Poll: Which do you prefer going forward for game chats?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I prefer using Discord as how we interact during games
30.43%
7 30.43%
I prefer using the traditional GameThreads on the forum
69.57%
16 69.57%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discord vs Gamethreads?
Hi everyone, as you can see we're experimenting with how we're doing game night chats. 

Obviously we want to do what everyone prefers, so here's a poll. I hope as many people reply so we can get a good idea on what everyone prefers. I'll leave this poll open until opening day before PHX

Also feel free to discuss other ideas here. This is the perfect time to brainstorm.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
So my impression was we would have a gamethread for more thoughtful and in depth discussion and then encourage the chat for the reactions and ongoing commentary.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 10:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: So my impression was we would have a gamethread for more thoughtful and in depth discussion and then encourage the chat for the reactions and ongoing commentary.

Yeah, but then you commented that not enough people were in the discord the other night. 

I kind of thought tonight was a trial run on doing just the discord.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 10:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, but then you commented that not enough people were in the discord the other night. 

So I see two types of game discussions that are both good and both have their place:

1) I want to dig into an observation that is more than one play and a reaction.  <----- GAMETHREAD

2) I want to react and comment as things unfold.  <------ DISCORD CHAT

I have usually stayed away from the gamethreads because they are used more like a chat and I find that too hard to follow....I think the discord worked GREAT for that fast ongoing stuff.
Like Reply
Discord is interesting and has more "fun" tools but I can follow conversations better in here.   I'm okay either way.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 10:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I have usually stayed away from the gamethreads because they are used more like a chat and I find that too hard to follow....I think the discord worked GREAT for that fast ongoing stuff.

You see I'm the opposite. I prefer the more slow burning gamethreads, even if they're used more like a chat, because you can pick and choose what you want to follow and how often you refresh. 

Discord is just a little too fast paced for my liking. I can deal with it but I prefer the more traditional format.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
My personal opinion is that we're all best served if we're all in one place. I like the discord for its speed and for a change of pace, but if the majority of people would prefer to do the traditional game thread thing, then I'll probably be in there with them.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 10:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: we would have a gamethread for more thoughtful discussion.

Oxymoron alert.
Like Reply
Honestly I kindof have login fatigue and am hesitant to open new accounts. But I might have to give Discord a try at some point.
Like Reply
I think that was the most fun I had reading a gametime thread/chat. It was a bit fast, and I found myself missing some points in the game cause I was trying to keep up with my reading, but in all, I liked the Discord. SBJ and SH were pretty hilarious with their DP stuff! Esp once Dougie chimed in.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 10:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My personal opinion is that we're all best served if we're all in one place.

Right so again my thought (maybe in more clarity?):

I will make a gamethread a day or so in advance. Pre-discussion goes there. Post-discussion goes there as well. 

BUT during the flow of the game we encourage those who want to engage to be in discord and do the ongoing commentary there.

Either way we need a gamethread IMO, but unless people don't like Discord then I say we encourage folks to be in Discord DURING the game....then come back to the thread for post game discussion.

Am I making any sense?
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 11:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Right so again my thought (maybe in more clarity?):

I will make a gamethread a day or so in advance. Pre-discussion goes there. Post-discussion goes there as well. 

BUT during the flow of the game we encourage those who want to engage to be in discord and do the ongoing commentary there.

Either way we need a gamethread IMO, but unless people don't like Discord then I say we encourage folks to be in Discord DURING the game....then come back to the thread for post game discussion.

Am I making any sense?

Yes, this post clarified your vision significantly, and I love this idea.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 10:42 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You see I'm the opposite. I prefer the more slow burning gamethreads, even if they're used more like a chat, because you can pick and choose what you want to follow and how often you refresh. 
agree with this, and you dont lose much attention to the game while still keeping up with the thread
Like Reply
I like the gamethreads here - especially if I wasn't up to speed (or dvr'd the game).  Thanks for asking.
Like Reply
There are several more chat versions that could be tested also I found doing a Google search...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Just my preference...I like to watch the game as it unfolds.  Later I'll go back over the game thread here.  I find commenting during a game to be distracting.
Like Reply
https://chatwee.com/

https://opensource.com/article/20/4/open-source-chat
Like Reply
How do I find the discord? Whats it called?
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 08:23 AM)wisco Wrote: How do I find the discord? Whats it called?

@"wisco"

Here is the thread I made that has the discord link and also the backup forum site if this one goes down...

Both were created by SBJ...

https://www.qabickcents.com/dallasbasket...hp?tid=685
Like Reply
I think it's fine that some will prefer one over the other. For a live event Discord is so much easier to follow than game threads in my opinion. It's annoying having to refresh the page a lot. I have enjoyed Discord these first two preseason games.

(12-14-2020, 10:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: My personal opinion is that we're all best served if we're all in one place. I like the discord for its speed and for a change of pace, but if the majority of people would prefer to do the traditional game thread thing, then I'll probably be in there with them.

I mean I don't think so. Honestly trying to do a live conversation on like 90's technology is odd to me but I get how many of you like that. I think Discord is great. I am a daily Slack user but Discord has a lot of the same features for free.
Like Reply