Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: James Johnson to DAL | Wright to DET | Ariza + JJ to OKC
(11-21-2020, 04:48 AM)omahen Wrote: So much of what a positive value Wright is Smile I was hoping for something better, but I guess ok. We cleared 2021 money and got a servicable player. We now have 13 roster spots taken (no Barea, no WCS).

Let’s talk about Barea. Do we need an end of the bench play-maker for just in case?
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 04:54 AM)LukasBestFriendForeverTonyT Wrote: Let’s talk about Barea. Do we need an end of the bench play-maker for just in case?

I would say no to that. If TDL trades are possible, we need open roster spot, otherwise we will be again dumping a rookie on 4 year deal just to clear the spot. If really needed bring in center for vet min or cheap reclamation project and keep one roster spot open. Still many interesting options:
- hartenstein
- Harkless
- Dunn
- Hernangomez brothers
- Forbes
- Giles
- J. Carter
- Boucher
- S. Harrison
Like Reply
So that might be an even better deal than the one bringing in J-Rich. Johnson is exactly the kind of veteran reclamation project the Mavs have revitalized many many times. Love the size, love his playmaking (he was ramping up assists, when he was in Miami - I had him in my fantasy squad) and love his grit. In many ways the exact opposite of Jackson. If he can shoot at 36-37% from 3, he will see at least 20-25 mpg. Absolutely laughable, that some around here suggest, he might not play at all
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 07:05 AM)Thukydides Wrote: So that might be an even better deal than the one bringing in J-Rich.
Why are people so....
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 07:19 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 07:05 AM)Thukydides Wrote: So that might be an even better deal than the one bringing in J-Rich.
Why are people so....
What do you mean?
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 04:48 AM)omahen Wrote: So much of what a positive value Wright is

Wasn't a NEGATIVE asset and that was my whole point. You flipped him for a BIG expiring contract (worth a lot by itself) and a very usable, tough, gritty wing who has a career 14.6 PER (14.8 PER last year). I nor no one else was saying Wright was a big positive asset that was going to fetch a future 1st or something.
Like Reply
Let´s not get carried away with Johnson. He was a vehicle to dump Wright´s contract and become Luka´s bodyguard. He´s also at the stage of his career, where he could potentially re-sign for the minimum or one of the small exceptions next year, which I feel is always a bonus for veteran continuity.

Detroit was one of the few places, that made sense for Wright, so mission accomplished for unknown draft pick compensation. Most likely the 3rd second round pick used on Delon Wright´s brief Mavs career.
Like Reply
To add to Mavs2019, big expiring is worth a lot once you actually use it. Lee big expiring was worth nothing in the end. 

So far, the free agency has been pretty meh, but I can accept that there wasn't a better deal available. Johnson is still way better than Wright/Jackson. I would be very surprised to see any other trade with Mavs. I sure hope some trades appear at TDL because next year free agency class is just terrible unless Milwaukee or Clippers fall apart. I'd say Richardson is one of the top 3 remaining available FA actually, unless the plan is to splash a max offer for one of the RFA like Isaac or Collins (assuming they don't resign before 2021).

I am really scared of 2021 FA
Like Reply
I mens I’m not sure why anyone thought it would be some exciting offseason. They had no cap room. Really good players don’t sign for the MLE unless they’re trying to win the title with Lebron or another fave.

Maybe people thought Delon was worth more? But we should she known better.

If they finish out with another solid rotational price that brings something that is needed(secondary playmaking/scoring like Burk or another big) then it’ll have been a successful off season overall
Like Reply
Johnson is a solid pickup. Don´t like the trade but he is the kind of player that would have made sense for the vet min.
I don´t really buy his shooting numbers. Extremly small volume last season (less than 100 attempts) combined with bad FT-shooting.
Don´t think he will play a single minute at SF. He is a PF/C. A poor man´s Draymond. Other good comparisation would be Tucker without a 3-ball.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 09:17 AM)omahen Wrote:  I sure hope some trades appear at TDL because next year free agency class is just terrible unless Milwaukee or Clippers fall apart. I'd say Richardson is one of the top 3 remaining available FA actually.

I mean isn't that a likely scenario?

Clippers were beaten by young and upcoming Denver team, now they have downgraded their coaching,  lost their 6th man, their veteran supporting cast is getting older, while competition in the West is getting tougher.
Hell, PG might not even end the year with them.

Bucks has just ruined their trade for Bodg, used most of their assets on Jrue, while Celtics continuing to grow organically,  Raptors and Heat going nowhere,  and Nets might be the absolute favourite to win it all if Durant is back to 80% of his former self and Kyrie accept his role like he did in Cleveland 

Both teams could very well end up with another 2nd round exit.

PS: Even then, the likes of Dipo, Gobert, Dragic, Lowry, Derozen, Aldridge are ahead of Richardson as FA class goes. 

(11-21-2020, 09:20 AM)Drew Wrote: I mens I’m not sure why anyone thought it would be some exciting offseason. They had no cap room. Really good players don’t sign for the MLE unless they’re trying to win the title with Lebron or another fave. 

I think because many had thoughts about trades involving DFS,Maxi, 18th pick (Green) and THJ.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 09:30 AM)khaled1987 Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 09:17 AM)omahen Wrote:  I sure hope some trades appear at TDL because next year free agency class is just terrible unless Milwaukee or Clippers fall apart. I'd say Richardson is one of the top 3 remaining available FA actually.

I mean isn't that a likely scenario?

Clippers were beaten by young and upcoming Denver team, now they have downgraded their coaching,  lost their 6th man, their veteran supporting cast is getting older, while competition in the West is getting tougher.
Hell, PG might not even end the year with them.

Bucks has just ruined their trade for Bodg, used most of their assets on Jrue, while Celtics continuing to grow organically,  Raptors and Heat going nowhere,  and Nets might be the absolute favourite to win it all if Durant is back to 80% of his former self and Kyrie accept his role like he did in Cleveland 

Both teams could very well end up with another 2nd round exit.

PS: Even then, the likes of Dipo, Gobert, Dragic, Lowry, Derozen, Aldridge are ahead of Richardson as FA class goes. 

(11-21-2020, 09:20 AM)Drew Wrote: I mens I’m not sure why anyone thought it would be some exciting offseason. They had no cap room. Really good players don’t sign for the MLE unless they’re trying to win the title with Lebron or another fave. 

I think because many had thoughts about trades involving DFS,Maxi, 18th pick (Green) and THJ.
Sure but those were more pie in sky scenarios that maybe would have netted and upgrade at a position but also left them really thin behind them. 

with injuries to KP/Powell and the rest that’s going to be needed in this shortened season, they’ll need all the quality depth they’re usually known for.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 08:08 AM)Kammrath Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 04:48 AM)omahen Wrote: So much of what a positive value Wright is

Wasn't a NEGATIVE asset and that was my whole point. You flipped him for a BIG expiring contract (worth a lot by itself) and a very usable, tough, gritty wing who has a career 14.6 PER (14.8 PER last year). I nor no one else was saying Wright was a big positive asset that was going to fetch a future 1st or something.

Ya so @"Kammrath" was right on this all along. Mavs did not have to use a pick to unload Wright which means he was probably a slight positive asset given that he has an extra year on his deal. I am happy Mavs did not have to use draft capital to dump his deal.

I like the James Johnson fit and having that large expiring contract which are always useful to have *just in case* you need it. Mavs don't spend money just to spend it.

(11-21-2020, 04:54 AM)LukasBestFriendForeverTonyT Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 04:48 AM)omahen Wrote: So much of what a positive value Wright is Smile I was hoping for something better, but I guess ok. We cleared 2021 money and got a servicable player. We now have 13 roster spots taken (no Barea, no WCS).

Let’s talk about Barea. Do we need an end of the bench play-maker for just in case?

Been hearing he will be back but I wish we wouldn't waste a roster spot on him. I like JJB and think he would be decent especially being further removed from his injury. That being said I'd rather move on. The only thing is when you talk these end of bench guys you either need kids that won't complain ab minutes or vets who are both useful and won't complain ab minutes. There are many vets out there that are useful who will be unhappy with no minutes and guys who will not complain and are basically useless. If I had a choice btwn Lee and JJB being that guy who is useful in spots and doesn't need minutes, I would go with Lee. JJB can be a coach.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 09:55 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya so @Kammrath was right on this all along. Mavs did not have to use a pick to unload Wright which means he was probably a slight positive asset given that he has an extra year on his deal. I am happy Mavs did not have to use draft capital to dump his deal.

Sure., because Johnson 15 mil is a fair contract for the player like him Smile Two negative contracts were swapped...
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 10:11 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 09:55 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Ya so @Kammrath was right on this all along. Mavs did not have to use a pick to unload Wright which means he was probably a slight positive asset given that he has an extra year on his deal. I am happy Mavs did not have to use draft capital to dump his deal.

Sure., because Johnson 15 mil is a fair contract for the player like him Smile Two negative contracts were swapped...

We all knew this was gonna happen.
Somebody would take a try on Wright and we would get an useable bigger player on a bigger expiring.
I thought it might be Young. This could be even better.
To be him a "negativ"  asset we had have to give the pick.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 10:25 AM)Mapka Wrote: We all knew this was gonna happen.
Somebody would take a try on Wright and we would get an useable bigger player on a bigger expiring.

I think the T. Young comparison is a good one.  Similar dollars (and probably trade value) to Johnson in 20, but Young would have cost more in 21.  Well done.  I liked Young strategically because you could S/W him for $2mm cap cost.  So, for a similar player the Mav's managed to save some 21 space (but might have given up a second?)
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 10:25 AM)Mapka Wrote:

We all knew this was gonna happen.

Correct he wasn't negative bc he had an extra year on his deal and Mavs didn't have to give up a pick. If Wright was expiring then you could say he was neutral but with that 9 mil next year Detroit still thought he would be a useful player for them. Dwane Casey has coached him before so it would make sense that he would value his contribution. Only takes one team so for that I am happy.

Even though I would have liked a bigger splash for Wright + Jackson this is a perfect fallback plan for Mavs in that you dump those two guys, free up a roster spot, and get a useful player on a big expiring in return. Win all the way around. Another thing is it means you take Rick's car keys away when he wants to try to run Jackson at the 4 late in games bc other guys are injured and he thinks having no interior defense whatsoever is fine.

Johnson is a better version of what Mavs hoped they were getting in MKG last year.
Like Reply
(11-21-2020, 02:07 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(11-21-2020, 01:50 AM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/status/...3803871235
Anyone who complains about this off season should be traded to another forum for someone who can see how much better the Mavs are now and how they are setup for future moves...
I couldn't agree more, Clutch. Donnie Nelson has just murdered it this week. We are putting a better team on the floor with the draft, trades, signings and returns of Brunson/Powel AND have only improved our positioning for the TDL and 21 FA. It's been subtle, so maybe your average fan doesn't understand but for the folks around here .... winning!

(11-21-2020, 04:54 AM)LukasBestFriendForeverTonyT Wrote:

Not in my opinion. DAL has fully transitioned in to the next era and that includes leadership. I'd rather have the roster spot.

One is over and off the books going into 21 FA. The other isn't. DAL used two pieces that were completely out of the rotation and found a contributor and cap space.
" I always wanted to be a basketball player. Nothing more, nothing less." - Dirk Nowitzki
Like Reply
Sneak preview of the next game against the Clippers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyGMRPj358&feature=emb_logo
Like Reply
I like this move need some toughness
Like Reply