Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
THJ apology thread
(01-10-2021, 04:54 AM)pompelmo Wrote: JJ Redick never earned more than the MLE before Philly gave him this huge one year deal. And a one year deal is an expiring contract that doesn't cripple you rest of the way. He then got 25 million$ for two years.

He hit 45.4% of 6.6 threes per game last year, 57.7% on WO attempts, 41.7% on 2.5 open attempts, and 40.4% on 2.3 tightly contested attempts in 26.4 minutes per game.

Much more reliable and better shooter than Tim.  

I get that there will be a lot of money and not many players to go for so he might get overpaid. I am not sure that we are the ones who has to overpay him, though.  I'd rather have KP bomb from the outside and Luka work inside as primary options, then JRich, Maxi and Dorian are good enough as scarecrows on offense and far superior on defense. That leaves Tim the sixth man role. 20 million$ is Fred van Vleet, Malcolm Brogdon money.

Obviously we value JRich's contributions differently.

It is also Jerami Grant, Bertans, Gallo type of money. NBA market isn't really set by the bargains.
We probably value JRich differently, but I was talking about what the market will offer them; JRich is in the Jae Crowder category IMO, those players don't get paid highly. 
THJ is a scorer, and those guys get paid better in the NBA 
And I don't think THJ is getting 20, I see something around 16-18M. Which is close to 20 than 10M as I said. 

Quote:JRich, Maxi and Dorian are good enough as scarecrows on offense and far superior on defense. 

As @dirkfansince1998  said before, I think people are taking THJ shooting for granted, but it is essential part of our offense, with or without KP.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 05:05 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: It is also Jerami Grant, Bertans, Gallo type of money. 

But I already informed you that Bertans did not get such money. Check for yourself: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-w...early/cap/ 

Bertans' deal starts at 15.000.000$ and is considered an overpay by many, even when he is 6'10'' (not 6'5'') with an exceptionally quick release which makes his shot unguardable. What is your reason for valuing Tim above that?

Gallo is more than a spot up shooter. Jerami Grant didn't get that contract because he is a shooter. He got that because Detroit considered him a two-way primary option, just like Brogdon and VanVleet. Tim isn't that player. His arch type is JJ Reddick... or Seth Curry. hmmm...

You don't need a player that jacks up 10 threes per game when you already have two 30% usage players in the line up. You might be right that he may attract a huge offer in a tight market, but that doesn't mean we have to match it.
Like Reply
My favorite THJ play from tonight's game.

[Image: Tim-Hardaway-Jr-Full-Play-against-Orland...-2-AST.gif]
Like Reply
Tim's trade value is probably at the max, right now. Should Donnie be fielding calls? Making calls?
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 03:55 AM)Mapka Wrote: I don't see it. Who would this upgrade be?
Are there better players? Sure. But his fit is just so seemless. He is the flamethrower on the court and a leader and exemple off. 

Is he streaky? Hell yeah. 
Is this a problem? I don't know.
Mathematically it will win as many games as it looses. 

Being streaky adds to the spacing pull.
If I am the opposing coach I would do more to keep him quite than to stop Luka. Luka will just bully you no matter what, but if THJ goes Nova he will hit anything from everywere. And Luka will get him the ball in a pocket. 

The same is for Burke on a lesser level.

I am fine with THJ at the moment, I really don't like giving him another contract. Last year I liked that the Curry + THJ combo meant there was a good chance that one of them was hitting their shots. Often Curry would get more minutes when he was "on" at the expense of THJ's minutes. If Burke can be in that similar situation then great.

I really want someone who has a better history of shooting and/or scoring in general or if possible playmaking as well. THJ has a history of not shooting the ball particularly well, especially when he has a larger role on offense, as he did in NYK.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 04:54 AM)pompelmo Wrote: JJ Redick never earned more than the MLE before Philly gave him this huge one year deal. And a one year deal is an expiring contract that doesn't cripple you rest of the way. He then got 25 million$ for two years.

He hit 45.4% of 6.6 threes per game last year, 57.7% on WO attempts, 41.7% on 2.5 open attempts, and 40.4% on 2.3 tightly contested attempts in 26.4 minutes per game.

Much more reliable and better shooter than Tim.  

I get that there will be a lot of money and not many players to go for so he might get overpaid. I am not sure that we are the ones who has to overpay him, though.  I'd rather have KP bomb from the outside and Luka work inside as primary options, then JRich, Maxi and Dorian are good enough as scarecrows on offense and far superior on defense. That leaves Tim the sixth man role. 20 million$ is Fred van Vleet, Malcolm Brogdon money.

Obviously we don't agree on the value of JRich's contribution to the team.

I do think assuming that THJ has another good year he will get MLE-level or bigger money on a shorter deal. We saw as you mentioned JJ has been getting bigger money on short contracts and others are getting these 1 or 2 year deals at bigger money. 

Like is paying THJ 20 mil for a 1 year deal next year a big deal? No not at all, bc its just money (Cubes not mine) and you don't have to lock in years. Mavs have his bird rights and so could just overpay on short deals as long as they want THJ around. THJ has too long a history of not being able to carry a larger role to be able to get like a 3-4 year deal with 15 mil/yr average. If he gets something like that it's going to be sad for the team giving him that contract.
Like Reply
Jordan Clarkson got $13M/yr and is a comparable player. I don't see $10M as realistic.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 08:56 AM)david75090 Wrote: Tim's trade value is probably at the max, right now. Should Donnie be fielding calls? Making calls?

I think the same and I think THJ should be traded to maximize his return this trade deadline. I don't think it will happen, but I think it should.
Like Reply
Looks like THJ is up to 43.8% shooting from 3 this season, on 8.9 attempts per game (up from 7.2 last year). Overall shooting percentage at 46%, up from 43.4% last year.

I suppose it's still a relatively small sample size, but trends are positive that he'll exceed last year's volume and percentage. The only negative is free throw shooting.

Defensive BPM has improved to -.7 from -1.4 last year.

Definitely puts him in the driver's seat when it comes to negotiating a new contract.
Like Reply
I don't think we can afford to trade him right now. Once all the COVID stuff is behind us and KP is playing, that's a different story.

(01-10-2021, 02:30 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Looks like THJ is up to 43.8% shooting from 3 this season, on 8.9 attempts per game (up from 7.2 last year). Overall shooting percentage at 46%, up from 43.4% last year.

I suppose it's still a relatively small sample size, but trends are positive that he'll exceed last year's volume and percentage. The only negative is free throw shooting.

Defensive BPM has improved to -.7 from -1.4 last year.

Definitely puts him in the driver's seat when it comes to negotiating a new contract.

That 3PT percentage will fall.  He's had two supernova 3PT shooting nights.
Like Reply
(01-10-2021, 10:18 AM)loki Wrote: Jordan Clarkson got $13M/yr and is a comparable player. I don't see $10M as realistic.
I could see the Mavs going up to $15M/yr to reward him being a team player. I hope they don't go higher than that, or longer than 3 years, if they do re-sign him. His ideal role is as a 6th man you can ride when he's hot and sit when he's not.
Like Reply
After THJ's terrible start, he's been averaging 20.6/4.0/2.6 on and hold onto your seat for this one, 49.0% FG, 46.3% 3pt, 68.4%

So safe to say THJ had himself a big week. No way is that sustainable.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/fT21kpgTP3.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
THJ has been the best player in the NY trade.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 10:27 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: THJ has been the best player in the NY trade.

Shots fired!

THJ growing on me. You need guys that are aggressive on offense and can hit 3s.
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 10:27 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: THJ has been the best player in the NY trade.
[Image: giphy.gif]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

You got it twisted, Burke holds that spot currently. #bubbleizlyfe
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 02:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: You got it twisted, Burke holds that spot currently. #bubbleizlyfe

The way Burke and KP were playing against the Bulls, the spot belongs to Lee Smile
Like Reply
(01-18-2021, 02:57 PM)omahen Wrote: The way Burke and KP were playing against the Bulls, the spot belongs to Lee Smile
My bad, you win!
Like Reply
THJ has proven by his absence vs Chicago how important he is to this team. His week is even more impressive when you consider his yoyo in the lineup.

Granted he will drift back to the mean statistically when other players (not Green/Iwundu) return to the rotation but in their absence THJ is vital.
Like Reply