The Mavs are a bit disappointing so far in terms of their success level given how great their star player is. Most teams with a Luka quality player are winning 50-60 games by now. The Mavs need to get their stuff together.

I do agree with this. Its just such a contrast to see 4 rookies play next to him that play at the G-league level. WCS that doesnt know how to finish at the rim being completely open for a layup or dunk. A KP that is great, but coming back from injury and not playing his best.

Its a dangerous situation long term, the Mavs need to turn into clear contender in order to make sure Luka can see the bright future here. He is a lot more loyal, much more as Dirk, rather than as Lebron or Durant etc. etc. But still, he is a winner and I think he hates to lose.

Getting a third star can make things much more stable long term. Make sure we are clear cut contenders and that Luka preserves some energy for the playoffs.
Like Reply
One of the most important outcomes of this game is that Toronto was able to double Luka, and that did not get punished, it actually worked. That has to do with the level of players around him, that could not take advantage of this. 

But there is also the tactical element. When doubling Luka outside of the arc, it is relatively "easy" for defenses to move the ball away from Luka and prevent him getting the ball again. 

Instead, when teams do this, Mavs should target Luka in the high post. When he recieves the ball in this position, if any double team occurs and he passes out of this position, the spacing would be that great, that even our rookies that should play in G-league would destroy every NBA team out there. 

This is the tactical mistake done in this game IMO. Toronto kept doubling Luka high up the court, he passed the ball well, but then since WCS and rookies were unable to take advantage, Toronto recovered. 

If Mavs would have on almost every posession got the ball to Luka in high post. Then Toronto doubled. Would have been a completely different game and outcome. They would stop doubling him or lose. And lose if they guarded him one on one. 

I think that Mavs really need to prepare for the double teams. Often this is a tactical solution to this. This is a luxury "issue". You play 5 vs. 4 essentially, and there are many easy ways to take advantage. Mavs were not prepared well for that and we have seen it last season as well.
Like Reply