Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Olympics and FIBA summer
Luka comes up short, but USA retains its status as the world’s basketball superpower. Fun tournament though.  Who had the best individual performances, IMO?

1) Durant — If the NBA played under FIBA rules, he’d probably be the GOAT.
2) Mills — Annihilated Slovenia and also looked like a top 5 player in the world against the US.  How the hell did the Nets get this guy for $6 million per, and why weren’t the Mavs in on him?  He’s exactly what we need.  Can you say asleep at the wheel.
3) Luka — GOAT start but faded in the business end of the tournament. He’s carried the heaviest load in the world between the Mavs and this Slovenia team, so who can blame him.
4) Gobert — He’d also be much better if the NBA used FIBA rules. 
5) Holiday — What a great season. Undoubtedly the pickup of the year last year for the Bucks.
Like Reply
Luka must be tired of never having the quality of teammates his opponents have.
Like Reply
I think it's hilarious that the Aussies are called Boomers.  I wonder if any opponent trash talked them by saying: Okay, Boomer.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 08:02 AM)Branduil Wrote: Luka must be tired of never having the quality of teammates his opponents have.

To be fair, Luka had really bad game.
Like Reply
Slovenia had a good first run on the Olympics stage but it just shows you how hard it is to medal. Australia has been doing this for years, going back to Andrew Bogut, and this was their first medal. You could tell they were motivated because this was probably the last chance under their core with Patty, Ingles, and Delly. Would have been nice to see Luka get a medal but Australia just wanted it more. Slovenia will have a better team in 2024 and beyond with an older Luka and Cancar, plus they have a few prospects with NBA potential to replace the Dragic brothers.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 08:00 AM)Bayliss Wrote: Not really.  The USA will have plenty of talent to combat those teams.  Guys like Trae Young (who in 4 years could easily be a superstar especially in international competition).  Zion could easily be a major force because in 3 years he could develop a jumpshot.

And I'm sure guys like Tatum nd Booker will be better than what they are now.  And then you have guys that have just been drafted that could be the next superstar anyway.  

The only way the US will ever be in trouble is if they send college kids again.  And no one on the world stage right now is as good as what Spain and Argentina were in the early/late 2000s......

The USA also brought a weak roster without KD in the 2019 World Cup and didn't do well. They wouldn't have won gold in Tokyo if it wasn't for him, he carried a pretty underwhelming roster. Not sure if they get past Spain or survive that horrible 1st half against Australia without him. Also Pop has gotten a lot of heat compared to Coach K leading them.

They will always have All Stars and a better overall roster than any other country but as of now, it seems they are going to lack a generational superstar talent (ex: Kobe/LeBron/KD) that they have had in every Olympics after the 2004 bronze. Especially KD since he's perfect for the FIBA style. When the US has a Top-3 player in the world playing, they will always be fine because even with their B squad, they can win against the rest of the world. But unless someone from the next generation makes a huge leap, the US will probably have to go to the next Olympics without a Top-3 player for the first time in like 20 years. 

I think Spain and Argentina will go on the decline as their main players for their golden era retire. But France and Slovenia are on the rise, their golden era should be this decade. And if Canada ever decides to figure it out and play to their potential with all the NBA talent they have, they could be a contender too.

This decade should really be competitive on the world stage. 
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 08:02 AM)Branduil Wrote: Luka must be tired of never having the quality of teammates his opponents have.

I suspect today he’s more tired from Australia targeting him on switches and tired of Mills blowing by him like he wasn’t there.  We will always have a good efficient O (though more diversification of attack would help).  But, the D around him is just as big an issue (half of the game…right).  The guys who can help with the D and hit 3’s and create are all NBA.  The trick is going to be putting the right combination of guys who can do 2 of the 3 well around him.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
His ability to play defense is fine i think, his condition is just not very good. He looked like the best defender on Slovenia in other games. He is on the Jokic 3 years ago condition. He isn't capable of spending too much energy on defense. The moment his legs are gone, the amount of bad shots increases. Like clockwork.
Slovenia also had 3 more games with the qualifying tournament. Either he takes more care about his body at some point, or its going to be limit his ceiling going forward. Concerning is that he might wanna play every summer now. If he doesn't pull a Jokic ... Training camp is in 6 weeks (?) already.

long season - Olympics -> no rest/preperation - long season

Euro
World Cup
Olympics

Coming up. Hope i am wrong, but i have my doubts that this will be the season Luka takes the next step condition wise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 08:49 AM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The USA also brought a weak roster without KD in the 2019 World Cup and didn't do well. They wouldn't have won gold in Tokyo if it wasn't for him, he carried a pretty underwhelming roster. Not sure if they get past Spain or survive that horrible 1st half against Australia without him. Also Pop has gotten a lot of heat compared to Coach K leading them.

They will always have All Stars and a better overall roster than any other country but as of now, it seems they are going to lack a generational superstar talent (ex: Kobe/LeBron/KD) that they have had in every Olympics after the 2004 bronze. Especially KD since he's perfect for the FIBA style. When the US has a Top-3 player in the world playing, they will always be fine because even with their B squad, they can win against the rest of the world. But unless someone from the next generation makes a huge leap, the US will probably have to go to the next Olympics without a Top-3 player for the first time in like 20 years. 

I think Spain and Argentina will go on the decline as their main players for their golden era retire. But France and Slovenia are on the rise, their golden era should be this decade. And if Canada ever decides to figure it out and play to their potential with all the NBA talent they have, they could be a contender too.

This decade should really be competitive on the world stage. 

They will have a Top 3 player, it just won't be Durant.  And all the international games for the US.  This is no longer US vs Angola in 92.  The biggest thing that US has to adjust to is the rules in international ball, and just being cohesive as a team with little prep time.  it isn't a talent issue.  The US has the most talent and will always have the most talent than anyone else.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 09:55 AM)sefant Wrote: His ability to play defense is fine i think, his condition is just not very good. He looked like the best defender on Slovenia in other games. He is on the Jokic 3 years ago condition. He isn't capable of spending too much energy on defense. The moment his legs are gone, the amount of bad shots increases. Like clockwork.
Slovenia also had 3 more games with the qualifying tournament. Either he takes more care about his body at some point, or its going to be limit his ceiling going forward. Concerning is that he might wanna play every summer now. If he doesn't pull a Jokic ... Training camp is in 6 weeks (?) already.

long season - Olympics -> no rest/preperation - long season

Euro
World Cup
Olympics

Coming up. Hope i am wrong, but i have my doubts that this will be the season Luka takes the next step condition wise.

It's my second biggest complaint from him.  He does not have the same dedication to his body that Dirk did.  (I think part of that was Holger's doing with all the practices to get ready before and after the season.  Luka is still relatively young, but he is entering his 4th year.  There will come a point in time where all the being in shape won't matter because of injury or body fatigue (worn out) or diminishing reflexes/quickness/agility....  he better take advantage of it.  

(And the second gripe is he has to learn to let someone else have the reins for a little bit.  You can't be so ball dependent and expect to win in the NBA.  That works on lower levels because you may be leaps and bounds better than everyone else.  But in the NBA, the gap isn't so great and you have several players who are on par with you (and some on the same team) so you have to allow others to shine.  An him doing that would also help with his conditioning too.  Easier to be fresher in the 4th if you don't hold the ball for 40 minutes every night.)
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 09:00 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: the guys who can help with the D and hit 3’s and create are all NBA.  The trick is going to be putting the right combination of guys who can do 2 of the 3 well around him.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 09:55 AM)sefant Wrote: his condition is just not very good

Yep, diet and conditioning are not superstar level. It is THE issue IMO.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 08:17 AM)omahen Wrote: To be fair, Luka had really bad game.

Yeah, because he was tired. It was already obvious in the France game. That´s why he focused on passing so much in that game. I was pretty confident Australia would win this game, because it was obvious Luka was empty for awhile, which is a pretty bad spot going against Thybulle/Exum.

No doubt in my mind that Luka has to and can get in better physical shape, but nobody can be in the shape that the Mavs/Slovenia demand from Luka on a daily basis. If the Mavs don´t get him a secondary ballhandler soon, it will wear on him badly and his defense will never improve, because the offensive workload won´t allow it. They need to reduce his offensive workload and he´ll automatically improve on defense just for having better legs under him.
Like Reply
(08-07-2021, 01:23 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Yeah, because he was tired. It was already obvious in the France game. That´s why he focused on passing so much in that game. I was pretty confident Australia would win this game, because it was obvious Luka was empty for awhile, which is a pretty bad spot going against Thybulle/Exum.

No doubt in my mind that Luka has to and can get in better physical shape, but nobody can be in the shape that the Mavs/Slovenia demand from Luka on a daily basis. If the Mavs don´t get him a secondary ballhandler soon, it will wear on him badly and his defense will never improve, because the offensive workload won´t allow it. They need to reduce his offensive workload and he´ll automatically improve on defense just for having better legs under him.

Do you think he would relinquish control and play off the ball?  I'm not so sure.
Like Reply