Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POWELL THREAD
(12-18-2020, 11:45 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: Powell will still be one of our top 7 players

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
I'm most curious to see who we end the games with 
Seems like he should still be a passable guy in the first 3 quarters, but we're going to blow a low of winnable games if we try to play Powell at C in crunch time
True before the injury. Even more true now
Like Reply
(12-18-2020, 11:45 PM)Reunion Mav Wrote: and Powell is still in the playoff rotation.
Powell hater!
Like Reply
(12-19-2020, 02:40 AM)Jym Wrote: I'm most curious to see who we end the games with 
Seems like he should still be a passable guy in the first 3 quarters, but we're going to blow a low of winnable games if we try to play Powell at C in crunch time
True before the injury. Even more true now

I do think Powell is a 3 quarters player and especially during the Playoffs you aren't going to see him much in the 4th quarter.
Like Reply
I haven't posted on this board before, but I am Powell fan. That part doesn't even matter-that Rick is a fan does matter. Powell is the Rick offense. Powell has been compensated with a contract that reflects his worth offensively under Rick, and it makes him harder to trade IMO because he is such a specific system player. Another point-I'm pretty sure Luka is a fan, too, because Powell makes his job a lot easier on the offensive end.

I love "is Powell worth it" arguments because they're fun and open-ended, but let's be clear on who carries the burden of proof in these arguments: the Powell haters.
Like Reply
(12-19-2020, 09:41 AM)DaRiv Wrote: I haven't posted on this board before, but I am Powell fan.  That part doesn't even matter-that Rick is a fan does matter.  Powell is the Rick offense.  Powell has been compensated with a contract that reflects his worth offensively under Rick, and it makes him harder to trade IMO because he is such a specific system player.  Another point-I'm pretty sure Luka is a fan, too, because Powell makes his job a lot easier on the offensive end. 

I love "is Powell worth it" arguments because they're fun and open-ended, but let's be clear on who carries the burden of proof in these arguments:  the Powell haters.

I agree with this sentiment. Powell helps the offense get going especially in the first quarter. The current version of Powell is tough bc not only do you get rusty-coming-off-of-injury Powell but you also see him next to DFS which is the worst frontcourt partner he can have. It could be worse before it gets better if Rick chooses to pair them together. DFS is more likely to get benched for size that Powell is likely to get benched imo. You could do Maxi + Powell in the starting lineup and have an excellent starting 5 with DFS helping the bench unit. When KP comes back DFS is likely going to the bench anyway so I think this is the way it should go.
Like Reply
Some of it is seniority. With Barea out he is now the longest tenured Mav here so he is important to the culture.

His play style really isn't conducive to a nice recovery from an Achilles and I expect Johnson is going to start eating into some of his minutes as we get later in the season and Carlisle gets more comfortable with playing him. But his minutes won't get cut too much because of pecking order mechanics
Like Reply
(12-19-2020, 03:48 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Powell hater!

Downvote
Like Reply
Here’s a new podcast episode during which they dive into Powell a little. It’s a fair account of the surface level of logic that goes into forming Powell’s role on the team.

Bobby (from numbers on the board, the ceiling is the roof, etc) is a cool listen. The other dude, Isaac, is the almost listenable half of that awful locked on Mavs podcast. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ma...0502837040
Like Reply
Would you trade Harry Barnes for Powell?
Like Reply
(12-19-2020, 07:37 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Would you trade Harry Barnes for Powell?

[Image: tenor.gif]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1340019335813865476

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/status/...3783063559
Like Reply
I'm not a big fan of his style of play, especially on defense, but I recognize his the one Mav player that's been with the longest. His a smart guy (Stanford), he was with Dirk in his latter years, he play with us when we had Monta Ellis, Vince Carter, playoffs with 15-16 and 16-17 with Deron Williams. His been around quite a few veterans to know what it means to be in the league. Culture is important in setting up the right basketball environment. Having Powell with the team is the model, however, as the other posters have said, his one-dimensional player. 

Even so, I would not ever trade the guy . . . as long he doesn't regress significantly on the court.

Well, here's to hoping this season would be the best Powell season.
Like Reply
I like Dwight Powell he's the best

I hate Dwight Powell he's the worst

The current year as of this post is 2019

2 truths, 1 lie. Can you guys figure it out?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-19-2020, 02:55 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Here’s a new podcast episode during which they dive into Powell a little. It’s a fair account of the surface level of logic that goes into forming Powell’s role on the team.

Bobby (from numbers on the board, the ceiling is the roof, etc) is a cool listen. The other dude, Isaac, is the almost listenable half of that awful locked on Mavs podcast. 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/ma...0502837040

I like Numbers on the Board a lot better, but I like Locked On too. I'll have to check this out. Haven't heard Bobby and Isaac together before.

When's the Killer and Fif podcast dropping? :-)
Like Reply
Or better yet, how about the new podcast with Dan and SleepingHero called What is a Powell?
Like Reply
Wait, no, nevermind. The podcast we need is WAB and Rasheed'sBigWhiteSpot. Don't know what it should be called just yet.
Like Reply
He might not be a great defender or good shooter but he's elite at creating buckets for others and is the hardest worker. You need guys like this on every team.
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 01:30 AM)fifteenth Wrote: but I like Locked On too

I wish the Locked on Mavs podcast was better. I would love a daily dose of Mavs. 

Isaac Harris knows a bit about basketball (C+) but it's tough to fight through his tenuous grasp of the English language to find his points. Even when his grammar and vocabulary don't hold him back, he struggles to connect ideas cogently. When I can find the center of what he's trying to express, I usually agree with it. 

Nick Angstadt is the opposite. He has clearly worked hard to become a professional radio type. He speaks well, and my guess is that he has studied ways to come off well on air. Unfortunately, he's either A) a little short on basic basketball understanding or B) just not all that bright. He usually - not sometimes, but usually - misses the point of what Isaac or the occasional guest offers. For an example of this, go listen to the episode where he interviews a prominent sports doctor (can't remember which) about KP's most recent injury. It's 30 minutes of awkward laughter by the doctor as Nick proves which each follow up (and I mean ALL of them) that he has completely misunderstood the doctor's clear answer to Nick's previous question. Seriously, it's bizarre, almost like he's trolling the guest. And speaking of awkward laughter, despite what I said above about Nick being polished his need to end every question/sentence with annoying laughter makes me want to burn the internet down. 

I have a hard time believing the Mavs version isn't one of the worst locked on podcasts.
Like Reply
(12-20-2020, 02:29 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I wish the Locked on Mavs podcast was better. I would love a daily dose of Mavs. 

Isaac Harris knows a bit about basketball (C+) but it's tough to fight through his tenuous grasp of the English language to find his points. Even when his grammar and vocabulary don't hold him back, he struggles to connect ideas cogently. When I can find the center of what he's trying to express, I usually agree with it. 

Nick Angstadt is the opposite. He has clearly worked hard to become a professional radio type. He speaks well, and my guess is that he has studied ways to come off well on air. Unfortunately, he's either A) a little short on basic basketball understanding or B) just not all that bright. He usually - not sometimes, but usually - misses the point of what Isaac or the occasional guest offers. For an example of this, go listen to the episode where he interviews a prominent sports doctor (can't remember which) about KP's most recent injury. It's 30 minutes of awkward laughter by the doctor as Nick proves which each follow up (and I mean ALL of them) that he has completely misunderstood the doctor's clear answer to Nick's previous question. Seriously, it's bizarre, almost like he's trolling the guest. And speaking of awkward laughter, despite what I said above about Nick being polished his need to end every question/sentence with annoying laughter makes me want to burn the internet down. 

I have a hard time believing the Mavs version isn't one of the worst locked on podcasts.

You just summed up my feelings on Locked on perfectly. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like Nick, but your description really does match. Plus the fact he's a diehard Laker fan just adds to it.  

Isaac is definitely more likeable and I feel has a better grasp on basketball, but struggles to finish any thought. It like he meanders through a sentence and hopes to connect it sometime later. 

I liken it to the Mcdonalds of Mavs news. It'll get the job done but its never really the best choice.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply