Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POWELL THREAD
(12-20-2020, 02:20 AM)bin610 Wrote: He might not be a great defender or good shooter but he's elite at creating buckets for others and is the hardest worker. You need guys like this on every team.
Yes for a certain amount of money.

I don´t even think people diagree about Powell´s skillset. It´s only that people disagree about what it is worth and whether you can win with him in the play-offs. It is so easy to game-plan for, if you actually try. Usually in the last five minutes of a regular season game and during the play-offs.

Things Powell is good at

1.) Setting screens
2.) Moving off the ball/reading plays offensively
3.) Finishing around the rim
4.) Off-court leadership

Things Powell is not good at

1.) Shooting
2.) Passing
3.) Rebounding
4.) Blocking
5.) Stealing
6.) Defense

So basically all the things people most associate with professional basketball.

To me what he does is worth between the minimum and $5M dollars. If you want +$10M for that you better be a decent passer and above average defender, too.

In his last full season 2017/2018 Powell´s minutes and numbers were virtually identical (slightily inferior rebounding/blocking) to those of Alex Len and Jakob Poeltl. Jakob Poeltl is getting paid $8.8M, because he is just 24 years old and the Spurs have nobody else at center. Still makes less money than Powell. Alex Len is getting paid $2.2M. 

This would not matter, if basketball had no salary cap, but it does. That means we are missing out on $6-10M in available salary. Players end up being overpaid. Happens all the time. Usually doesn´t happen with early extensions. The whole point of early extensions is security for the player and to cover against projected higher future costs for the team, not screw yourself over earlier and know it immediately, too.
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 04:11 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: This would not matter, if basketball had no salary cap, but it does. That means we are missing out on $6-10M in available salary. Players end up being overpaid. Happens all the time. Usually doesn´t happen with early extensions. The whole point of early extensions is security for the player and to cover against projected higher future costs for the team, not screw yourself over earlier and know it immediately, too.

We didn't use any cap since we did the extension, tough we could even have cleared a max slot. 

The sweet spot is always between the cap and the tax. And we have been there all the time. Without the injury he would be a better asset on 10 mio than an 2.2 mio because he could bring more money back. 

By the way, Poeltl and Len are absolutly unable to defend the perimeter, Powell has problems defending the post. They are as good as a benchmark as Boban lol.
Like Reply
Powell can at least rotate to the right spot and close out on defenders to contest their shot for what it's worth. He moves his feet pretty well but skilled players can still turn the corner on him. I think he's just okay enough to be on a good defensive unit. This is despite the fact that as an individual defender he is pretty mediocre.
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 05:12 AM)Mapka Wrote: We didn't use any cap since we did the extension, tough we could even have cleared a max slot. 

The sweet spot is always between the cap and the tax. And we have been there all the time. Without the injury he would be a better asset on 10 mio than an 2.2 mio because he could bring more money back. 

By the way, Poeltl and Len are absolutly unable to defend the perimeter, Powell has problems defending the post. They are as good as a benchmark as Boban lol.
Maybe you wanted to write logic instead of lol at the end, cause otherwise I can´t find any logic in that whole argument. Confused
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 09:13 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Maybe you wanted to write logic instead of lol at the end, cause otherwise I can´t find any logic in that whole argument. Confused

Big Grin  the logic is that there isn't any harm in his contract yet, as we had no  use for cap yet.

Or are we talking about Len? My point is defense on the perimeter is more value and Len/Pöltl are centers and Powell is a 4/5 hybrid. So comparing their contracts is not that easy.
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 02:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: You just summed up my feelings on Locked on perfectly. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like Nick, but your description really does match. Plus the fact he's a diehard Laker fan just adds to it.  

Isaac is definitely more likeable and I feel has a better grasp on basketball, but struggles to finish any thought. It like he meanders through a sentence and hopes to connect it sometime later. 

I liken it to the Mcdonalds of Mavs news. It'll get the job done but its never really the best choice.

Yeah, I think what you guys are saying is accurate. Isaac is the draw for me, and I know he's not polished as a speaker, but I think he knows what he's talking about regarding the Mavs, and I like him.
Like Reply
Turner is the most gettable upgrade for Powell and I don't think it's even close.
Like Reply
We should extend Powell to a 5-year 205 million contract.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 07:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We should extend Powell to a 5-year 205 million contract.

We love our Powell's in blue.
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 07:56 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We should extend Powell to a 5-year 205 million contract.

ANALYTICS!!11
Like Reply
The issue with guys like Harris, Karralla, Followill is that they’re Mavs‘ employees. They’ll never say things as bluntly as guys who aren’t getting paid by the Mavs. Just a conflict of interest.

But they all do what is expected from them pretty well. The locked on-guys for instance put out stuff pretty much daily iirc. That’s a lot of time to fill with Mavs-talk.
Like Reply
(12-21-2020, 10:32 AM)JamesConway Wrote: The issue with guys like Harris, Karralla, Followill is that they’re Mavs‘ employees. They’ll never say things as bluntly as guys who aren’t getting paid by the Mavs. Just a conflict of interest.

But they all do what is expected from them pretty well. The locked on-guys for instance put out stuff pretty much daily iirc. That’s a lot of time to fill with Mavs-talk.

What you're saying is true if you're looking for criticism when the Mavs are screwing up in some way. But the payoff is if you want some bball talk that is going to include clues and be informed by what the team is actually thinking. 

Interestingly, guys that aren't employed by the team like Jake Kemp or Brad Townsend interact with these team guys and usually aren't all that far off from them on what they think the team is doing.
Like Reply
I go back and forth on Powell. I am really annoyed when he doesn't do well but excited when he does well. We will see if he can keep up that high FG% this year. I am less worried ab his injury now that I have seen him play. I also think Maxi is the closer when it counts so I am not super worried about Powell killing us in an important playoff game. He's a guy I would probably like to get upgraded but I understand if the Mavs keep him around.

That being said I wish we could just see what it would look like, especially with KP out to have Maxi or WCS in the starting lineup, just to see how they perform, even if it's for one game.
Like Reply
(12-21-2020, 12:33 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: That being said I wish we could just see what it would look like, especially with KP out to have Maxi or WCS in the starting lineup, just to see how they perform, even if it's for one game.
It is extremely hard to gleen anything from 1 game.
Like Reply
(12-21-2020, 01:02 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It is extremely hard to gleen anything from 1 game.

Well true but you know what I mean just even a small sample size of hey let's see what WCS can do for a game or two would be interesting. Maybe with injuries and all that we will see this but who knows.
Like Reply
(12-21-2020, 01:23 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Well true but you know what I mean just even a small sample size of hey let's see what WCS can do for a game or two would be interesting. Maybe with injuries and all that we will see this but who knows.
I want at least WCS to get a shot at starting during RC's "beginning of season mad scientist lineup tinkering" time. He will usually give a player 5-8 games in a different role, seemingly to get the analytics to figure out what they need to figure out about those players together.
Like Reply
I still cant figure out why Powell annoys me so much.  Probably because he looks like a chicken with his head cut off in the paint trying to play defense.  I cant understand how someone so athletic is so bad at paint defense.  If he could block some shots like Brandon Wright did, I wouldnt hate his stupid face so much.

I appreciate the advanced stats guys.  I dont discount them.  I'm also a big baseball fan and I like advanced stats for that sport much better since it's a mano a mano sport.  Basketball is more complicated.  I just cannot believe Powell is a good defender no matter how he rates out.  I begrudgingly admit he fits our system great and he isn't terrible.  But I still hate his stupid face.
Like Reply
(12-22-2020, 08:46 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I still cant figure out why Powell annoys me so much
you mean apart from his stupid face?
Like Reply
(12-22-2020, 08:46 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I still cant figure out why Powell annoys me so much.  Probably because he looks like a chicken with his head cut off in the paint trying to play defense.  I cant understand how someone so athletic is so bad at paint defense.  If he could block some shots like Brandon Wright did, I wouldnt hate his stupid face so much.

I appreciate the advanced stats guys.  I dont discount them.  I'm also a big baseball fan and I like advanced stats for that sport much better since it's a mano a mano sport.  Basketball is more complicated.  I just cannot believe Powell is a good defender no matter how he rates out.  I begrudgingly admit he fits our system great and he isn't terrible.  But I still hate his stupid face.

The FBI sends someone to check on me every time Dwight jumps as high as he can go catch a bounce pass. Afraid I might go postal. Rightfully so.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(12-22-2020, 08:46 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I still cant figure out why Powell annoys me so much.  Probably because he looks like a chicken with his head cut off in the paint trying to play defense.  I cant understand how someone so athletic is so bad at paint defense.  If he could block some shots like Brandon Wright did, I wouldnt hate his stupid face so much.

His defense is not good especially next to DFS. I think the team defense numbers will probably fine once KP is back (assuming he stays as a starter). But no he is not a good individual defender. He can move his feet around and he tries hard but that's ab it.

On offense he's very active which I think is why Rick likes him. He sets screens constantly and has a knack for rolling to the basket. I think in general he makes the offense flow better, like oil greasing gears. I can live with Powell I guess but him next to DFS is just asking for trouble. Those two should not be your starting frontcourt. Either bench Powell for WCS or Maxi or bench DFS for Maxi.

I was happy to see the Mavs guide put DFS on the cover not Powell with the other starters. That gives me hope that Powell might move to the bench when KP is back.
Like Reply