Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MavsTV Options this season...
(12-14-2020, 11:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: It's basically League Pass without blackouts for your market's team. You choose home, away or mobile broadcasts. I know there is the national broadcast option they were talking about too, I just haven't seen that option obviously since there are no nationally broadcast games. The commercial breaks you get past highlights and stuff. Sometimes there is a camera going on a timeout and stuff. Every team, all games, all broadcasts and you can replay previous days.

Is it legal?

How can it be league pass, but so much cheaper?
Like Reply
So no apps on appleTV, but you can airplay it from your device. I started watching tonight's game using airplay. You can pause and rewind the stream too, I haven't delved a bunch into that though. Last game I started it 15 mins late and could only rewind to the point where I started watching. So to watch the beginning of the game I had to wait for the game to end. Not sure if that was because of the "trial" or fully the function. Will test on next game.

(12-14-2020, 11:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is it legal?

They've been around since 2016 and haven't been shut down, but haven't read into it far enough to know if it is legal or not. They might not be big enough to worry about shutting it down right now if it is illegal.
Like Reply
I went with Sportsurge last night.  Had to try several different streams before I found one that worked without constant buffering.  After that it was fine. I have 5 different options for sports streaming but I always seem to end up on Sportsurge--which, I guess, is really an aggregator of streaming options.  Is it legal?  I don't care.  There are no legal options for me that work any better...or at all...

I don't mind paying money for quality like I was getting on FSSW.   When the broadcast is switched to KTXA 21 it is not available where I live.  So...Sportsurge to the rescue.
Like Reply
HeHe showed up after Ballstreams went out of business.  I think the claim was that the nba had the credit card companies to bail on them.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 11:25 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is it legal?

It's not legal, they are rebroadcasting the league pass stream. At this point I don't care. I signed up for HeHe and the Roku app worked great for me. I would do the "official" league pass if they would let me but of course I can't legally get it bc Arkansas is also blacked out.

I see this as a short-term problem, I believe Sinclair is going to offer direct to consumer at some point which will be another option. It's also possible they come to an agreement eventually with YTV and other streaming services.

I would consider AT&T as well, I would like to know what ppl coming from YTV think of the AT&T app.
Like Reply
(12-14-2020, 11:23 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I haven't checked into the mobile part yet as I just watched at my desktop last 2 games. I believe there is an airplay option though. I'll get back to you on that in a minute, going to check.

You know? I haven't renewed my League Pass yet. This looks very interesting at half the cost. They even have full replays of games.

I might try out Hehe next game and see how it is. At 90 dollars even if it lasts halfway into the season I'd be okay with it
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Wait a sec. 

I just realized why this website hasn't gone down. They're basically a proxy. Read the terms and conditions.

Under Streaming they say: Any video content shown on this website is not hosted by HeheStreams or transmitted by a HeheStreams-controlled server. 

Which if I understand right, that means they're basically providing a platform to connect you to those sketchy free NBA streams as a proxy, and their own website is protected if the NBA wants to go after them, since the actual illegal content isn't on THEIR server. 

Meanwhile, they rake in the cash and don't really take on any risk. And because they're basically a proxy, they can search and provide as many feeds as possible, hence the no blackouts, even nationally televised games. 

Again I might be wrong, but from a quick glance at their terms of service and how IGT was having the exact same issues as I was last night using league pass (FSSW feed not working originally), I think this is how they've stayed in business for 4 years
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 11:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I think this is how they've stayed in business for 4 years
It also explains the 10-20 second delay from others. I would get "JRICH!" so I knew what was coming up...hehe.
Like Reply
So, here's another ignorant question (sorry in advance):

If all hehe is doing is collecting illegal streams and selling them to me at a discount, why should we not just find the illegal streams ourselves?
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 01:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If all hehe is doing is collecting illegal streams and selling them to me at a discount, why should we not just find the illegal streams ourselves?

I mean you can, they're freely available and nothing is stopping you. Except by visiting those sites, you're potentially putting yourself at risk. These free streams have to make money somewhere right? A good ad-blocker is a must if you want to visit those sites. I go a step further and use a pop-up blocker as well. Even then don't click anything but the player.

You'd also be committing a crime by viewing these streams, either on Hehe or otherwise. And I use "crime" in the loosest sense of the word. The odds of the FBI coming and knocking your door for viewing an illegal stream is hilariously low, but not zero. I think they're more concerned with the providers of said streams rather than the consumers, but I've heard stories of people getting letters from their service providers and/or law enforcement basically saying stop or bad stuff will happen. Just something to keep in mind.

So it seems like Hehe is giving you a platform free of sketchiness because they're making you pay for a subscription instead.
Like Reply
Other thought with hehe is that if one streaming service gets shut down, they'll find another one to use so you don't have to. Basically you're paying for the research and trial and error of searching for illegal streams. At this point, I could care less since FSSW doesn't care that it's really hard for us as users to figure out how to watch our team.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 01:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: So, here's another ignorant question (sorry in advance):

If all hehe is doing is collecting illegal streams and selling them to me at a discount, why should we not just find the illegal streams ourselves?

This is why I decided against hehe...not because it is illegal, or shady, but that it is just another aggregator of peer provided, and/or shady/illegal streams...just like Sportsurge and many others. Hehe charges money...Sportsurge does not.  That's a no brainer for me. Sportsurge has been the most reliable, so that's the one I use--when I am forced to do so.  In any of the aggregators there will be many streams provided by many different sources.  Try a stream.  If it works...fine.  If not...try another.  Rinse and repeat until you have  something that works for you.  I'm not advocating being a scofflaw, but if it's not available any other way...what the hell.  Apparently broadcast stations and legal sports streamers don't care.  Apparently Cuban doesn't care either as long as he can see dribs and drabs of million$ pouring in.
Like Reply
So, does the revenue loss not mean much to Sinclair? 

I mean Hulu, YTV, etc., were still positive revenue, even if it wasn't as much as Sinclair might want. There is also loss of viewership, which will (in my understanding) affect how much Sinclair can charge advertisers, so there is additional incentive to keep the view numbers up, even if it's secondary on DVR recordings. That will then affect how much Cuban gets for broadcast rights.

Anyway, I just get frustrated because I don't know if it's just a negotiation tactic if there is a permanent split, since there is no real harm until the season starts.
Like Reply
(12-16-2020, 03:16 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: This is why I decided against hehe...not because it is illegal, or shady, but that it is just another aggregator of peer provided, and/or shady/illegal streams...just like Sportsurge and many others. Hehe charges money...Sportsurge does not.  That's a no brainer for me. Sportsurge has been the most reliable, so that's the one I use--when I am forced to do so.  In any of the aggregators there will be many streams provided by many different sources.  Try a stream.  If it works...fine.  If not...try another.  Rinse and repeat until you have  something that works for you.  I'm not advocating being a scofflaw, but if it's not available any other way...what the hell.  Apparently broadcast stations and legal sports streamers don't care.  Apparently Cuban doesn't care either as long as he can see dribs and drabs of million$ pouring in.

Hehe might be relaying other streams, not sure I kind of doubt it though. More likely hehe is paying for these streams and then rebroadcasting them. I am not sure how many markets there are but you would just need to get enough NBA league streams to cover all the markets so that you don't have any blackouts.

I pay for hehe so that I can get the DVR, replay functionality + the Roku app which works great.
Like Reply
(12-15-2020, 11:50 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I just realized why this website hasn't gone down. They're basically a proxy. Read the terms and conditions.

Under Streaming they say: Any video content shown on this website is not hosted by HeheStreams or transmitted by a HeheStreams-controlled server. 

Which if I understand right, that means they're basically providing a platform to connect you to those sketchy free NBA streams as a proxy, and their own website is protected if the NBA wants to go after them, since the actual illegal content isn't on THEIR server. 

Meanwhile, they rake in the cash and don't really take on any risk. And because they're basically a proxy, they can search and provide as many feeds as possible, hence the no blackouts, even nationally televised games. 

Well, their streams have functionality (like the ability to pause, rewind, and start from the beginning) that most of the normal sketchy ones do not. So I suspect they're definitely doing something unique here. They're being creative about it to minimize legal exposure (they seem to have been around for a while, so it seems to be working), but there will always be a risk of it being taken down at some point.

From an end-user perspective, it seems like a low risk for the price as long as you're ok with the premise. And I've gotta say that Sinclair isn't making it very easy to be noble about it.
Like Reply
I am purchasing the service (hehe) Friday and I bet FSSW comes back to YouTube TV the next day...
Like Reply
(12-16-2020, 05:47 PM)Tyler Wrote: Well, their streams have functionality (like the ability to pause, rewind, and start from the beginning) that most of the normal sketchy ones do not. So I suspect they're definitely doing something unique here. They're being creative about it to minimize legal exposure (they seem to have been around for a while, so it seems to be working), but there will always be a risk of it being taken down at some point.

From an end-user perspective, it seems like a low risk for the price as long as you're ok with the premise. And I've gotta say that Sinclair isn't making it very easy to be noble about it.

Right so they get an NBA stream, maybe they get an international one and so they don't have any blackouts? At any rate they use CDNs and all that stuff to store the videos on their own platforms so that they can rebroadcast. Definitely worth paying for bc you get a better product. I am not thrilled ab having to do this but I feel sort of backed against the wall. I also feel like this is a short-term problem bc either Sinclair will do direct to consumer or get back onto these streaming services or both within the next year.
Like Reply
(12-16-2020, 05:33 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I pay for hehe so that I can get the DVR, replay functionality + the Roku app which works great.

Very good point.
Like Reply
This is a really frustrating situation. I'm still holding out hope that YTTV works something out, but it sounds like Sinclair is going the route of a separate streaming app. Even if it's reasonably priced, it sounds like it would be available until at least mid-late 2021. My only legal options right now are ATT products or Spectrum. Spectrum is probably the most appealing choice because, even though they don't advertise it, you can forego their boxes and just use their streaming app. I'm not sure how well their cloud DVR works, which is a must for us. Honestly the NBA and MLB need to do some soul searching and come up with a better way to get their products to their home markets or they're going to struggle attracting young fans. They may be making a windfall off of the Sinclair deal right now, but it's going to hurt them in the long run.
Like Reply
Chiming in to say that the VPN to India and League Pass purchase for $13.99 worked for me today.  It feels a little slimy, but at least I can watch the Mavs now.
Like Reply